AA guts aadvantage program - how do we band together?

Old Aug 8, 08, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
AA guts aadvantage program - how do we band together?

With all of the recent mileage increases for reward redemption, inventory cuts, and outrageous co-pays it is time we all banded together as a community.

I've protested these "enhancements" to AA, citibank, and my travel agencies. Given the power of the FT community, what is the best way for those who share my concern to protest as an FT group?

This is a critical juncture. If we don't raise it now, these increases will continue. I doubt AA will ever reverse course down the road even if they do overcome their financial challenges.

is there a petition that could be generated?
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I don't think the recent changes have affected my interest in AA's program.. but then again, I never bothered with the mileage upgrades + copay. I guess if that's your primary redemption option, then the latest news definitely stinks.
It really depends on what you do with your AA miles.. but generally speaking, I don't think AA has "gutted" AAdvantage.

You can always switch programs if you don't like AAdvantage anymore.

Alaska Mileage Plan isn't a bad replacement option.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:32 am

AA is losing big money. What do you expect them to do?
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
There have been some modest increases in mileage redemption - nothing outrageous, so no big deal. An extra $50 for mileage upgrades will make me think twice about upgrading companions on domestic flights using miles, but it doesn't change the equation much for international travel. It does concern me slightly that the mileage upgrade co-pay for international flights has risen 40% in 4 years. Hopefully this will be the last increase in a long, long time.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by izzik View Post
I never bothered with the mileage upgrades + copay
I think you'll find a lot here that just refuse to pay the money for that on principle. Now, take away my systemwides and I might scream, but the reality is I'm a leisure traveler and my voice wouldn't carry much weight compared to a heavy spender.

Tom in Beijing
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by journalist212 View Post
Maybe you can ask one of the mods to activate the polling feature to see how much interest there is in something like that before you start it.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP+2MM & WN CP
With all of the recent mileage increases for reward redemption, inventory cuts, and outrageous co-pays it is time we all banded together as a community.

I've protested these "enhancements" to AA, citibank, and my travel agencies. Given the power of the FT community, what is the best way for those who share my concern to protest as an FT group?

This is a critical juncture. If we don't raise it now, these increases will continue. I doubt AA will ever reverse course down the road even if they do overcome their financial challenges.

I'm worried that AA might not be around in 2 years if the oil stays above $100. The name may survive but you might find just 2 flights from most cities to DFW or ORD instead of the current 8 to 10 per day. So by then the mileage redemption and upgrades might take a back seat to being able to find any seat at a reasonable fare.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6

What is the point in having the most generous FF scheme in the world if the carrier is bankrupt?

The FF scheme isn't run for your benefit - it's run for the airlines. If you want to do something constructive then show them how a more generous FF scheme will improve their bottom line. If you can do that, and have the numbers to justify it, they'll jump at it.
Old Aug 8, 08, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by san2yul View Post
I'm worried that AA might not be around in 2 years if the oil stays above $100. The name may survive but you might find just 2 flights from most cities to DFW or ORD instead of the current 8 to 10 per day. So by then the mileage redemption and upgrades might take a back seat to being able to find any seat at a reasonable fare.
My position also. Many flyers have not yet come to terms with the gravity of the situation with the US airlines.

The air transportation system that we have come to see as our right doesn't work at these fuel prices. We either need to pay much more or expenses need to be cut much more.
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:00 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
The real harm to the program was capacity controls, with which I still disagree.
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:01 am

Programs: Various
I'm dying to chime in to say "What a typical journalist headline" to dramatize the facts and say that AA "guts" the AAdvantage program.

Will you next be stating that you are "forced" to switch programs, or that AA "refuses" to allow you to redeem for a SAAver Award?
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1 MM, AC, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, Hertz 5*
I don't think the changes AA has made so far fall into the category of gutting the AAdvantage program.

Now, if you want to see some howls of protest, head over to the US Air and Delta boards and see what's happening with Dividend Miles and Skymiles.

Last edited by videomaker; Aug 8, 08 at 12:05 pm Reason: Spell check
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
I see no gutting at all. As tom911 just stated, take away my eVIPs, I scream, but otherwise I still see AAdvantage as the best program out there. My CC miles are getting larger and larger each month (the more stuff costs, the more miles I earn), so given that, plus the increase in J and Y fares in the last several months, and I still see 25k + $350 as a good deal. The inflation in currency (miles) is being outstripped by cash tickets, so they are still a good/better deal (at least for my routes).

OTOH, if something happens with BA, AA has to curb some of the upgrading a bit anway.
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Sorry, but this is patently silly. Do you think AA needs to see a petition to know that its customers are unhappy with these changes?

We have an economic relationship with AA. No more; no less. If you're unhappy with the terms of the relationship, you tell AA by taking your business elsewhere. I still am pleased enough with the terms of the program that I'll continue to fly AA. That could change in the future. If it does, don't expect me to sign a petition; expect me to book another airline.
Old Aug 8, 08, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
As much as I would like to see these fees eliminated for high spend fliers, I don't see them as "gutting" the program.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: