EWR-EGE now JFK-EGE

Old Jul 7, 08, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

EWR-EGE now JFK-EGE

I see that the daily service from EWR-EGE has been moved to JFK-EGE. Flights are loaded in EF however you can not book any tickets as flights are f0 y0

When will AA release the inventory to book?
Old Jul 7, 08, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I always wondered why AA flew this flight out of EWR as opposed to JFK, particularly when CO also had an EWR-EGE flight. Maybe the pudding brains finally realized it made more sense out of JFK now that they have a mini-hub...
Old Jul 7, 08, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

AA began EGE service from EWR many years before CO. CO followed AA's Lead.
Old Jul 7, 08, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (3.1 MM), SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, and now formerly Avis Chairman's :(
Originally Posted by 87155 View Post
Still doesn't explain why AA had the service at EWR to begin with, considering the overall lack of service they have there vs. at JFK. Maybe it was connections for the old LHR-EWR flight? (kidding)
Old Jul 7, 08, 3:28 pm

This is a seasonal route out of EWR. AA introduces this route each winter for the ski season. It will probably be re-introduced next Winter. In fact, I saw the exact dates somewhere. I can't find them now!

I see that the daily service from EWR-EGE has been moved to JFK-EGE. Flights are loaded in EF however you can not book any tickets as flights are f0 y0

When will AA release the inventory to book?
Old Jul 7, 08, 3:32 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
And while I can't tell you how profitable the EWR-EGE route was, it was always full. It continued on to LAX and that flight was pretty empty, however.
Old Jul 7, 08, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (3.1 MM), SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, and now formerly Avis Chairman's :(
Originally Posted by AAPlatinum757 View Post
This is a seasonal route out of EWR. AA introduces this route each winter for the ski season. It will probably be re-introduced next Winter. In fact, I saw the exact dates somewhere. I can't find them now!
No, the point here is that it's no longer a seasonal route out of EWR. That flight no longer shows up on aa.com, but a JFK-EGE flight does.
Old Jul 7, 08, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jeffreyt View Post
And while I can't tell you how profitable the EWR-EGE route was, it was always full. It continued on to LAX and that flight was pretty empty, however.
I'm pretty sure it was a DFW-EGE flight that continued on to LAX. I recall sitting in EGE unable to get out because our plane was still in DFW.
Old Jul 7, 08, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CO has a major hub at EWR. AA does not. @:-)
Old Jul 7, 08, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

It actually makes sense to have the flight from JFK cause now they can have European connecting traffic. With the strength of the EURO and Pound there are many Euopeans coming to ski

if my memory serves me right for the 2008 season the ewr flight continued on to lax in previous years the dfw flight went on to lax. a couple of times I have flown to ege for a weekend of skiing before continuing on to lax for a monday meeting taking the sunday night flight.
Old Jul 8, 08, 1:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLAT
Originally Posted by SAN-man View Post
Still doesn't explain why AA had the service at EWR to begin with, considering the overall lack of service they have there vs. at JFK. Maybe it was connections for the old LHR-EWR flight? (kidding)
Why not? The flight worked out of EWR - very well, and it still does.

The switch to JFK is too feed off of European traffic, because European tourism to the U.S. continues to explode while domestic tourism is expected to slow. Otherwise AA would have likely kept it at EWR.

Even though CO flies EWR-EGE, AA has always carried more passengers on the route than CO; and it was not until very recently that CO flew the route daily. For years, as recently as 2006, AA's service was daily while CO was weekend-only.

The Vail flights are all goldmines. MIA-EGE is one of AA's single best performing domestic routes on a per-flight basis; and the other ones perform outstandingly as well.

And to make things better, they are subsidized by a travel bank, so if for whatever reason AA somehow lost money on these flights, their losses would be covered by Vail Resorts Management Co.
Old Jul 8, 08, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
Why not? The flight worked out of EWR - very well, and it still does.
Why not? Sorry, I still don't see how the mere fact that AA started EWR-EGE service before CO did has anything to do with why they flew the flight from EWR instead of JFK. No matter when they started it, there was a bigger AA presence from JFK. Why the move to JFK all of a sudden? Especially if EWR is working so very well.
Old Jul 8, 08, 8:51 am

I think the move to JFK will be ok. EWR was always nice because it was so calm and the flight always left on-time. Although the rush hour traffic to get out there - not so much fun. Now if only they would extend the LGA-EGE flights to daily instead of Saturday only. I've also always wished they could fly a late afternoon EGE-NYC flight so people could ski and then fly (as most of the LAX people do).

On a separate note, when is someone going to start NYC-JAC route?
Old Jul 8, 08, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
I believe daily lga-ege won't happen without congressional legislation: there is a 1500 mile cap on all flights except for Denver every day but Saturday.

LGA-EGE is >1700 miles.
Old Jul 8, 08, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

They used to fly ege-ewr 4:00 departure got in to ewr like 11:00. Problem was they were verry weight restricted and many times had to stop in denver for fuel. By moving to a morning departure its a lot cooler.

I will they would move back to 4pm. Used to ski the day then fly home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: