RDU AC - info?

Old Jun 29, 08, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA
RDU AC - info?

Can someone please describe the RDU AC to me?
Is it small, cramped like SFO
Or large and expansive like DFW and STL
Or large and packed like ORD?
Or small, but loud like SNA?
I have some important business colleagues that want to meet me there for some work. Wondering what to expect.
Is there a quiet restaurant there instead at RDU? Any reccs for 2 hours of business?
Old Jun 29, 08, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
A responsible person could reserve a conference room at the RDU AC.
Old Jun 29, 08, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by sambb View Post
Can someone please describe the RDU AC to me?
Is it small, cramped like SFO

Even smaller I think.

Or large and expansive like DFW and STL

No

Or large and packed like ORD?

No

Or small, but loud like SNA?

Small but not loud. Empty except before the LHR flight.

I have some important business colleagues that want to meet me there for some work. Wondering what to expect.

Is there a quiet restaurant there instead at RDU? Any reccs for 2 hours of business?

There is an A&W. Don't think that's what you are looking for though.
Old Jun 29, 08, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

conference room - not in the budget. so it would not be responsible.
Old Jun 29, 08, 9:02 pm

It's small, but if its not before the London flight, it will probably do.
Old Jun 29, 08, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by rbessler View Post
It's small, but if its not before the London flight, it will probably do.
I agree that as long as it isn't during the 2 hours prior to AA174 departure the AC is your best bet. There are a few bars/fast food places (Directory here), but none of them are appropriate for a business meeting.
Old Jun 29, 08, 10:36 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Do you have to meet airside? I'm sure there's an airport hotel or 2 that are close by where you could have your meeting
Old Jun 29, 08, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cstead View Post
Do you have to meet airside? I'm sure there's an airport hotel or 2 that are close by where you could have your meeting
There are a number of hotels just off of airport property (2-3 miles), but none of them are particularly nice. If you want to leave the airport I would recommend lunch or dinner at the Capital City Chop House which is just off airport property.

Security at RDU is rarely an issue, especially since you are Plat and can use the First/Elite line. I don't think I have ever spent more than 10 minutes going through security at Term C.
Old Jun 29, 08, 11:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
As others have stated, it's small, probably a bit smaller than SFO. IIRC, there are two rooms - one main room to your right as you enter, with the bar at the end, and a smaller, slightly quieter room at the other end to your left. Think the computer room is at the left end, too. Didn't see where the conference room was.

Here's the relevant info from the old RDU AC webpage (no longer available):

Club Amenities
Seating for 82, eight work desks, two Lenovo ThinkCentre computers with complimentary high-speed Internet access, complimentary local phone service (8), AT&T® equal access phone service with data ports (15), complimentary copier, complimentary use of laser jet printer, message services, and FedEx® drop-off and pick-up service. Morning breakfast
items, cheese and crackers in the afternoon and full-service cash/credit bar.

Conference Rooms
One conference room with seating for up to 10. The room is equipped with presentation board, speakerphone (with data port).
Complimentary coffee service is available upon request.
Old Jun 30, 08, 11:40 am

Location: NC USA (AA 2 Million Miler, AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold)
Originally Posted by aaflier_RDU View Post
There are a number of hotels just off of airport property (2-3 miles), but none of them are particularly nice. If you want to leave the airport I would recommend lunch or dinner at the Capital City Chop House which is just off airport property.

Security at RDU is rarely an issue, especially since you are Plat and can use the First/Elite line. I don't think I have ever spent more than 10 minutes going through security at Term C.
if you can meet offsite, 1 exit away (3 minutes) in Cary is a brand new hotel called "The Umstead" They call it a "resort" but not sure why. It's a 5 star/5 diamond hotel and same quality restaurant. Have heard it's good service. Beats anything nearby. Have a spa there too. Just off Harrison Avenue next to SAS.
Old Jul 3, 08, 8:55 am

AC is small, but the quietest/most appropriate place for a business meeting at RDU. Expect the seating areas to be fairly empty from opening to 4 PM or so unless there are major weather delays. Club's there because RDU used to be a hub, but hardly a hangout these days.
Old Jul 4, 08, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
The computer terminals are behind a half wall at the other end from the bar.

Very small AC (I haven't been to SFO when their was open, so can't compare).

I was there to/from LGW flight, and even though it was full just before going to London, it was nicely quiet.

View kind of sucks. Technically there are a couple gates near it on that side of the terminal (away from runways, towards highway and parking garage), but I think they would only use those with RJs and turboprops. Mostly looking on highway, garage and some pieces of airport equipment parked on tarmac pad.

Nice local micro-brew beer on tap.

Steve
Old Jul 4, 08, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Sounds pretty much like the ATL club to me...

I would recommend the Conference Room as well. Not sure how your budget is put together but if you go to the 5* luxury Hotel and order something to drink or maybe even a snack it will exceed what you pay at the AC for an hour or so. Plus the hassle with TSA if you fly out again !

Arent there special rates for members as well ?

And even if not, I see folks holding small meetings all the time in AC's and lounges all over so there doesnt seem to be a problem.
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

I am intrigued by the idea of a nearby restaurant.. chop house is not our thing.. any other suggestions?
Old Jul 4, 08, 7:47 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
Small, yes - but very helpful and attentive staff, including the very nice woman behind the bar. Her name escapes me unfortunately.

Search this Thread