Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: Get rid of luggage without using AirTrain in NYC/JFK?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, SkyMiles
AA: Get rid of luggage without using AirTrain in NYC/JFK?

Several weeks from now, I will be flying out of JFK on the evening direct flight AA 120 to CDG, departing at 9:45 pm. Since check-out time at my hotel is considerably earlier, the easiest thing to do would be to go to JFK in the morning or around noon, get boarding passes and drop off luggage, and then spend the afternoon back in Manhattan, returning to JFK in time to go through security and reach the gate before boarding. Since there are two of us, this would require paying the $5 AirTrain fee SIX (!) times. Is there some better way? Some airlines and airports offer city check-in, for example, or have check-in located in the publicly accessible train stations serving the airport (http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...19.checkin.htm). Any ideas?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
My first idea would be to leave it with the Bellman instead of making a journey to JFK and back (which is a nightmare) even if you need to be at the airport a bit earlier it's still worth it.

Are you planning to show up on the last minute for an international flight ??
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by ConradMZ
Some airlines and airports offer city check-in, for example, or have check-in located in the publicly accessible train stations serving the airport (http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...19.checkin.htm). Any ideas?
This does not exist anywhere in the US anymore as far as I'm aware for security reasons except for one place in San Francisco.

The obvious solution that I see would be to leave your luggage at the hotel for the day. Almost all hotels have that service.

Last edited by millionmiler; Aug 1, 2008 at 8:49 am
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by millionmiler
This does not exist anywhere in the US anymore as far as I'm aware for security reasons.
SFO still does this. You can drop bags at the parking structure or Moscone Center in the city.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:24 am
Original Poster

The hotel is in Queens, which is not where I want to spend the day, and whether the Days Inn reception is willing to keep an eye on the bags or not is yet to be determined (the hotel seems to have only just opened in the last couple of weeks, from what I gather on tripadvisor). If we can leave our luggage at the desk, we could stop off at the hotel, which would only be a slight detour (1 stop on another MTA line, and a couple of blocks to walk) from an E line station in Queens before continuing to the Jamaica air train station--I was more concerned with what would happen if we can't. I wasn't planning on arriving at the airport at the last minute, but if the departure isn't until 9:45 pm, I didn't really want to get there around noon (or even at 3 pm)--more like 6 or 7, and if I already had boarding passes and had dropped off the luggage, 7:30 or 8 should still be plenty of time to clear security and reach the gate.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:32 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
ConradMZ:

This might be a bit different than what you had in mind, but I think you can get a limo for 2 hours minimum for $40 per hour (30 EUROS). Since you don't live in NYC, why not spend your last day in style with your wife and take a limo to the airport in the AM, check in, and then tour the city in a limo?

Yes, I know it is more expensive than the subway/airtrain or leaving it at the hotel, but it could be a fun way to ensure your luggage is safe and can maximize your day in the city?
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Several weeks from now, I will be flying out of JFK on the evening direct flight AA 120 to CDG, departing at 9:45 pm. Since check-out time at my hotel is considerably earlier, the easiest thing to do would be to go to JFK in the morning or around noon, get boarding passes and drop off luggage, and then spend the afternoon back in Manhattan, returning to JFK in time to go through security and reach the gate before boarding. Since there are two of us, this would require paying the $5 AirTrain fee SIX (!) times. Is there some better way? Some airlines and airports offer city check-in, for example, or have check-in located in the publicly accessible train stations serving the airport (http://www.airportcity-frankfurt.com...19.checkin.htm). Any ideas?

You only need to pay the $5 if you take the Airtran all the way from/to either Jamiaca to connect to the LIRR/subway or Howard Beach to connect to the subway (A Line). Going from the hotel/car rental shuttle/long term parking I believe there is no charge. So it would then only be $20 for the two of you.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:39 am
Original Poster

"for security reasons"

What exactly would the security reasons be? Supposing AA had a Manhattan ticket office (I think they might have, once, at 125 Park Ave., also known as "Manhattan Air Terminal", across from Grand Central Station, where many airport express buses used to originate/terminate), and arranged with a courier to transport the luggage from there to then be treated like "curbside check-in" luggage at JFK? Would people be afraid that the courier van would get blown up? Once it reaches JFK, the luggage would be screened just like any other checked luggage--certainly long before it was put on board the plane. If it works in San Francisco and Frankfurt, it could work in New York. Sometimes "security" is used as an excuse.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
You only need to pay the $5 if you take the Airtran all the way from/to either Jamiaca to connect to the LIRR/subway or Howard Beach to connect to the subway (A Line). Going from the hotel/car rental shuttle/long term parking I believe there is no charge. So it would then only be $20 for the two of you.
If the hotel has a shuttle to JFK, then that would be true--taking the shuttle to JFK would be free. I was assuming it did not (it is in Long Island city, only 1 or two subway stops away from Manhattan, not in the airport vicinity), and so I would be taking the E train to Jamaica to reach the airport, then again to leave, and a third time to return again, connecting there with the AirTrain at $5 a pop each time.

If I left my partner waiting at Jamaica (I could manage the luggage on my own), could I get his boarding pass as well as mine without him being personally present at check-in, if I had his passport along, too? Or I could check in in the morning and he could check in in the evening, requiring waiting in line twice to save the $10? Somehow, each progressive variation seems to just make it seem less worthwhile...

The limo idea is interesting, but actually, I like walking around the city--just not with luggage!
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:15 am

Programs: AA LT G (1MM);DL G, UA GM
What exactly would the security reasons be? Supposing AA had a Manhattan ticket office (I think they might have, once, at 125 Park Ave., also known as "Manhattan Air Terminal", across from Grand Central Station, where many airport express buses used to originate/terminate), and arranged with a courier to transport the luggage from there to then be treated like "curbside check-in" luggage at JFK? Would people be afraid that the courier van would get blown up? Once it reaches JFK, the luggage would be screened just like any other checked luggage--certainly long before it was put on board the plane. If it works in San Francisco and Frankfurt, it could work in New York. Sometimes "security" is used as an excuse.
You got that part right. After 9/11 (and maybe still today?) you could not mail a letter at the airport because all mailboxes were removed as a security measure. There's another forum for discussions of security theater but remember that New York was traumatized as San Francisco was not.

Why don't you contact the Days Inn and find out whether you can leave your luggage for the day? That would settle the question. If so, you can check out early, get a MetroCard "Fun Pass" (I think it's $8 for unlimited public transit for a day) and zip into the city for a last day? No form of conveyance is foolproof but returning to Queens via subway you're far less likely to get stuck in rush hour traffic, which can be horrendous going to JFK.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 7:23 am
Original Poster

You can mail a letter from JFK today (or could last February). In the Delta Terminal, where I arrived on a flight from FRA, in transfer to South Florida to spend the night before leaving the US again for Mexico early the following morning, I found a mailbox, but the stamp machine was out of order. I asked at a news stand if they had stamps for sale, and the woman working there said no, but if I gave her $1, she would mail the two letters I had for me after she got off work--slight surcharge there, and a bit of trust involved, but the letters did arrive.

I have been avidly reading the MTA website--I think instead of the daily "Fun Pass", I will go for the weekly pass ($25), even though I am only in town for four days/three nights. It's just too bad the AirTrain is not part of the normal fare.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
The hotel is in Queens, which is not where I want to spend the day, and whether the Days Inn reception is willing to keep an eye on the bags or not is yet to be determined (the hotel seems to have only just opened in the last couple of weeks, from what I gather on tripadvisor). If we can leave our luggage at the desk, we could stop off at the hotel, which would only be a slight detour (1 stop on another MTA line, and a couple of blocks to walk) from an E line station in Queens before continuing to the Jamaica air train station--I was more concerned with what would happen if we can't. I wasn't planning on arriving at the airport at the last minute, but if the departure isn't until 9:45 pm, I didn't really want to get there around noon (or even at 3 pm)--more like 6 or 7, and if I already had boarding passes and had dropped off the luggage, 7:30 or 8 should still be plenty of time to clear security and reach the gate.
Take your bags onto the E train into Manhattan, leave them at the Sheraton at 53rd St/7th Ave - the hotel is literally above the 7th Ave B/D/E station... the left luggage desk is an independent operation and they don't care if you are staying there or not and it's only a few $ per bag.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria
SFO still does this. You can drop bags at the parking structure or Moscone Center in the city.

I stand corrected.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 8:48 am

Look, you asked a question and got many answers. I'm sorry that the system does not suit you.
Old Aug 1, 2008, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by millionmiler
Look, you asked a question and got many answers. I'm sorry that the system does not suit you.
What about using US Helicopter and checking your luggage there with them?!
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.