Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-EGE now JFK-EGE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:20 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by SAN-man
Why the move to JFK all of a sudden?
I already explained why: an sharp increase in European visitors combined with a predicted decline in domestic tourism.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
How about just a hub/presence at JFK vs. a very small operation at EWR? Makes perfect sense for connecting traffic, building on AA's strengths, preserve a slot at JFK etc etc etc
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
How about just a hub/presence at JFK vs. a very small operation at EWR? Makes perfect sense for connecting traffic, building on AA's strengths, preserve a slot at JFK etc etc etc
Of course it makes perfect sense, but the question is why are they just making the change NOW? Your points have been relevant for a number of years, yet they continued to serve EGE from EWR and not JFK.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
I already explained why: an sharp increase in European visitors combined with a predicted decline in domestic tourism.
From where? ZRH? That's the only AA Europe destination I see where a JFK connection is of any additional value.

Originally Posted by mizzou miles
This makes much more sense. But all of these were true last year as well. AA has always had a stronger presence in JFK than EWR.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From where? ZRH? That's the only AA Europe destination I see where a JFK connection is of any additional value.
I guess you mean that ZRH is the only European city from which you couldn't get to EGE via ORD/DFW, which I guess is true, but if there really is a sharp increase in Euros wanting to ski in Colorado then at least offering a connection in JFK increases the available capacity to EGE from cities like CDG, BRU and LHR.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Well, that's might be what you see, but you of course ignore Barcelona, Milan, and Rome, none served from Chicago (Rome is summer-only from Chicago now).

And, again, with an expected decrease in domestic travel demand to Vail, they hope to make up for it with the increased European traffic.

This makes much more sense. But all of these were true last year as well. AA has always had a stronger presence in JFK than EWR.
Correct. It was all true last year. But you know what wasn't true last year? A surge in demand for European travel to the United States.

I have given the answer as to why the switch was made, and that's that. The switch was made to feed Europe. It's really that simple. I'm not just making up some random guesses. The answer I am giving is the actual and official reason route planning decided to make the switch. If someone would like to argue otherwise, so be it, but any other answer is wrong.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by 87155
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

They used to fly ege-ewr 4:00 departure got in to ewr like 11:00. Problem was they were verry weight restricted and many times had to stop in denver for fuel. By moving to a morning departure its a lot cooler.

I will they would move back to 4pm. Used to ski the day then fly home.
Now that you think of it, your right - I was on one of those stopover in DEN flights. Really annoying come to think of it. Added 1+ hr to the travel time.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 8:23 am

[QUOTE=MAH4546;9998197]

Even though CO flies EWR-EGE, AA has always carried more passengers on the route than CO; and it was not until very recently that CO flew the route daily. For years, as recently as 2006, AA's service was daily while CO was weekend-only.

QUOTE]

Besides frequency, IIRC doesn't CO in fact fly the route with a 737 vs. AA's 757?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.