Would you fly out of LGA, JFK, or EWR?

Old Aug 13, 2008, 4:06 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
i've taken both the lga-dfw at 6:05 am and 7:00 am many times (usually on a friday.) these have been rarely delayed, and there have never been long waits on the runway. as the day wears on, the delays can get really long; i was on a later flight from lga-dfw, with over 20 planes on the runways
lga has only two runways, and when there is bad weather, they reduce things to one runway, meaning that inbound and outbound are competing for it--big delays occur.
if weather is good, most incoming flights are listed as early.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by jaf
Joka and plasticman - I have thought about taking a Fri morning instead. Part of me really likes getting home Thursday night and sleeping in my own bed.
I've also been doing almost the same Su/Mo DFW-LGA and Thu/Fri LGA-DFW off and on the past 6 months. I started doing the Friday morning 6:05am flight as it has always been on time compared to the Thu 9:25pm which is almost always delayed. I can stay at the Marriott LGA on Thurs night, wake up at 5am, catch the first 5:15am shuttle, and breeze through the elite security line at Concurse D to get to the gate by 5:35/40am.

Considering the 6:05am flight also gets in at 8:35am due to the time zone, its an added bonus that you haven't lost that much of the workday plus you can drive after rush-hour traffic.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
I do the commute in reverse.

While JFK has better facilities, my suggestion is LGA just because of frequency. There's are only two JFK-DFW non-stops; one in AM and one in PM.

With LGA if your flight is delayed, chances are that the earlier ones are delayed as well and if you're top tier elite, you stand a good chance catching an earlier delayed flight back home.
I agree with seawolf. The increased frequency at LGA is a plus and offers one the advantage of arriving only 1-2 hours late rather than 3-4 hours late (or even the next day) because of limited JFK service.

I recently reported here my early AM flight to DFW was delayed 8 hours because the windscreen in front of the First Officer needed replacement. If I was at LGA, I would have had only a 2 hour delay.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 7:08 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
LGA domestic JFK Internation

When I fly domestic I fly out of LGA. (except for trancon flights) I live in upstate New York (Dutchess County) so I leave with a cushion of time. If there is no traffic I often snag a seat on an earlier flight. JFK has limited flights (except transcon) and the Van Wyck is always a gamble.

Of course when flying international its JFK. I find that even if there are delays in the NYC area often the international flights are still on time. Have to make those connections.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 10:17 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage, Marriott Gold
In addition to what everyone else said, I would also look at the type of plane you are going to be on. If I'm on an Super 80 then I'll pick LGA only because there are a lot of them in and out as well as there is usually a spare bird. If I'm on a 757, I'd prolly pick JFK as theres a greater chance of finding new metal if anything happens.

If your on a 757 mid day out of LGA and it goes out of service the flight is either going to be delayed a LONG time or be cancelled.

Newark is pretty much not good for anything. No offense to the EWR people, but when it comes to extra planes EWR has nothing.....
Old Aug 14, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
If arrival time is not an issue, I prefer JFK. Simply for the parking convenience and shuttle system. And of course you can fly anywhere on earth from there.
Since I book well in advance in most cases, I can still get the domestic upgrades, the majority of my flights.

LGA is always a crap shoot for parking, forget about it during "prime time".
And the terminal always maked me feel like I am in a third world country. The bathrooms? I wouldn't STAND on the bowl unless I had boots on. Only thing that makes it bearable is the AC and status. And the anticipation of one day actually landing in the outfield of Shea stadium, but alas, even that is going away.

As to EWR, I find the parking pretty poor there too. If I am flying in and taking a one way rental, then again, I defer to the shuttle which is pretty good.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 6:05 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by CO FF
The US Dept. of Transportation requires the airlines to keep ontime stats for their flights. Why not see what those say for your flights? Nothing else is worthwhile as "data".
I could have sworn this information was prominently available when you searched for flights to purchase on aa.com, but looks like they removed that. Unfortunate, but not surprised, that they aren't making the data as easy to find.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.