Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any ideas on how to get an FF trip from WAS to SYD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
Any ideas on how to get an FF trip from WAS to SYD?

I'm just through talking to AA rewards operator and there are supposedly no FF seats available to get from Washington to Sydney. Tried everything the operator and I could think of (via LAX, NRT, HKG, FRA, LHR, etc), but September, October and November are empty. Of course, Dec & Jan are blacklisted. Is there any word when the two of us might be able to get an FF flight? Preferably I'd like to go F on the long haul.

TIA
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Using search on Australia yields 20 pages of threads. Air Tahiti Nui and Air Pacific have been popular back-door ways to Australia.

The remark about Dec/Jan makes no sense. I can't find a reference to Qantas blackout dates on aa.com

Try a oneworld award into SYD/MEL/CNS/BNE from HKG, BKK, SIN, NRT or even SCL. First rather than business, if that's what you need all the way, vastly limits routing options.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by superV
Preferably I'd like to go F on the long haul.
NOT going to happen on Qantas Transpacific... F awards just arent' released.

It's too late to book J seats for September / October... you've got to book 300-330 days out. Lots of availablity in March/April/May of 09.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by n5177c
NOT going to happen on Qantas Transpacific... F awards just arent' released.

It's too late to book J seats for September / October... you've got to book 300-330 days out. Lots of availablity in March/April/May of 09.
Is this a new policy? I ask because I flew Qantas transpac awards in F in both November 2006 and November 2007.

As for J seats in September / October, friends booked LAX-MEL and back in J yesterday. So it may be too late today, but it wasn't yesterday.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA PLAT; Hilton Gold; Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by ohioflyer
Is this a new policy? I ask because I flew Qantas transpac awards in F in both November 2006 and November 2007.

As for J seats in September / October, friends booked LAX-MEL and back in J yesterday. So it may be too late today, but it wasn't yesterday.
I have been burning my miles on Australia flights and I have yet to see an F award (even one way) available. I don't see any transpac award seats in J for August, September, October, November, and December. First I see is Jan 11.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:26 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's not a policy, just increased demand and decreased supply, it would appear - but QF releases seats to QF FF flyers before the 330 day threshold, so everyone else gets "leftovers." Occasional seats may be released as RM software acts, but it gets harder and harder, then suddenly easier just before flight dates (no guarantees, however.)

Two together or F instead of C takes it to a new levels of difficulty, as well - be glad you are not taking two kids as well.

As others have stated, looking for alternatives to CX and QF, or looking at connections via YVR, SFO, NAN, AKL, BNE - even JL via MEX - etc. make sense as well - but what is this "blacklist" mentioned? I'm not familiar with it.

Originally Posted by ohioflyer

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 13, 2008 at 6:09 pm Reason: corrected; ohioflyer PMd with apology
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MM; UA 2P
Originally Posted by JDiver
...but what is this "blacklist" you mention? I'm not familiar with it.
JDiver, you quote me and then ask this. I believe your reply was meant for the OP. I never mentioned any blacklist and 3Cforme correctly questions this in post #2.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by superV
I'm just through talking to AA rewards operator and there are supposedly no FF seats available to get from Washington to Sydney. Tried everything the operator and I could think of (via LAX, NRT, HKG, FRA, LHR, etc), but September, October and November are empty. Of course, Dec & Jan are blacklisted. Is there any word when the two of us might be able to get an FF flight? Preferably I'd like to go F on the long haul.

TIA
Your best bet in F to SYD is through LHR.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:18 pm

I'm on a J award ticket to AKL in Aug and a F award ticket returning from MEL. They were not easy to get, had to book 330 days out etc. etc.

I've been monitoring the return to change (should something magically open up) and seats are scarce. However, ever now and then I see a seat. For instance a few hours ago I saw a J award seat available MEL-LAX sometime in Mid-Oct. Keep checking and check all sorts of routes. GL!
Old Jul 13, 2008, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
"For instance a few hours ago I saw a J award seat available MEL-LAX sometime in Mid-Oct. Keep checking and check all sorts of routes. GL!"

How do you monitor availablity of J award seats?
I always wind up having to go through the operator to get J award seats.
Thanks - Paul
Old Jul 13, 2008, 10:49 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
F awards trans-Pacific on QF are going to get even harder to find as they bring the A380s on line. So far QF is not releasing any F awards on the A380s, so you will be restricted to 744 flights.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Paulchili
"For instance a few hours ago I saw a J award seat available MEL-LAX sometime in Mid-Oct. Keep checking and check all sorts of routes. GL!"

How do you monitor availablity of J award seats?
I always wind up having to go through the operator to get J award seats.
Thanks - Paul
Do a search on Expert Flyer, or QF tool, BA tool.

You should find at least a doz threads on how these help to find seats BEFORE calling AAdvantage desk.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 11:58 pm
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
Originally Posted by Happy
Do a search on Expert Flyer, or QF tool, BA tool.
QF business class (and first class) awards do not show on ExpertFlyer.

Last edited by NM; Jul 14, 2008 at 12:32 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by NM
QF business class (and first class) awards to not show on ExpertFlyer.
QF business class (and first class) awards to not show on ExpertFlyer

That's too bad because it was QF business I was trying to find.
Thanks Happy, I will try Expert flyer sometime
Old Jul 14, 2008, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
QF business class (and first class) awards to not show on ExpertFlyer

That's too bad because it was QF business I was trying to find.
Thanks Happy, I will try Expert flyer sometime

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.