Passengers Frustrated After Flight To D.C. Diverted

Old Jul 14, 08, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, Korea Air, Emirates
Passengers Frustrated After Flight To D.C. Diverted

This is all over the TV news this morning in the DCA/IAD Metro area:

WASHINGTON -- An American Airlines plane was diverted from Reagan National Airport to Dulles International Airport overnight, officials said as a result of an emergency.

However, officials have not said what that possible emergency was or why it lead to such a long night fo passengers aboard the plane.

American Airlines flight 2192 was headed to Washington from Miami when the apparent emergency occurred.

According to airport officials, the flight was scheduled to land at Reagan just after 11:30 p.m. Sunday, but the flight left Miami about ab hour late, Wilkins said. The flight landed at Dulles at about 1 a.m., but passengers were not allowed out of their seats until airport officials provided a mobile lounge to transport passengers from the plane to the terminal at abotu 2:30 a.m. The final passenger was off-loaded from the plane about an hour later, News4 reported.

Frustrated passengers then waited for about two hours to get their baggage, News4's Tracee Wilkins reported.

"We were just sitting, waiting on the runway because there was no one here to meet us, so we were there for about two hours," said one passenger. "The cabin crew didn't come around and give us any water, nothing. They even stopped people at first from getting up to go to the bathroom."

Airport officials said the plane was redirected because of flight fatigue. But passengers said they were told the flight was redirected because of weather issues and because the flight had missed the curfew for landing a plane at Reagan National Airport.

Passengers said they had been given vouchers for ground transportation to Reagan National Airport so many of them can retrieve their vehicles. However, passengers said that they were originally told they would have to figure out transportation for themselves because the American Airlines office had been closed when their flight landed.
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:29 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Airport officials said the plane was redirected because of flight fatigue.
????
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
I'll be the first to say that I wouldn't like to land someplace other than where the plane was originally scheduled to land. However, it wasn't like the flight was diverted to DFW. Given the lack of specific details in the article (i.e., the nature of the emergency) shame on the press for playing this up in order to have yet another "disgruntled" passenger story.
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
I'll be the first to say that I wouldn't like to land someplace other than where the plane was originally scheduled to land. However, it wasn't like the flight was diverted to DFW. Given the lack of specific details in the article (i.e., the nature of the emergency) shame on the press for playing this up in order to have yet another "disgruntled" passenger story.
I disagree. Of course, details are short so we don't know the reason...but being rerouted to the wrong airport, then having to sit in the plane for a couple more hours because ops can't handle it...no water, no nothing? There is every reason for being disgruntled on this flight- I don't think it takes any sensationalism (and we certainly have plenty of that) to make this a really bad situation.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:43 am

Programs: AA PLT 1.9MM, FlyingBlue, CO, NWA
Arrow

There are always several takes on these type of stories...and, unfortunately, most of it is true. According to local media, and passengers interviewed, they were made to sit on the tarmac for another 2 hours (after landing) because there was no personnel to meet the aircraft (as it usually happens that late at night at Dulles). I don't particularly believe about the 'flight fatigue' claim (from AA), but probably something else transpired (besides the flight being late getting into MIA).
Given a choice, I would've much rather land at BWI. But, then again, we're all helpless and have absolute no control when you get into these metal tubes!
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Given that the passengers were stuck in their seats without water or bathroom access for two hours (not to mention an explanation), I think the passengers have every right to be upset and the media is not overreacting in the slightest.

I'm not sure what flight fatigue means, but it doesn't sound like an emergency. The only rational reason for keeping people in their seats is if the airline thought a gate could open up at any minute, and based on the information in the article, it doesn't sound like that was realistic.

Mike

Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:48 am

Programs: UA, AA, AS, SPG.
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The plane should have been taken care of better at IAD, but due to the DCA curfew it was IAD or nothing. I think getting to a DC airport beats staying in MIA
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by uva185 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

The plane should have been taken care of better at IAD, but due to the DCA curfew it was IAD or nothing.
While that's true, it's not like airport curfews just sneak up on you. AA could have told passengers before departing (even before boarding) that the plane was going to be diverted. AA also could have been ready to receive them at IAD. This is operational sloppiness + bad customer service.
Old Jul 14, 08, 8:56 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier

The plane should have been taken care of better at IAD, but due to the DCA curfew it was IAD or nothing. I think getting to a DC airport beats staying in MIA
"DCA curfew"???

AA 1946 flies DFW - DCA and arrives at 0:50. According to the article, the flight landed at IAD at 1:00. Are you suggesting that there is a "curfew" which leaves a margin of error of only 10 minutes after the last scheduled inbound?
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Based on the information provided which isn't much... so I'll go on the assumption that what is posted is true

then this is another lousy AA operations mistake

AA has this mobile lounge crap happen to scheduled flights (although never (for me) this long) for what seems to be anything after dark, so I'm not surprised in the least bit

I'm not sure why AA can't fix this problem. Generally bags are definitely slower when coming from the remote lot as well.

I can see why IaD was picked and its not that big of a deal (I know I'd be pissed though if it was me) to go to DCA if AA takes care of you getting from IAD > DCA or some other interim point.

the restroom/water thing is unacceptable.
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
I disagree. Of course, details are short so we don't know the reason...but being rerouted to the wrong airport, then having to sit in the plane for a couple more hours because ops can't handle it...no water, no nothing? There is every reason for being disgruntled on this flight- I don't think it takes any sensationalism (and we certainly have plenty of that) to make this a really bad situation.

Cheers.
I agree it would suck.

Maybe it is because I'm currently editing my manuscript and thus I am acutely aware of details/supporting criteria. I've just gotten very wary of news stories that are this vague - in the same way that I am wary of a first time FTer who titles a thread "worst flight ever" There are details here that a responsible reporter could have easily confirmed (i.e., what is the flight curfew time at Reagan).

My point would be: is there anything so earth shattering in this account that it couldn't have been held for another couple of hours in order to confirm these details and provide a full account.
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:07 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Curfews can be overridden. SJC has an 11:00 curfew, and I've landed there after midnight on a number of occasions. The have to pay fines, but it's likely cheaper than dealing with all the misplaced pax.

Cheers.
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
Given that the passengers were stuck in their seats without water or bathroom access for two hours (not to mention an explanation), I think the passengers have every right to be upset and the media is not overreacting in the slightest.
Which is not what the story says. The unnamed passenger states specifically "They even stopped people at first from getting up to go to the bathroom"

How long is "at first."
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by nd_eric_77 View Post
"DCA curfew"???

AA 1946 flies DFW - DCA and arrives at 0:50. According to the article, the flight landed at IAD at 1:00. Are you suggesting that there is a "curfew" which leaves a margin of error of only 10 minutes after the last scheduled inbound?
This diversion was not due to the curfew, as 738s are quiet enough to operate during the 10 p.m.-7 a.m. curfew.

AA1946 DFW-DCA arrived last night about 1:04 a.m.

The flight track for AA2192 shows that they started an approach to DCA, then broke it off and went to IAD:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...146Z/KMIA/KDCA
Old Jul 14, 08, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Curfews can be overridden. SJC has an 11:00 curfew, and I've landed there after midnight on a number of occasions. The have to pay fines, but it's likely cheaper than dealing with all the misplaced pax.

Cheers.
I live very close to SJC. Trust me, airlines break the p.m. curfew ALL the time.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 14, 08 at 9:37 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: