Admirals Clubs' definition of a "snack"

Old Jul 21, 08, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.05MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Starwood, a bit of Continental, a bit of this and that
Admirals Clubs' definition of a "snack"

A month or two ago I finally sprang for an AC membership. Part of the advertised benefits is "snacks." Now, I'm an easy-going fella who likes his pretzels, but they are NOT a snack. Neither are chips. I checked a few online definitions of "snack" (don't have access to the hard-copies at home at this point) and came up with stuff such as "a light informal meal" and "a hurried or light meal" as well as "food eaten between meals."

So what has happened to the cheese, croissants, celery, and other snack-like teasers that used to be offered (I know about them b/c of my longtime OW status that has given me access to the AC on international itineraries)? Pretzels, really? Dude!

Am I paying the hefty fee of admission (well, at least for me, when I look at the price for chips at Costco) for a glass of Diet Coke, internet access, and the memory of a snack? As is well documented, the wings of the AC angels have been severely clipped, so what do I really get apart of hanging out for 20 hurried minutes between flights because yet another Eagle had a mechanical problem?

What happened to the cheese, ranch dressing, and celery? What is a "snack" in your culinary book?

(As a PS, for ONCE I had a chance to spend about 2 hrs in an AC today and write this. Lots of pretzels, for sure. )
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard View Post
As is well documented, the wings of the AC angels have been severely clipped
They have? Could have fooled me.
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
Yeah I know it really sucks. I'm a big fan of the DL/NW/CO lounges because at least they offer cookies, cheese and crackers, sometimes a veggie tray, and lots of fresh fruit. And of course, we can't forget the free booze .

And if you're on an intl itinerary definitely use another oneworld lounge and NOT AC. I really enjoy CX and BA lounges. Lots of good food in there!!
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT AA 1MM
Couldn't agree more

I have been a member for many years and do join you in a lament of the decline in the offerings. I used to count on the AC to get me through til the next flight or til I was out of that last airport--but no more. My husband and I were just discussing this at an AC recently where we ate our own snacks that we had brought while drinking their overpriced wine pours. (Didn't mind the price, just the incredibly stingy pours.) I'm ready to start shopping the competition, but I don't hold out much hope that I'll find anything better in the airports that I typically use. So, for me, it's down to whether I keep this AC membership now or not. Had to think really hard about it this year even though I'm traveling more than I have been recently.
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
I've not noticed any change in the service, it depends on the club and time of day.
Old Jul 21, 08, 6:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
A bit OT, but I absolutely am addicted to those Cheese -whatever they call it- they have for snacks at the BOS AC. Anyone know what those are so I can buy one? I would like to serve those as cheap snacks when we throw a party.
Old Jul 21, 08, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: EXP AA 5.05MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Starwood, a bit of Continental, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
They have? Could have fooled me.
"Documented" in a variety of threads--should have made that clear. Maybe I'm wrong (lack of experience) but I believe those fellow FTers who tell tales of AAngels saying "sorry, but I can't access this or that."

Please tell us otherwise.
Old Jul 21, 08, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AAbuzzard View Post
"Documented" in a variety of threads--should have made that clear. Maybe I'm wrong (lack of experience) but I believe those fellow FTers who tell tales of AAngels saying "sorry, but I can't access this or that."

Please tell us otherwise.
How about a link?
Old Jul 21, 08, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
The last couple of times I went through DFW, I noticed that the cheese and vegetable trays were gone. Apparently more cost cutting... At least SJC still has mini-muffins in the morning.
Old Jul 21, 08, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
How about a link?
I was referring to various posts in this long post that attest to the diminished role of AC AAngels. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792162

That's anecdotal evidence, but documentation through FT. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong in what I have been reading.
Old Jul 21, 08, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I was amazed to discover that in the Qantas lounges, snack means toast. I kid you not. The morning I left Sydney, people were toasting bread up a storm and putting all sorts of goop on it at breakfast time.

I was left wondering whether this was an Aussie thing, a Qantas tradition, or just some bizarre stable point in the amenity cutback race.
Old Jul 21, 08, 8:08 pm
tt7

Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
I was amazed to discover that in the Qantas lounges, snack means toast. I kid you not. The morning I left Sydney, people were toasting bread up a storm and putting all sorts of goop on it at breakfast time.

I was left wondering whether this was an Aussie thing, a Qantas tradition, or just some bizarre stable point in the amenity cutback race.
The QP has always been much better than the AC. The food in the QP isn't what it used to be (times were, you could manage to put together a pretty decent lunch) but it's still far ahead of anything AA offers. Given that the booze is free (once the bar opens at 1 pm), it's cheaper than the AC to join (and the QF equivalent of EXP gets free membership), there's usually food of some sort around meal times, they have decent coffee machines and the facilities are generally better, it makes the AC look like a very poor value in comparison (which it is). I don't do much purely U.S. domestic travel these days so after being an AC member for many, many years, didn't bother to renew - just not worth paying for it on the off-chance of that rare occasion when it might be useful.

I've never really understood how AA views the AC. Top tier members don't get access (on purely domestic itineraries), there's no food, no booze and often mediocre facilities. If the membership fees aren't enough to provide those facilities, then they should up the fees. I would even settle for a decent cup of coffee but the stuff they serve is undrinkable (and bears no resemblance to coffee). It was always fun to sit at ORD, in those shabby old chairs with the worn arms (by the elevators) and watch the staff come and pour a carafe of coffee into one of those urns (which no doubt had been sitting there all day).
Old Jul 21, 08, 8:46 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
There are still veggie trays at JFK, but I hesitate in posting this because AA might finally take those away too... I really hope some of the fresh fruits and vegetables start to make a comeback at the clubs (I know it won't happen).
Old Jul 21, 08, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN
I too have decided that if changes to the current state of ACs doesn't change, I will not renew. On the CO forum they are gloating over a new cappucino machine. I understand that the AC is a place to relax and work along with the AAngels, but the other guys do this too and with a good assortment of snacks and drinks for the same admission price. I think AA really doesn't care about ACs (as long as they bring in the most money for the least cost)
Old Jul 21, 08, 9:28 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Halo117 View Post
I understand that the AC is a place to relax and work along with the AAngels, but the other guys do this too and with a good assortment of snacks and drinks for the same admission price. I think AA really doesn't care about ACs (as long as they bring in the most money for the least cost)
However, if I'm flying AA, the help of the AAngel-equivalents at some other airlines' lounge doesn't do me much good, does it? Sure, the offerings in the ACs are minimal (with the domestic exception of LAX), but that's not why I'm a member. The service I get (and I, too, have read about the diminished capabilities, but have yet to see it) is well worth the annual fee. Honestly, if I want a snack or a drink, I can spring for it.

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: