Wiki Posts
Search

AA to Qantas in LAX

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
AA to Qantas in LAX

I will be traveling to SYD and connecting in LA. When I arrive in LA from IAD, will I have to claim my bags and recheck them in LA or does AA automatically do a transfer to Qantas? The flight is a code share so not sure if that will make a difference. Will not have to transfer terminals as the AA and Qantas flight depart from the same concourse.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 7:46 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCATravel
I will be traveling to SYD and connecting in LA. When I arrive in LA from IAD, will I have to claim my bags and recheck them in LA or does AA automatically do a transfer to Qantas? The flight is a code share so not sure if that will make a difference. Will not have to transfer terminals as the AA and Qantas flight depart from the same concourse.

You can check your bags straight through from IAD to SYD.

AA should also issue you a BP in IAD for the LAX-SYD flight.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
You can check your bags straight through from IAD to SYD.

AA should also issue you a BP in IAD for the LAX-SYD flight.
Though you might have to have that BP reissued in LAX on QF ticket stock....
Old Jul 17, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Ditto the above.

Might I suggest (if your Qantas flight is an AA codeshare) that depending on your fare class, you enroll in a Gold or Platinum challenge? See the sticky at the top of the forum for details.

-z

Last edited by zski1; Jul 17, 2008 at 8:12 pm Reason: don't need the quote
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
u can take an internal bus over to ur qantas flight. take stairs down at gate 44 i believe
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chanp
u can take an internal bus over to ur qantas flight. take stairs down at gate 44 i believe
Why on earth would you post this?

Even the OP realizes that the QF SYD flights depart from T-4. Probably gate 41 or 48B.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Why on earth would you post this?

Even the OP realizes that the QF SYD flights depart from T-4. Probably gate 41 or 48B.
hm...my mistake. i was taking the bus one time to the remote terminal and i could have swore the people waiting down with me said they were taking the bus over to take their qantas flight?? maybe it was to somewhere else other than SYD?? the bus came, had a qantas tag in the window and the boarded the bus
Old Jul 17, 2008, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Some flights do go out of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. Looking at tonight's departures, for instance, the Brisbane flight is going out of there, as well as the Melbourne and Auckland flight.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tom911
Some flights do go out of the Tom Bradley International Terminal. Looking at tonight's departures, for instance, the Brisbane flight is going out of there, as well as the Melbourne and Auckland flight.
Generally, those flights always depart from the TBIT.

The SYD flights almost always depart from T-4 and have since the completion of the T-4 renovation.

hm...my mistake. i was taking the bus one time to the remote terminal and i could have swore the people waiting down with me said they were taking the bus over to take their qantas flight?? maybe it was to somewhere else other than SYD?? the bus came, had a qantas tag in the window and the boarded the bus
No worries. As tom mentioned, the MEL, BNE and AKL flights depart from TBIT. SYD flights generally depart from T-4.
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Generally, those flights always depart from the TBIT.

The SYD flights almost always depart from T-4 and have since the completion of the T-4 renovation.

No worries. As tom mentioned, the MEL, BNE and AKL flights depart from TBIT. SYD flights generally depart from T-4.
it must have been during the renovation so many MR's this year, i dont know what was going on
Old Jul 17, 2008, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
I recommend checking if the QF flight is on time !

The last days QF passengers occupied the whole LAX Hilton because of a subsequent delay since they had a massive problem last sunday !

The SYD flights generally depart from T4 while all other flights on QF are handled at TBIT.

The Admirals club is used as the lounge (named QF Club then) in case you are eligible.

Cheers,
Old Jul 18, 2008, 12:36 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

it must have been during the renovation :) so many MR's this year, i dont know what was going on
The renovation was several years ago.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:10 am

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Return flight

Maybe you already know:

Going IAD-LAX-SYD, as everyone has said, the bags are checked all the way through and you can stay in terminal 4. But if you return SYD-LAX-IAD*, in LAX you'll have to clear customs, collect bags, drag them 30 yards and drop them off again, then go through security to get into the departure area for LAX-IAD. Allow time.

And yes, many QF flights are now being delayed, sometimes by ~24 hours. Check first.

*I used to live there. Now I live here. Why would you want to go back??
Old Jul 18, 2008, 1:16 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1 MM, Priority Club Plat, Marriott Silver
The SYD flights are great. You just pop a few gates down to the AC and wait for your flight. You can see the Qantas 747 from the bar usually. If you are Exec Platinum, the FLagship Lounge in LAX is execelent. I did the MEL and BNE routings (was working in Canberra) a couple of times and prefer SYD. The lounges in the Bradley terminal are not as nice, and BNE is a HORRIBLE place to try to connect through. It looks like I may get a chance to start the Oz runs again. Korea has dried up and they have a big project down there. Only thing I dislike about Qantas is you can't use eVIPs to upgrade. I ended up losing 8 of them a couple years ago because I was only doing Oz trips.
Old Jul 18, 2008, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier, Starwood Gold
Thank you all for the posts. Flight is scheduled to leave from T4 at this time. I've been through TBIT and I prefer staying away from there if possible. I did do a gold challenge and then platinum challenge in 2000 and my understanding is that you can only do them once. Does that rule still stand and will they still have in my record almost 8 full years later?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.