Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Chances of upgrade clearing / upgrade availability - 2012 and prior)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by DaChops
I am on flight 1020 dep DFW @ 11.55 tomorrow. Just seems crazy that there would be so many people willing to fork over for first class tix for an 1.5 hour flight, also if anyone would be expecting an upgrade I would think it would be me, seeing as I booked my ticket over three months ago.
According to EF, AA 1020 tomorrow has 1 available seat in F and 1 in Y.

Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2012, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by All American Flyer
DFW-MSY isn't a tough upgrade...even if there are only a couple seats I would not be surprised if you were #1 on the upgrade list and cleared
Well I'll still be holding my breath (not!) about getting mine (same route, 1/2). Lowly GLD... been years since I got upgraded. Sigh.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
I am on flight 1020 dep DFW @ 11.55 tomorrow. Just seems crazy that there would be so many people willing to fork over for first class tix for an 1.5 hour flight, also if anyone would be expecting an upgrade I would think it would be me, seeing as I booked my ticket over three months ago.
It is likely that most of the folks in F are originating elsewhere and connecting in DFW. Just like with DFW-AUS, no one in their right mind would buy F if that's their only segment, but plenty of F seats get filled prior to upgrades especially with those who bought international business class tickets. I would guess N.O. is a popular destination this time of year.

Originally Posted by All American Flyer
DFW-MSY isn't a tough upgrade...even if there are only a couple seats I would not be surprised if you were #1 on the upgrade list and cleared
I wouldn't be so sure. He's originating at DFW so any EXP connecting there would trump him. All of my misses this year came on DFW-AUS when I originated there.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
I'm thinking the same thing for Flight 633 from SJU to DFW on 02/24/13. GF and I booked back in May, used SWUs and are wait listed for J. At the time, 633 had only 2 J seats taken and Y was empty so we should have been first (or close to it) on the wait list.

Today I checked EP and there's only one J seat left open which leads me to believe either (a) all those people are paid J or (b) I got screwed again with the SWUs (there was some sort of change where we were moved to another flight but the SWUs were still wait listing for the old flight - I caught it based on the email they sent and called AA and the agent was basically "Oh well. Too bad, so sad. Our fault. Your loss")
Old Dec 30, 2012, 9:04 am
wjj

Programs: Former long time AA EXP and CK - 4 MM; Now LTPL; Hilton Diamond; UA Platinum
Originally Posted by AGuyAndADogInDFW
I'm thinking the same thing for Flight 633 from SJU to DFW on 02/24/13. GF and I booked back in May, used SWUs and are wait listed for J. At the time, 633 had only 2 J seats taken and Y was empty so we should have been first (or close to it) on the wait list.

Today I checked EP and there's only one J seat left open which leads me to believe either (a) all those people are paid J or (b) I got screwed again with the SWUs (there was some sort of change where we were moved to another flight but the SWUs were still wait listing for the old flight - I caught it based on the email they sent and called AA and the agent was basically "Oh well. Too bad, so sad. Our fault. Your loss")
If SWUs work the same way as complementary EXP upgrades (not sure if there is a difference), you would be passed over if you both are on the same PNR and upgrade seats are released one at a time. This rule really bugs me, but if the entire PNR cannot be upgraded at the same time, you get skipped over to the next person on the list. You could be on the top of the list the entire time but if say 5 upgrade seats are released one at a time, you are out of luck if there are 2 of you on the same PNR requesting upgrades. The next 5 single upgrade requests on the list would get the J seats and you will stay in Y. At T-3 you can split the PNR once it is under airport control, but by then, it is usually too late. You might get one, but rarely would you get both at that point.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, MR PLT
Originally Posted by wjj
If SWUs work the same way as complementary EXP upgrades (not sure if there is a difference), you would be passed over if you both are on the same PNR and upgrade seats are released one at a time. This rule really bugs me, but if the entire PNR cannot be upgraded at the same time, you get skipped over to the next person on the list. You could be on the top of the list the entire time but if say 5 upgrade seats are released one at a time, you are out of luck if there are 2 of you on the same PNR requesting upgrades. The next 5 single upgrade requests on the list would get the J seats and you will stay in Y. At T-3 you can split the PNR once it is under airport control, but by then, it is usually too late. You might get one, but rarely would you get both at that point.
Thanks, wjj. We're on different PNRs and I've had EF alerts running since booking, looking for seat openings for the upgrade.

While I have no clue if it's true, if we're playing by the rules and the game ain't rigged (), either all the SWUs were taken in the 4+ months between when we originally booked and the flight change to 633 or there are some SERIOUS ballers flying out of SJU on that day.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA since 1988 (ex-elite status); Alaska; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bostonoski
Well I'll still be holding my breath (not!) about getting mine (same route, 1/2). Lowly GLD... been years since I got upgraded. Sigh.
Success! Amazing... must be a half empty red-eye tonight First successful upgrades since 2006 (ok hhaven't tried hardly at all). SFO>DFW>MSY.
Old Jan 1, 2013, 9:35 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Exclamation This is no longer current nor a thread to post to

Originally Posted by bostonoski
Success! Amazing... must be a half empty red-eye tonight First successful upgrades since 2006 (ok hhaven't tried hardly at all). SFO>DFW>MSY.
w00t! Congrats on the upgrade!

=============MODERATOR NOTE================
PLEASE DO NOT POST TO THIS THREAD

• Please note this thread has been split; the current thread is
Chances of upgrade clearing, upgrade availability discussion (consolidated - 2013 on).

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 12, 2013 at 9:09 pm Reason: add mod note

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.