Wiki Posts
Search

<30m flight time = no service in first?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2008, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
<30m flight time = no service in first?

For the second time in a week, I've been told (while in FC) that because the flight time was a total of 29 minutes, there wouldn't be a beverage service in FC. Is this standard? On both these flights, F wasn't close to being full, so I don"t think it would have been too much problem to have a beverage service.

On both of these flights, a full PDB service was offered, so it didn't seem as though the flight crew was avoiding work. Is this a standard AA flight service rule?

TIA
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Seems reasonable to me, especially since a full PDB service was offered. In order to do a beverage service in flight, they would have to unsecure the carts, take orders and deliver the drinks (unless they use the cart for service), collect the service items and then secure the carts, all before the "prepare for landing" announcement.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
what was the route?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
You probably would have been cruising for about 10 minutes. It would be an extrememly rushed service for the FA to prepare everything for the drink service, take orders and serve, then do all the necessary preparations for arrival.

It's 30 minutes. You couldn't spare $2 and get a drink at a store in the airport?
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
You probably would have been cruising for about 10 minutes. It would be an extrememly rushed service for the FA to prepare everything for the drink service, take orders and serve, then do all the necessary preparations for arrival.
The FA could have taken the drink orders pre-departure and then made them at cruising altitude. Preparing 16 drinks (+/- a few since we don't know the equipment and how many actually want drinks) doesn't take a lot of time. I've flown DFW/DAL-AUS plenty of times and seen one FA do a whole RJ on a 35 minute flight using the cart.

It's 30 minutes. You couldn't spare $2 and get a drink at a store in the airport?
1) The OP maybe wanted a cocktail. 2) Kind of a beside-the-point comment. Reminds me of an ex that would always complain about the "shoulda" instead of fixing the problem.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by RxCapt
Seems reasonable to me, especially since a full PDB service was offered. In order to do a beverage service in flight, they would have to unsecure the carts, take orders and deliver the drinks (unless they use the cart for service), collect the service items and then secure the carts, all before the "prepare for landing" announcement.
OTOH, Southwest manages to do a FULL beverage service on a 45-minute flight (BUR-LAS).

In coach!
Old Aug 2, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Originally Posted by Lootsy1031
OTOH, Southwest manages to do a FULL beverage service on a 45-minute flight (BUR-LAS).

In coach!
Right...I laughed when the f/a on my AUS-DFW flight said they didn't have time to serve drinks in F...when WN serves drinks, including cocktails, to a full 737 on the same route...and usually asks you if you want seconds.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
1) The OP maybe wanted a cocktail. 2
Then hit up the bar.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Fwiw: OKC-DFW (or vice versa) is usually from 24-32 minutes in the air. Except when severe weather causes them to remain seated the entire flight, the FAs always manage to do an F beverage service. On a really good day they'll even offer refills.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Lootsy1031

In coach!
OTOH WN has at least 3 FAs to do a beverage service. There is only one FA assigned to a short-haul F cabin on AA. Also, the OPs flight was 29 min not 45.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA PLT

Then hit up the bar.
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make. If you're in F, you should expect F service. It's been pointed out numerous times in this thread that WN and just about all non-US airlines can do this and more. Why not AA?

I don't want to buy a drink at the bar before the flight. I have the right to expect a drink on the flight.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Legacy U.S. airlines seems the only ones where the FAs get to take a 20-25 minute nap after departure. On a 29 minute MXP-ZRH flight on LX you get served breakfast (albeit cold) with juice and coffee/tea, second servings of bread and beverage, and post-meal chocolates. But the FAs start their duties 4-6 minutes after takeoff.

As usual, FAs don't work when there's turbulence forecast, whether while climbing or at "cruise" altitude, but apparently outside the U.S. they found out that turbulence is no different whether you're climbing or cruising. And of course, we all know that U.S. FAs work during descent, usually until a few thousand feet AGL, so the lack of presence during climb must be due to laziness and extremely bad management on the part of the legacy airlines masquerade as "safety".

No drink service on a 29 minute flight with a less-than-full cabin is shameful. Tell your story to www.aa.com/customerrelations

Last edited by hillrider; Aug 2, 2008 at 9:49 pm
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RxCapt
OTOH WN has at least 3 FAs to do a beverage service. There is only one FA assigned to a short-haul F cabin on AA. Also, the OPs flight was 29 min not 45.
OTOH WN served 140+ passengers, while the AA FA was facing the daunting task of serving ~10 pax (a not "close to being full" cabin)
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Happned twice more today, and PDB was not offered. The routes in question have been DFW-OKC and DFW-AUS. The DFW-AUS route is especially troublesome, because I fly it so often. I've been flying that route for years, and never have I not receive a service in first. Starting the last 2 weeks, though, things appear to have changed.

I hope the flight crews aren't starting a 'work to rule' protest.
Old Aug 2, 2008, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s
I don't want to buy a drink at the bar before the flight. I have the right to expect a drink on the flight.
Is it stated in the terms of carriage that you will be given a drink for such a short flight, whether in F or not? You have the right to expect to arrive at your destination safe, not to be quenched of your thirst when there are plenty of other opportunities to get that Coke you want.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.