Alternative ways to earn EQM on AA

 
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:53 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: San Jose, CA USA
Posts: 1,698
Alternative ways to earn EQM on AA

My wife, who is flying a lot of AA segments now, bugged me to ask if AA has ways to earn EQM other than by flown miles. I believe UA has a way (in their United Choices program) to convert as much as 5,000 eqm by paying off in regular miles (in the UA case my wife redeemed 50,000 miles last year in December and it was just enough for the 5,000 mi to get her over the hump to make 1K. She thought it was worth it). Also, UA often has had promos to convert find small chunks of eqm opportunities (not to mention the double eqm this year which we were unable to take advantage of).

Anybody know of any angles? She could use abou 5 - 10K EQM to get over the hump and make Plat (that she can't fly for, even by mileage run).
FullFare is offline  
Old Jul 23, 08, 9:58 pm
  #2  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,311
She can fly any AA, AA partner or codeshare or oneworld flight eligible to earn EQM. There is but one way to earn AA EQM - plant the ol' glutes in an airplane seat and fly. Too bad she missed AADER... (a RARE opportunity to earn double EQM for a limited time. well documented in other threads.)
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 24, 08, 8:32 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: NC
Programs: AA Lifetime Plat - 2MM miles
Posts: 8,440
The only other way to get Plat status without flying is to earn 2MM lifetime miles from all sources. Either get yourself several Citi AA MasterCards, start buying her lots of flowers, etc., you fly more
Redhead is offline  
Old Jul 25, 08, 4:44 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boston; DC
Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
Posts: 647
one more way

She could take the platinum challenege, if she still has enough flights to fly. One J segment from, say, PVG to ORD, is enough, and since its past June 16th, the status'd be good through 2/10

Of course, if she's done a plat challenge recently, no dice...
Shawn02139 is offline  
Old Jul 26, 08, 9:26 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 122
Originally Posted by FullFare View Post
My wife, who is flying a lot of AA segments now, bugged me to ask if AA has ways to earn EQM other than by flown miles. I believe UA has a way (in their United Choices program) to convert as much as 5,000 eqm by paying off in regular miles (in the UA case my wife redeemed 50,000 miles last year in December and it was just enough for the 5,000 mi to get her over the hump to make 1K. She thought it was worth it). Also, UA often has had promos to convert find small chunks of eqm opportunities (not to mention the double eqm this year which we were unable to take advantage of).

Anybody know of any angles? She could use abou 5 - 10K EQM to get over the hump and make Plat (that she can't fly for, even by mileage run).
she can apply for a merrill + card to get a status match.

Last edited by qqqgnss; Jul 26, 08 at 10:05 pm
qqqgnss is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 1:27 am
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: DFW/DAL
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Posts: 19,723
Originally Posted by FullFare View Post
My wife, who is flying a lot of AA segments now, bugged me to ask if AA has ways to earn EQM other than by flown miles. I believe UA has a way (in their United Choices program) to convert as much as 5,000 eqm by paying off in regular miles (in the UA case my wife redeemed 50,000 miles last year in December and it was just enough for the 5,000 mi to get her over the hump to make 1K. She thought it was worth it). Also, UA often has had promos to convert find small chunks of eqm opportunities (not to mention the double eqm this year which we were unable to take advantage of).

Anybody know of any angles? She could use abou 5 - 10K EQM to get over the hump and make Plat (that she can't fly for, even by mileage run).
If she has b een flying a lot of segments now, she should sign up for a PLT challenge. Next year, they might offer to let her buy back status at a price a lot better than the 50K she paid UA
mvoight is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 3:44 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Seat 2A
Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Posts: 9,529
Originally Posted by mvoight View Post
If she has b een flying a lot of segments now, she should sign up for a PLT challenge. Next year, they might offer to let her buy back status at a price a lot better than the 50K she paid UA
Well the 50K for UA were for 1K status and well worth it.

Do they let you buy back EXP? I doubt it...
skywalkerLAX is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 6:03 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,016
AFAIK, the 1K/EXP/etc levels are not available for purchase, regardless of how close you came.

Again, AFAIK, AA counts ANY miles earned (even purchased or gifted) toward your lifetime miles (aka, LT Gld/Plt). A friend who is a Global Services with UA says that only BIS miles count toward your lifetime miles with UA.

I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong in the above.
oneant is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 7:15 am
  #9  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,311
Don't expect correction anytime soon...

I had no idea about lifetime status. When AAdvantage assimilated TW's Aviators Club in 2001, it added my 500,000+ miles into my account (and lifetime miles count) and I soon thereafter received my "lifetime Gold" notification. Unique, for an airline.

Originally Posted by oneant View Post
AFAIK, the 1K/EXP/etc levels are not available for purchase, regardless of how close you came.

Again, AFAIK, AA counts ANY miles earned (even purchased or gifted) toward your lifetime miles (aka, LT Gld/Plt). A friend who is a Global Services with UA says that only BIS miles count toward your lifetime miles with UA.

I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong in the above.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 7:21 am
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by oneant View Post
AFAIK, the 1K/EXP/etc levels are not available for purchase

...

I'm sure that someone here will correct me if I'm wrong in the above.


You can "buy" EXP status for $25,000 worth of prepaid travel. I don't know if the equivalent 1K program still exists, but AA copied UA on this originally.

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...TravelCard.jsp

I think it's been made available for the last 2-3 years.
Gandhi90s is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 7:27 am
  #11  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 62,311
Yes - and one doesn't really even have to fly after buying when the offer is on the table. (It does beggar the mind as to why someone would do this - buy and not fly - but maybe those black cards are really valued by some.)

Originally Posted by Gandhi90s View Post


You can "buy" EXP status for $25,000 worth of prepaid travel. I don't know if the equivalent 1K program still exists, but AA copied UA on this originally.

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...TravelCard.jsp

I think it's been made available for the last 2-3 years.
JDiver is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 7:55 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: DFW
Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Posts: 4,891
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Yes - and one doesn't really even have to fly after buying when the offer is on the table. (It does beggar the mind as to why someone would do this - buy and not fly - but maybe those black cards are really valued by some.)
That is kind of what I was thinking... what would one do with EXP other than fly?
nd_eric_77 is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 7:12 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Posts: 1,947
Say DYKWIA at social occasions?
KD5MDK is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 9:15 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Programs: AAdvantage Gold 1MM, United Gold
Posts: 141
Originally Posted by Gandhi90s View Post


You can "buy" EXP status for $25,000 worth of prepaid travel. I don't know if the equivalent 1K program still exists, but AA copied UA on this originally.

https://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_...TravelCard.jsp

I think it's been made available for the last 2-3 years.
The AA site says "Please note: This offer has expired as of April 4, 2008, and is no longer available."

Am I missing something?
garycal is offline  
Old Jul 27, 08, 9:54 pm
  #15  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA PLT
Posts: 1,615
Originally Posted by garycal View Post
The AA site says "Please note: This offer has expired as of April 4, 2008, and is no longer available."

Am I missing something?
No. I'm sure it will be offered again next year.
Gandhi90s is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: