FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   When to book ORD-DEL flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/866877-when-book-ord-del-flight.html)

gfunkdave Sep 16, 2008 7:56 pm

When to book ORD-DEL flight?

I am comfortably reserved in J class for my flight in Feb. My travel buddy has yet to book his ticket and wants to book the AA flight (273 or 272 or whatever it is). He thinks prices will come down; I tell him not to be silly and to just book his damn ticket.

Economy fares are $1500 or so, and business are about $5200. He has the money to do biz, but is likely too cheap to do so.

Should he wait to buy his economy ticket or do so now? Can you give him a solid business case justifying the J fare?

For those of you in need of specifics, it's to depart Feb. 24 and return Mar. 17.

3Cforme Sep 16, 2008 8:06 pm

$1449 in coach represents AA's lowest published fare, so for something cheaper he needs a fare reduction or a reduction in the fuel surcharge. If your travel buddy would buy a lottery ticket and call it a retirement plan, maybe he's the kind of guy who can rationalize waiting for a cheaper fare.

gfunkdave Sep 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Thanks, 3C.

To illustrate my friend's cheapness: when I showed him your post he said "yeah, but the problem with these online boards is how do you know you can trust the source?"

Sigh. I don't look forward to his whining when he has to pay $3000 for a coach ticket.

Spiff Sep 16, 2008 8:41 pm

My SDF-DEL ticket was more than $1500 and I booked early. SDF-ORD added maybe $100 to the fare.

Tell him to buy now and upgrade to C before all that inventory goes away and he has to pay through the nose for a confirmed seat in steerage.

HNL Sep 16, 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 10380614)
My SDF-DEL tic
ket was more than $1500 and I booked early. SDF-ORD added maybe $100 to the fare.

Tell him to buy now and upgrade to C before all that inventory goes away and he has to pay through the nose for a confirmed seat in steerage.

But are you a source we can trust ? ;)

Originally Posted by post #3
"...do you know you can trust the source?"

SeeBuyFly Sep 16, 2008 9:06 pm

You've made it clear in your post that your friend has the money. So if he wants to gamble, why is it a problem?

Indeed fares could go down some, since fuel prices are dropping. Alternatively it will go up some, or stay the same. No big deal. Coach never goes as high as $3000 on this route because other coach passengers to India are very price-sensitive and there are many one-stop alternatives to India. It could certainly go to $2000 or thereabouts.

I can understand not wanting to book 6 months in advance, even if the fares go up some. One is less likely to have to cancel if booking, say, 2 months rather than 6 months in advance, and that is worth paying some money. (It's like insurance.)

Spiff Sep 16, 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 10380627)
But are you a source we can trust ? ;)

Trust me. ;)

777GalE Sep 16, 2008 9:55 pm

Really, Really, Trustworthy?

Originally Posted by Spiff (Post 10380805)
Trust me. ;)

Spiff,

Really, you only have almost 35,000 posts. Been here since, 2000.

A Member/Moderator of Coupon Connection.

Why should you be trusted?! Your background appears shaky!!!

Hope all is well!

sinanju Sep 17, 2008 7:44 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 10380436)
Should he wait to buy his economy ticket or do so now? Can you give him a solid business case justifying the J fare?

IIRC, it is the longest flight in AA's schedule. If one isn't going to fly in a comfy seat for that one, there is no flight for which a comfy seat can be justified. The alternative, as far as I'm concerned, is a couple of days just to recover from the ride, let alone the time zone shift. My own employer pays for business when the total travel time is 8 hours or more.

As an EXP, I book far enough in advance to ensure sufficient A inventory so I can trade the J seat for a seat up front. That can be tricky when there are several on my team converging on ORD for the trip -- thanks Expert Flyer!

FWIW, the coach/business all-in prices I see for late October (so, just over a month out), using my employer's (iffy) discount with AA, are 1260/5270. For the dates you specify they are 1043/5270.

Deltahater Sep 17, 2008 8:06 am

Why even stress about it?

Clearly your buddy has an agenda (being cheap) and he also has the money to pay if the gamble does not pay off.

Unless you think he will bag the entire trip if the fare is too high, why stress about?

YOu have done all you can to guide him. Maybe he needs a $2000 lesson to trust the SPIFFs of the world...

sinanju Sep 17, 2008 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 10382597)
Why even stress about it?

Indeed. You'll leave the plane relatively fresh and you can then accompany your friend to the hospital where he will be treated for deep vein thrombosis.

geoman244 Sep 17, 2008 9:39 am

Surprising...I am finding BA fares for around $1,000 for Feb. (at least from the East Coast). Check some other options too...

AGSF Sep 17, 2008 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by kalia960 (Post 10380736)
Coach never goes as high as $3000 on this route because other coach passengers to India are very price-sensitive ....

a.k.a. cheap.

gfunkdave Sep 17, 2008 9:59 pm

Heh, yes. I'm not stressed about his ticket. I am just not looking forward to the inevitable whining about it. :)

Rich, if you're reading this - I still love ya buddy!

execplatscum Sep 18, 2008 7:07 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 10386505)
Heh, yes. I'm not stressed about his ticket. I am just not looking forward to the inevitable whining about it. :)

Rich, if you're reading this - I still love ya buddy!

The good news is with you in J you will have 17 hours or relative comfort and non whining while he sits in his C seat.