Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-80s To Fly With Reduced Air Conditioning??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Question MD-80s To Fly Without Air Conditioning??

I overheard two FAs talking about this on a flight yesterday. They said that AA was going to drastically reduce the air pressure of the A/C system in MD-80s to save money.

Is this real??

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2008 at 3:23 pm Reason: edit back in original thread / post title
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I overheard two FAs talking about this on a flight yesterday. They said that AA was going to drastically reduce the air pressure of the A/C system in MD-80s to save money.

Is this real??
Slow day today?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:33 am

Is this real??
An alternative would be to shut down the air conditioning at HQ.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1P, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zman
An alternative would be to shut down the air conditioning at HQ.
Fine by me. I've seen snow in north Texas, where it snows, they don't need AC, right?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I don't believe things I hear/overhear from FA's in situations like that. No offense to them, but they gossip more than we do here on FT, and the average FA is probably the last to know the real story.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:03 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL

Is this real??
Unless there's a type-rated MD-80 pilot out there with info to the contrary, this sounds like a groundless rumor. Once the A/C packs are on -- and they're needed for pressurization -- I don't think there's a difference in fuel consumption by raising the cabin altitude, which is normally around 8000 feet at cruise.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:07 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Is this real??
No.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:10 am

No AC = no need for blankets = less weight too.

I don't see why the cabins are always kept at 68 degrees. Bump it up to like 74 but don't completely cut AC.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oneant
I don't believe things I hear/overhear from FA's in situations like that. No offense to them, but they gossip more than we do here on FT, and the average FA is probably the last to know the real story.
I'm actually more inclined to believe them. After all, they are part of the company and we aren't.

Most FA rumors turn out to be true, anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Plt
How do so many people continue to respond to this guy's threads?? 20 years down the road we're still going to get 30 posts debating whether there are merits to whirledtraveler's 'observations'.

He's just egging you on, everyone.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I also heard an FA discuss that they will remove 2 of the rear wheels on the MD-88 as rubber costs have increased 27% this quarter alone. There should be no real impact on comfort or safety during take off and landing unless there is an issue with the other tires who have been rethreaded like the bus in Texas this weekend. The margin of error was determined to be roughly 3% only.

It will probably save $1,300 per plane per year.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 11:42 am

Is this real??
I just looked up the technical specs and operating parameters for A/C systems on the MD-80.

This aircraft is designed to operate with all A/C packs operating at all times. The cabin air is "bled" from the engines upstream of the combustor.

The only advantage to adjusting the bleed valve to decrease air flow to the A/C system, would be a VERY SLIGHT increase in pressure going into the combustor.

While this may theoretically offer slightly increased thrust and fuel savings, the amount would be almost negligible.

I can't see AA flying hot, uncomfortable planes to save a buck or two on a transcon.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I'm actually more inclined to believe them. After all, they are part of the company and we aren't.

Most FA rumors turn out to be true, anyway.
That depends on who is posting the rumors, IMHO

DId the FA also tell you they are going to turn off all of the lights on the planes to save energy?
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
DId the FA also tell you they are going to turn off all of the lights on the planes to save energy?
I was going to say the exact same thing.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 1:57 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
i hesitate to add fuel to the fire, but leaving mex for dfw on friday afternoon the fa in first told one of the other fas that due to a long roll out they were doing something differn't to the pressureization of the cabin and that the takeoff would be noiser than usual around the doors to the plane (and it was). when we pushed back from the gate and the engines started the ac did not come on as usual and it stayed hot in the plane until we took off and then it started to cool down. in retrospect i should have questioned him more but i assumed it had something to do with a full load and the altitude in mex.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.