Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Plat - Inter-Euro Y on BA - Can I select Seat

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
AA Plat - Inter-Euro Y on BA - Can I select Seat

I did search, honest! I'm not sure how useful searching is when one thread is 26 pages long.

Hopefully a simple question. AA Plat flying AA to/from LHR and then in and out of LHR in BA econ to Germany. I can see my reservation on ba.com but can't make seat selection. Can I select the seats without paying $15 each way for the privelige or waiting 'till T-24?

As an EXP I used to be able to do it, is it change in BA policy or the fact that I am now a lowly Plat or am I doing something wrong? I did try calling BA but gave up after 50 minutes on hold with no signs of life.

Thanks

- Tim
Old Mar 23, 2011, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by timfountain
I did search, honest! I'm not sure how useful searching is when one thread is 26 pages long.

Hopefully a simple question. AA Plat flying AA to/from LHR and then in and out of LHR in BA econ to Germany. I can see my reservation on ba.com but can't make seat selection. Can I select the seats without paying $15 each way for the privelige or waiting 'till T-24?

As an EXP I used to be able to do it, is it change in BA policy or the fact that I am now a lowly Plat or am I doing something wrong? I did try calling BA but gave up after 50 minutes on hold with no signs of life.

Thanks

- Tim
yes as a OW sapphire you should have no problems selecting seats on BA flights free of charge. i've been plt for several years and usually have no problems doing it. if its not showing up online, just call BA and they should be able to do it for you.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 7:07 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
one more thing, if the BA flight is booked as a AA codeshare, this could explain why you aren't seeing the seat selection option on BA's website. in the past, i've been able to select AA codeshare seats and I've also had to call, haven't figured out the reason why that is yet.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answers. Weird setup due to travelling to Germany 3 days after I land in the UK and interlining all the way back on the return leg. One way is showing as an AA codeshare and the other as BA alone (doesn't show up on AA Itin). I think this might be the cause of the 'systems' confusion. I'll try calling a human tomorrow and see if I can get it straightened out. I just wanted to know what is a reasonable expectation before I call BA....

Thanks again

- Tim
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:17 am

Thanks

- Tim
I had some similar issues with BA.com recently. I would suggest calling online support instead of reservations, if you haven't already. 1-800-403-0882 7AM-1AM EST Daily.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:15 am

Programs: Confirmed
You should be able to select a seat. I've just selected in LGW-AMS in Y after putting in my AA Plat number.

I called BA to put PLT in - they said that we have put your 'sapphire' membership number in now.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 2M, DL GM
One thing to check is whether they have your AA AAdvantage or BA Executive Club number logged in for the BA flights. AA PLT gets you oneworld sapphire status, but that info does not get shared across to BA unless the AA number is actually tagged on that specific flight.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 9:40 am
Original Poster

On the line with BA web service now, they are saying AA plat is no good, have to do seat selection at checkin, ...?

As I said upthread, I think the issue may be related to outward part being a BA flight # and the return being an AA codeshare (even though both are BA metal).

I'm stating to think I need to pay $30 to choose a seat. That's 12% of the cost of this ticket, and something that will come out of my own pocket.

- Tim
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:03 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
I booked my Y award ticket as Plat on the phone with AA for RDU-LHR (AA), LHR-Europe (BA, no codeshare). The AA agent reserved me a seat on the BA flight. Then I went to www.ba.com/mmb (Manage My Booking) and was able to see and change the seats.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
On the line with BA web service now, they are saying AA plat is no good, have to do seat selection at checkin, ...?

As I said upthread, I think the issue may be related to outward part being a BA flight # and the return being an AA codeshare (even though both are BA metal).

I'm stating to think I need to pay $30 to choose a seat. That's 12% of the cost of this ticket, and something that will come out of my own pocket.

- Tim
The person you spoke to is wrong. I'd call back and speak to someone else and if you get the same reply, refer them to their own website where it clearly states that OW Sapphires can choose a seat for free at the time of booking (including exit rows in Euro Traveller).

Link here

Last edited by britenbsas; Mar 24, 2011 at 10:42 am Reason: Add link
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Resolved, apparently my OW Saphire wasn't showing up, they could see it on the system but kept getting an error saying seat selection would be a check-in. Operator had to get a supervisor to fix it and manually override it.
Very painful, over 62 minutes on the call with about 1 minute of actual interaction with a live person, the rest of the time on hold listening to that BA theme music and alternating with a South African sounding granny banging on about charges that I will have to pay once I speak with someone. I am very thankful I don't fly BA more than once a year if this is the level of service.

- Tim

Last edited by timfountain; Mar 24, 2011 at 9:35 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.