56 AA Flights Diverted from DFW 7/8/08

Old Jul 9, 2008, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DL
56 AA Flights Diverted from DFW 7/8/08

Count my flight 2012 from RNO as one of the 56. We diverted to AUS after our pilot said we didn't have enough fuel and DFW and DAL were both closed. He also reported an emergency incident at DFW on top of the weather causing the diversion. All I could find in terms of emergencys for the day can be found here, but this wasn't at DFW: Link

We spent about an hour on the ground at AUS as the refueled us. 4 other planes were also on the ground. Pax who had AUS as their final destination were allowed off and bused to the terminal. Pax on the plane were in good spirits, I wish I could say the same for the crew. I was disappointed with the FA's and their grumpy attitude during the delay and their refusual to serve any beverages or even offer water on the ground in AUS or on the continuation of the flight from AUS to DFW. The good news is we got in safely and I even made my connection to ORD which was also 2.5 hours late. Finally got to ORD about 1:40am. It's always an adventure!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:18 am

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by NotSoSuper80
Count my flight 2012 from RNO as one of the 56. We diverted to AUS after our pilot said we didn't have enough fuel and DFW and DAL were both closed. He also reported an emergency incident at DFW on top of the weather causing the diversion. All I could find in terms of emergencys for the day can be found here, but this wasn't at DFW: Link

We spent about an hour on the ground at AUS as the refueled us. 4 other planes were also on the ground. Pax who had AUS as their final destination were allowed off and bused to the terminal. Pax on the plane were in good spirits, I wish I could say the same for the crew. I was disappointed with the FA's and their grumpy attitude during the delay and their refusual to serve any beverages or even offer water on the ground in AUS or on the continuation of the flight from AUS to DFW. The good news is we got in safely and I even made my connection to ORD which was also 2.5 hours late. Finally got to ORD about 1:40am. It's always an adventure!
and airlines say that there isn't a need for a passenger bill of rights as their employees already make sure people are supplied with food, water and toilets during extended delays. ha!
Old Jul 9, 2008, 4:46 am

If you were actually refused water, then make sure AA knows about this.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by skylady
If you were actually refused water, then make sure AA knows about this.

I would also suggest alerting your congress representative, the faa, and your state's attorney general. A good resource for reporting and tracking these abuses is www.flyersrights.org

there is no excuse for denying someone trapped on a plane food, water, and toilets. If the FA's did in fact refuse water service, I hope you have their names. Perhaps they could be added to the top of the furlough list.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:08 am

They won't be added to the furlough list, but the termination list, if in fact this is the case.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:11 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by journalist212
I would also suggest alerting your congress representative, the faa, and your state's attorney general. A good resource for reporting and tracking these abuses is www.flyersrights.org

there is no excuse for denying someone trapped on a plane food, water, and toilets. If the FA's did in fact refuse water service, I hope you have their names. Perhaps they could be added to the top of the furlough list.
I give this thread a day until it is moved to OMNI.

Maybe the FAs didn't want to start service because the flight could have departed at any time?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
I give this thread a day until it is moved to OMNI.

Maybe the FAs didn't want to start service because the flight could have departed at any time?
there is never excuse to not provide someone with a cup of water. Unless they were on the tarmac about to pull onto the runway, FA's could have accommodated.

No matter how bitter the FAs may be, and they are going through a hard time right now.... they have a responsibility to provide safe transport. Water and restrooms (and food in extensive delays) is part of that.

If the FA did in fact deny this, I hope AA takes swift aaction against them.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 6:36 am

Sounds like the Pax were not denied restrooms.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
geez, why the fuss about not having beverage service during the 1hr on the ground in AUS and the short flight to DFW? or am I missing something?
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by benzguy80
geez, why the fuss about not having beverage service during the 1hr on the ground in AUS and the short flight to DFW? or am I missing something?
An hour can feel like a long time in a hot aircraft when it's been god knows how long since you've had your last glass. Some may need to take a pill.... or 2. Also, who's to say that the delay won't exceed the anticipated departure time. 1 hour can and has turn into 3-4 hours.

The bottom line is, if someone needs water, give it to them! I'm sorry if the crew was disinterested or held the belief that they could "tough it out".

It's a basic human need. I don't see why there should be much of a debate.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 7:56 am

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
did DFW really get t-storms yesterday? As in storms with rain??? If so, this (the storms) is very good news to me, as it means no need to water the lawn this week! ^
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by journalist212
An hour can feel like a long time in a hot aircraft when it's been god knows how long since you've had your last glass. Some may need to take a pill.... or 2. Also, who's to say that the delay won't exceed the anticipated departure time. 1 hour can and has turn into 3-4 hours.

The bottom line is, if someone needs water, give it to them! I'm sorry if the crew was disinterested or held the belief that they could "tough it out".

It's a basic human need. I don't see why there should be much of a debate.
FWIW, my ofc isn't far from AUS and the temps were moderate here yesterday late afternoon following a much needed rain shower.

I agree with giving water as needed, perhaps those with such needs could approach a FA discretely etc. I wasn't there ...

My point was not to lump in this in the same category as having to sit for 6+ hrs in sweltering heat etc. etc.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:35 am

FWIW, my ofc isn't far from AUS and the temps were moderate here yesterday late afternoon following a much needed rain shower.

I agree with giving water as needed, perhaps those with such needs could approach a FA discretely etc. I wasn't there ...

My point was not to lump in this in the same category as having to sit for 6+ hrs in sweltering heat etc. etc.
true, it's unclear whether they weren't proactive and failed at the service end, or if they worse denied a request for the wet stuff failing on a much more severe level.

you're right, we weren't there.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just the usual FT hyperbole when something goes awry. Turn everything into a Steven King novel.

Not to say that things of this ilk don't happen...but they're not all this bad

Cheers.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
did DFW really get t-storms yesterday? As in storms with rain??? If so, this (the storms) is very good news to me, as it means no need to water the lawn this week! ^
Yep they just popped up between about 6 and 830p. I was one of the lucky ones as my AE flight from AMA arrived around 5pm. There is a chance of more storms this afternoon so flyers beware.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.