H fares actually upgrade?

Old Jul 8, 08, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: preferred w/aa, ual, delta, hh, spg, mr
H fares actually upgrade?

I'm trying to sort out upgrades and miles to purchase a vacation trip in the fall. I'm considering an H fare on AA/CX JFK-HKG-BKK-HKG-JFK. And a side trip HKG-DPS-HKG. I'm AA gold and could (need to take care of) status match up to platinum. What are the upgrade options on an H fare? Would I be better off saving the $400 and just booking M since we'd have a snowball's chance?
Old Jul 8, 08, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
One can use AA miles to upgrade only on AA aircraft - not codeshares on CX aircraft. See the AA upgrades page for mileage & co-pay if you want to fly AA to Tokyo Narita and connect to C there.
Old Jul 8, 08, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Welcome to Flyertalk, lawest!

AA does not fly to Hong Kong themselves; You could fly to Tokyo on AA and upgrade as far as Tokyo while continueing on an AA codeshare (operated by JAL) to Bangkok.

Is is worth purchasing a more expensive ticket?

This depends how much you value business class (personal) and how much you dislike coach and how much $ you have.

As for upgrade changes, if you book midweek you have a good change of being upgraded. You could also use Expertflyer.com to see if AA has any flights where seats could be confirmed for upgrades right away. I did a little checking and see that on this route (LAX-Tokyo) upgrades would have to be waitlisted for most every date.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jul 8, 08 at 3:54 pm
Old Jul 8, 08, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Miles/upgrades on a H fare

Thanks!!

AA6091 is a CX code share flight. I gather as an AA platinumn/OW saphire there would not be an automatic upgrade possibility on an H fare?

I'm trying to find the best fare/carrier combo for the trip given my AA, UA, DL ff status.

...At least I'd get miles on this, unlike the CX M fare I'd been considering.
Old Jul 8, 08, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat
An H fare even on an AA metal flight is not free/auto upgradeable.
Old Jul 8, 08, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by lawest View Post
AA6091 is a CX code share flight. I gather as an AA platinumn/OW saphire there would not be an automatic upgrade possibility on an H fare?
As a rule with very few exceptions, miles from airline A cannot be used to get an upgrade on a plane flown by airline B. Status does not void this rule. Codeshares are marketing agreements and don't change your ability to upgrade on someone else's flight.

So I can purchase a Delta flight operated by Korean Air and will never be able to upgrade. I can purchase a United ticket operated by Thai airways and will never be able to upgrade. I can purchase an AA ticket operated by you name it and will never be able to upgrade. Etc....

AA upgrade rules apply to AA planes. UA upgrade rules apply to UA planes. DL upgrade rules apply to DL planes. And so on.

...At least I'd get miles on this, unlike the CX M fare I'd been considering.
Right!
With AA, ALL AA flight #s earn miles the same as if they were operated by AA no matter who the flight is actually on. So with AA, for miles earning purposes, the only thing that matters is that the flight numbers say AA (and are an eligible fare class).
I'm trying to find the best fare/carrier combo for the trip given my AA, UA, DL ff status.
If upgrading is your priority, you want to choose UA.
UA is the only one of these airlines that flies to Bangkok.
On an upgradeable UA ticket, you can upgrade all the way to Bangkok.
Not so with AA or DL since they don't fly there.

I'm assuming you want to use miles to upgrade with?

With UA, you can upgrade all the way to Bangkok for 30,000 UA miles each way, per person. You will also need to make sure the ticket books into an upgradeable fare bucket to be eligible for the upgrade.

If you don't care much about business class, this isn't worth it. If you value a business class ticket anywhere close to the $5000/person you would need to pay to actually buy one, this game is worth playing.

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Jul 8, 08 at 4:14 pm
Old Jul 8, 08, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You do not have an upgrade path with AA miles if you are flying on CX, regardless of whether you are flying as CX or AA codeshare. The major difference is on CX you must fly H or higher to earn AA miles, whereas if you fly the AA codeshare, you earn according to AA rules (and can fly a Challenge on the codeshare as well.)

The Wiki is your friend.
Old Jul 8, 08, 6:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 1.4MM
The OP said in another thread that she and her traveling companion are Vertically Challenged - the other way - as in TALL (he is 6'9"). She's looking for any way to get legroom.

I was going to suggest a fake leg cast...

http://www.angrybackhand.com
Old Jul 8, 08, 6:39 pm

... I'm AA gold and could (need to take care of) status match up to platinum. What are the upgrade options on an H fare? ...
To make sure...if you are planning on doing the challenge, codeshares (AA flt number) will count towards EQP but not CX flight numbers.
Old Jul 8, 08, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA - EXP 1.5 Million Miles, SPG Gold, hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by vrbaba View Post
To make sure...if you are planning on doing the challenge, codeshares (AA flt number) will count towards EQP but not CX flight numbers.
are you sure? I've flown cathay J (on a cx flight number) and gotten full EQP (including the 1.5 earning rate).
Old Jul 8, 08, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by journalist212 View Post
are you sure? I've flown cathay J (on a cx flight number) and gotten full EQP (including the 1.5 earning rate).
Yes, you get EQP for that flight, but, no, you can't apply it to the challenge. Challenges require EQP earned on AA flight numbers.
Old Jul 8, 08, 11:13 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
OP can transfer SPG Starpoints into AsiaMiles and apply for an upgrade if on a CX ticket. As has been pointed out, Aadvantage miles will not help in this regard. OP can choose to route JFK-NRT-BKK on AA and JL, and upgrade with Aadvantage miles on the JFK-NRT route.

Just a nitpick, but UA miles can be used to upgrade LH flights, and if UA ever returns to the *A Upgrade Program, upgrade on select full fares to the next cabin on the airlines that participate in the program.
Old Jul 9, 08, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by West Coast Ace View Post
The OP said in another thread that she and her traveling companion are Vertically Challenged - the other way - as in TALL (he is 6'9"). She's looking for any way to get legroom.[/url]
Pay for it, that's what I do, and I have a 100% success rate.
Old Jul 9, 08, 10:43 am
Original Poster

pay for it? Ouch.

This is leisure travel. I hate to pay for coach, none the less business.

Is there a info anywhere about amex's platinum intl business companion tickets?
Old Jul 9, 08, 10:47 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by ricktoronto View Post
Pay for it, that's what I do, and I have a 100% success rate.
I'll take a 95% success rate and 1/3 (or less) the cost anytime

Cheers.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: