CX F Award HKG-JFK with YVR-Connection/Downgrade Issues

Old Jul 2, 08, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 1MM & SPG Gold
CX F Award HKG-JFK with YVR-Connection/Downgrade Issues

I have been issued an F award ticket on CX 888 HKG to YVR, but the F awards seats were unavailable from YVR to JFK at booking. I am booked the next day on AA via Dallas to JFK. I called today and a Business award seat is now available on the second leg of CX 888 YVR to JFK. AA Agent says ticket is unworkable due to connection time, I finally get them to see the light and understand its the sames plane. Now they are unsure if I can downgrade during the stopover. As anyone ever done this. Suggestions.
Old Jul 2, 08, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Never done this, but I'd be very surprised if the F award on the YVR-JFK segment doesn't become available at some point in advance. I'd just keep watching (via Asiamiles website) and have them change the ticket when it opens up.
Old Jul 3, 08, 1:12 am

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I don't see why it should be a problem. Plus, as has been pointed out, just keep checking back and look out for the F seat to open up. You might now see it until much closer to departure, say a week or less, but CX is known of releasing seats at the last minute
Old Jul 3, 08, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT 1MM & SPG Gold
Thanks for the Info. I have been using Asia Miles to check on the first award. Asia Miles shows an F award seat on the YVR to JFK leg but AA says they only see Businesses. Is this normal? The issue with the wait see approach is my final destination is MIA and there is limited award availability on all NYC-MIA flights since I am flying the Sunday after Thanksgiving. AA is going to call CX and see if they can push it through, but they have asked if I will downgrade the whole flight to HKG-YVR-JFK to Business, if CX says no to the mid-trip downgrade at YVR. I am thinking an overnight in YVR is worth it to experience CX F. Thoughts?
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It shouldn't be a problem. You are allowed to voluntarily downgrade to a lower class of service and wait for inventory to open up in your award class.

And yes, AsiaMiles inventory can differ from AAdvantage inventory.

Finally, no - I wouldn't take an unnecessary overnight stay just to experience CX F, but then I'm a bit blase about premium class service after so many years on FT...
Old Jul 3, 08, 9:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
but then I'm a bit blase about premium class service after so many years on FT...
I sure hope that it's flying in premium class that has made you blase, as opposed to the FT experience itself

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 08, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by brp View Post
I sure hope that it's flying in premium class that has made you blase, as opposed to the FT experience itself

Cheers.
Premium class....

FT has helped to plant my behind in F/J seats in over a dozen different airlines so my perspective on the value of taking a CX F seat is probably a bit biased.
Old Jul 3, 08, 10:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Plato90s View Post
Premium class....

FT has helped to plant my behind in F/J seats in over a dozen different airlines so my perspective on the value of taking a CX F seat is probably a bit biased.
Oh, I completely agree. Starting as someone who, when younger, figured I'd never want to fly in a premium class (because I just didn't need it) to someone who get pissed when my upgrade doesn't come through, I can totally understand

As a result of FT all of my AA international flights get upgraded as well as 90+% of the domestics. And the F award on AA/JL/CX to SIN and HKG this past XMas/NYE totally didn't suck.

The premium nature of the FT experience? Well, ah...maybe not so much

Cheers.
Old Jul 4, 08, 12:50 am

Programs: hardly any
Due to U.S. preclearance at HKG?

CaribAA:

Some time ago there was a posting on this board by a traveler who said that on the CX 1-stop flight from HKG (via YVR) to JFK, through passengers to JFK are forbidden to deplane at YVR. The posting indicated that this stricture was in place due to the U.S. security preclearance that occurs at HKG. Perhaps that odd situation might explain the difficulty you are encountering with changing seats mid-flight, as it were.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: