FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Which DUB / Dublin flights Pre-Clear Customs / Immigration (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/868349-archive-dub-dublin-flights-pre-clear-customs-immigration-consolidated.html)

GregL Sep 21, 08 5:42 pm

ARCHIVE: Which DUB / Dublin flights Pre-Clear Customs / Immigration (consolidated)
 
Simple question... I thought it did. But someone I talked to who took the flight in May said it didn't.

Any recent experiences?

Greg

mvoight Sep 21, 08 5:47 pm


Originally Posted by GregL (Post 10402798)
Simple question... I thought it did. But someone I talked to who took the flight in May said it didn't.

Any recent experiences?

Greg

It doesn't.

dg4255 Sep 21, 08 5:59 pm

Very strange you say it doesn't because Dublin and Shannon are the only European airports with US Immigrations pre-clearance. Since when did DUB get rid of it?

HNL Sep 21, 08 6:06 pm


Originally Posted by dg4255 (Post 10402864)
Very strange you say it doesn't because Dublin and Shannon are the only European airports with US Immigrations pre-clearance. Since when did DUB get rid of it?


Dublin did not get rid of the Immigration pre-clearance. This service is offered to flights departing the B Concourse in DUB. AA uses (more often than not), gates in the C concourse and the service is not available there.

bbkenney Sep 21, 08 6:14 pm

I agree. When did this stop?

Edited to say "ohhhh". Guess I've been lucky.

millionmiler Sep 21, 08 7:47 pm

I didn't pre-clear 3 weeks ago.

eireman Sep 21, 08 11:49 pm


Originally Posted by HNL (Post 10402895)
Dublin did not get rid of the Immigration pre-clearance. This service is offered to flights departing the B Concourse in DUB. AA uses (more often than not), gates in the C concourse and the service is not available there.

yes only available ex B gates, but as I understood it, AA decided to drop it due to long delays resulting in often late departing flights.
For those who have not used it in a long time and for those with Us passports or green cards, there is no Us citizen line. You all get in the same queue and line up for upwards of 1 hour.It is really pretty pathetic

My guess would be also that AA carrys proportionally more US citizens to ORd than does EI, so the net benefit of pre immigration at DUb is less given that immigration at ORd for citizens has never taken me too long. Prefer to remain in the lounge at DUB that line up to do it at DUB

GregL Sep 28, 08 12:11 am

Just to provide details on my experience. AA does NOT pre-clear in Dublin. Last week, my flight left out of D61 which is quite a hike from the EI lounge and then provides the added joy of a walk downstairs to the tarmac... over to the aircraft and then up the stairs to the plane.

The good news is that ORD immigration was DEAD. It took about five times longer walking through the maze of ropes than it did to go through immigration. With no bags, I was over in Terminal 3 in under 30 minutes from our arrival at the gate.

Greg

Colin Sep 28, 08 3:52 am

What's the point of US Immigration pre-clearance when you still have to be processed through US Customs upon arrival into the US?? It's not like DUB-ORD would arrive at a T3 gate if passengers were immigrations pre-cleared.

mvoight Sep 28, 08 5:26 am


Originally Posted by Colin (Post 10437094)
What's the point of US Immigration pre-clearance when you still have to be processed through US Customs upon arrival into the US?? It's not like DUB-ORD would arrive at a T3 gate if passengers were immigrations pre-cleared.

Are you sure? I think this is the way pre-cleared flights from Canada work.
I pre-cleared when I flew from Vancouver a couple of years ago and don't remember leaving the secure area when I connected in SEA.

HNL Sep 28, 08 5:48 am


Originally Posted by Colin (Post 10437094)
What's the point of US Immigration pre-clearance when you still have to be processed through US Customs upon arrival into the US?? It's not like DUB-ORD would arrive at a T3 gate if passengers were immigrations pre-cleared.


I've flown AA93 when the flight routed ORD-DUB-SNN-ORD and we pre cleared US immigration at SNN. When we arrived at ORD there was an airline rep that waved us past the long snaking immigration line. A short walk past the baggage belt and I was waved past the customs agent.

The key distinction between the pre-clearance in Canada vs Ireland is Canada offers customs clearance too, The Irish flights do not.

eireman Sep 28, 08 9:09 am


Originally Posted by HNL (Post 10437220)
I've flown AA93 when the flight routed ORD-DUB-SNN-ORD and we pre cleared US immigration at SNN. When we arrived at ORD there was an airline rep that waved us past the long snaking immigration line. A short walk past the baggage belt and I was waved past the customs agent.

The key distinction between the pre-clearance in Canada vs Ireland is Canada offers customs clearance too, The Irish flights do not.

Apparently the plan when all the terminal stuff is done at Dub ( IIRC) is that it will be like Canada eventually.

Bottom line right now is whether you do immigration at DUB/SNN or not, you still have to clear customs with your checked luggage in USA

eireman Sep 28, 08 9:17 am


Originally Posted by GregL (Post 10436785)
Just to provide details on my experience. AA does NOT pre-clear in Dublin. Last week, my flight left out of D61 which is quite a hike from the EI lounge and then provides the added joy of a walk downstairs to the tarmac... over to the aircraft and then up the stairs to the plane.

The good news is that ORD immigration was DEAD. It took about five times longer walking through the maze of ropes than it did to go through immigration. With no bags, I was over in Terminal 3 in under 30 minutes from our arrival at the gate.

Greg

IIRC the D gates are supposedly the new LCT when al the other work will be finished, so airlines are being moved around the airport for next few years yet.

Yes it will be fun at Dublin in the winter as we make that journey out to AA93 through the lashing rain and wait on the stairs as folks take for ages to store their hand luggage, come to think of it could have been this summer in Dublin

Does anyone know what they do in these dark,dirty, wet days of winter- do they have some sort of bus or covered walkway? I don't recall seeing anything like that.

Message to Dublin airport, without majority of jetbridges to the aircraft, you will remain a 3rd world airport

GregL Sep 28, 08 11:15 am


Originally Posted by eireman (Post 10437557)
IIRC the D gates are supposedly the new LCT when al the other work will be finished, so airlines are being moved around the airport for next few years yet.
...

Message to Dublin airport, without majority of jetbridges to the aircraft, you will remain a 3rd world airport

I have to say I was shocked that the D terminal did not have jet bridges even outside of the "low cost airline" portion of the building. For such a new facility, I can't imagine the costs of using jet bridges would outweigh the benefits of doing so.

Greg

EchoIndia Sep 28, 08 12:09 pm


Originally Posted by GregL (Post 10437898)
I have to say I was shocked that the D terminal did not have jet bridges even outside of the "low cost airline" portion of the building. For such a new facility, I can't imagine the costs of using jet bridges would outweigh the benefits of doing so.
Greg

In addition to the higher cost for the use of a jet bridge there is the slower turn-around time, the turn-around time being a big factor for some operators.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 4:25 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.