Wiki Posts
Search

Admirals club - family guest rules

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, HH Dia
Admirals club - family guest rules

Im Plat and traveling LHR-ORD. As a Plat, I have entry to Admirals Club for this international trip.

On this occasion I have wife and 2 kids travelling with me (no status). Can they come into lounge with me?

I have searched through AA site but cant find anything.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Technically, the "family rule" applies to AC members, not Emerald/Sapphire members flying internationally, so you are technically allowed only one guest.

In actuality, the AC may allow your family to enter with you, particularly in the US. The odds of this happening at ACs outside of the US are a bit less, but not impossible.

Rules at non-AA oneworld lounges are typically vigorously enforced, so expect to be refused at these clubs on most occasions.

The lounge access policy is on the AC site: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ungeAccess.jsp
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Technically, the "family rule" applies to AC members, not Emerald/Sapphire members flying internationally, so you are technically allowed only one guest.

In actuality, the AC may allow your family to enter with you, particularly in the US. The odds of this happening at ACs outside of the US are a bit less, but not impossible.

Rules at non-AA oneworld lounges are typically vigorously enforced, so expect to be refused at these clubs on most occasions.

The lounge access policy is on the AC site: http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...ungeAccess.jsp
I'll give it a try then.

Thanks
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by carruthers
I'll give it a try then.

Thanks
On the return, I don't think you'll have any trouble accessing the LHR A/C w/the entire group. I wouldn't try to get into the CX or JAL lounges though.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I wouldn't try to get into the CX or JAL lounges though.
No reason not to try. Worst that can happen is they say no. I'd give the CX lounge a shot.

P.S. to the OP: if you're traveling on a fare that gives at least 1x EQPs, make sure to sign the family up for at least a GLD challenge.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
I encountered some resistance two years ago when traveling as a PLT AUS-DFW-CDG-ORD-AUS with wife and two children (one borrowed ;-). AC at DFW really didn't want me (as non-AC member) to bring in more than one guest. They relented after some gentle persuasion. AC front desk folks at ORD on the way back raised an eyebrow but let us in anyway. I think the sympathy factor seeing us all bleary eyed after TATL helped in ORD, FWIW.

YMMV,
benzguy80
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:46 am
Original Member, Ambassador: OneWorld Alliance

Programs: AA ExecPlat & 3MM; Marriott Titanium
Give it a try, if they are not busy and you ask nicely, they will probably let all of you in. They did so for me last month.

The key is to be nice and know that they are doing you a favor (you are only entitled to 1 guest).
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:55 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Itty bitty kids may be easier to bring in than full-fledged 21-year-olds who are technically your kids but would be a tough salesjob.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:34 am

Programs: AA ExP
From my experience those with kids that are well-behaved and appear to remain so are let in more often than not. However, I was behind one family with one older kid and two younger ones that were turned away at the AC in ORD. The two younger kids were kind of ratty looking and hyper, so that might have played a part.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

My kids are cute 4 & 7 year olds, so should have a good chance.

If they are mis-behaving, I'll leave 'em out in the terminal
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
So those are your kids.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
My kids are cute 4 & 7 year olds, so should have a good chance.

If they don't let the kids in, tell the kids to stick around the AC front desk until you come back out.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, PCR Plat/Amb
Originally Posted by gemac
If they don't let the kids in, tell the kids to stick around the AC front desk until you come back out.
Ho-ho... I think we have a winner for the Evil Genius award for July!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:57 pm
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
some tips i always use when i try to get stuff i'm not technically supposed to get:

-be extra nice to the agent
-have your kids be well behaved (perhaps even "hidden" under the high counter if possible so they're not that visible)
-try to get a guy, since it's my wife's theory that guy service agents are actually nicer than girl service agents
-if it's a girl agent, you speak to her; if it's a guy agent, have your wife ask.

good luck!
Old Jul 7, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA PLT
We are AC members now so not an issue, but before we joined, we never had any problem getting our two sons in the AC. But they are experts at looking meek and very sweet. My youngest has really big blue eyes which can win over almost anyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.