Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Which DUB / Dublin flights Pre-Clear Customs / Immigration (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Which DUB / Dublin flights Pre-Clear Customs / Immigration (consolidated)

Old Oct 6, 13, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone tell me if the lounge at DUB is post or pre preclearance please?

It makes a big difference if you can get all the formalities done with and just wait at the lounge until boarding time or if you have to leave the lounge early to go through the immigration/customs/security requirements.

If the latter then how long before departure do you usually leave the lounge for preclearance?
Old Oct 6, 13, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Elevate View Post
Can anyone tell me if the lounge at DUB is post or pre preclearance please?

It makes a big difference if you can get all the formalities done with and just wait at the lounge until boarding time or if you have to leave the lounge early to go through the immigration/customs/security requirements.

If the latter then how long before departure do you usually leave the lounge for preclearance?
Lounge in Dublin - EI, is prior to pre-clearance. Used it this morning, average at best. Pre-clearance was empty and it turned out I didnt need more than 10 minutes from lounge to gate. Too bad as I ended up sitting about for 50 minutes at the gate.

ORD t3 domestic arrival is a dream, as is the AA DUB JFK. By far the best way to enter the US.
Old Oct 6, 13, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jucstransport View Post
Lounge in Dublin - EI, is prior to pre-clearance. Used it this morning, average at best. Pre-clearance was empty and it turned out I didnt need more than 10 minutes from lounge to gate. Too bad as I ended up sitting about for 50 minutes at the gate.

ORD t3 domestic arrival is a dream, as is the AA DUB JFK. By far the best way to enter the US.
Thanks very much for that - good to know.
Old Oct 6, 13, 7:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
..but the time needed there can vary, especially if not a US citizen. So yes, do leave early. Indeed, they'll normally start calling flights to go to USCBP over the tannoy quite some time before departures to ensure folks get through.
Old Oct 6, 13, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Like colmc says the preclearance times can be quite variable. If you don't have a US passport or Global Entry then even a short line can vary depending on who is in the line ahead of you.

That said, I've never actually been stuck waiting more than 10-20 minutes. I would be pretty comfortable leaving the lounge 45 minutes before the flight. An hour is more than enough.

After preclearance there are very few services. There's a coffee stand that sells a few things and some vending machines and that's about it.
Old Oct 16, 13, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
I've not been through preclearance in forever, and never from DUB. Is there a good duty free for whiskey at DUB, or should I buy in the city? If I do buy in the city, I'll have to check it in... will it be checked through to my final destination? I am connecting at ORD. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 13, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond
I'm not sure about good selection, but most of the airport between airport security and the preclearance area is duty free shopping, so there should be some choices. After preclearance there is a little duty free stand that would have 1 or 2 options.
Old Oct 16, 13, 6:13 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
I just came back from Dublin today. You can check out their duty free at www.theloop.ie

THe process goes like this: 1) Airline check in counter 2) Airport Security 3) Duty Free/Food Court 4) Terminal, limited food options 5) US CBP Preclearance facility (and another quick checkpoint - shoes off and laptops via xray, but no WTMD or Nude-o-scope, they are only checking baggage) 6) USPC terminal with only 1 crappy coffee shop in it.

I am not sure how it works if you buy whiskey in Duty Free there - can you carry it on since it is in excess of 3oz?

If you're in Dublin, go down to Dawson street and hit the Celtic Whiskey Shop. Best place in town to get whiskey and they will wrap it for you should you want to check it. Also next door is Dawson's pub (one of the smallest in Dublin) - worth stopping in for a pint.

Edited to add: Global Entry is up and running. As soon as you enter the CBP area, go down the first lane to your right with the gate that says restricted area. Go around the corner and there are 2 machines there.

Last edited by bchandler02; Oct 16, 13 at 6:14 pm Reason: Add GE Info
Old Oct 16, 13, 6:47 pm

Thanks for the description. I assume bottles bought at duty free would be fine a the secondary checkpoint, and if we bypass customs having precleared, I could continue on with that material. I'll look for the Celtic Whiskey Shop, and definitely use the GE kiosks, thanks.

Originally Posted by bchandler02 View Post
I just came back from Dublin today. You can check out their duty free at www.theloop.ie

THe process goes like this: 1) Airline check in counter 2) Airport Security 3) Duty Free/Food Court 4) Terminal, limited food options 5) US CBP Preclearance facility (and another quick checkpoint - shoes off and laptops via xray, but no WTMD or Nude-o-scope, they are only checking baggage) 6) USPC terminal with only 1 crappy coffee shop in it.

I am not sure how it works if you buy whiskey in Duty Free there - can you carry it on since it is in excess of 3oz?

If you're in Dublin, go down to Dawson street and hit the Celtic Whiskey Shop. Best place in town to get whiskey and they will wrap it for you should you want to check it. Also next door is Dawson's pub (one of the smallest in Dublin) - worth stopping in for a pint.

Edited to add: Global Entry is up and running. As soon as you enter the CBP area, go down the first lane to your right with the gate that says restricted area. Go around the corner and there are 2 machines there.
Old Oct 23, 13, 2:25 pm

Summary of my experience- thanks everyone

I arrived at the airport 3 hrs ahead of time because I couldn't sleep and wanted to get breakfast. This was probably a good move cause it did allow me to get breakfast and do some shopping in the duty free.

1. It took quite a long time to check in, maybe 30 min. I used the business class check in as EXP ticketed in C, but only one agent was serving and it took about 20 min to process two parties for some reason. It only took about 3 or 4 minutes to process me (checked bag, whisky).
2. Because of preclearance, bags are checked through to your final US destination; you will not have to re-collect and you do land at a normal gate, so no need to re-clear security in US. Go ahead and by duty free booze to carry home.
3. Fast track DUB security was not particularly fast, though probably more so than the regular line.
4. Fairly big shops/restaurants area inside security before preclearance. Full Irish Breakfast at the Slaney restaurant was almost inedibly salty, and I like salt. Whisky shop does in fact have lower prices than in town with a decent selection, though Celtic Whisky Shop on Dawson St. downtown is probably better on that.
5. There's a post box as you exit the shopping area towards the lounges and US preclearance.
6. Aer Lingus lounge is pleasant enough in design and has a good view, but not particularly much in food and drink.
7. Preclearance does indeed have Global Entry (entrance on right shared with the Crew lane). I busted on through and some guy ran after me to scan my bp first. So help him out by trying to look for him.
8. Final security check, just a bag scan. don't need to take off coats and boots, no metal detector or anything.

At counter they recommend allowing 90 min prior to doors closing to go to preclearance. If you don't have GE, that seems like good advice though clearly it will very. There is a smaller coffee shop and a shop and a newstand in the final gate area, but for fuller choice take care of it before preclearance, as others have indicated.
Old Nov 14, 13, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
Just a data point: pre clearance on a Saturday morning seems to be very quiet. I left the EI lounge at 8:15 and there wasn't a single person in the pre clearance queue. The lounge agent will generally advise on how the queue is when entering the lounge.
Old Mar 7, 14, 1:08 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold
Pre clearance from dublin???

Just read a post on here..and i need to find out if its correct.

flying AA Biz Dub-Jfk next month. I read that AA doesnt use the Pre clearance at Dublin..is that true??

Many thanks
Old Mar 7, 14, 3:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by jock View Post
Just read a post on here..and i need to find out if its correct.

flying AA Biz Dub-Jfk next month. I read that AA doesnt use the Pre clearance at Dublin..is that true??
As a reminder, if you see a post about which you've got questions, it's best to post a reply to that than start a brand new thread. In this case, as American Airlines is still operating as a distinct entity, this question is being moved over to the relevant thread in the pre-merger American Airlines forum.

Please note the sticky at the top of the consolidated thread which is titled Welcome to the New American Airlines Forum! PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING. With all of the changes about, it is important to know where to post, and reading that thread before posting (as the title suggests ) will help get you in the right place.

~Moderator

Search this Thread
Search Engine: