Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RDU AC - info?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The OP doesn't indicate if s/he is an Admirals Club member - but if so, Regis conference facilities or office space is available at reasonable cost - AC membership includes free Regis membership.

But I have to say, from a personal perspective, if the meeting is halfway important, I'd spring for the conference room for two hours, whether AC or Regis, even if "it's not in the budget." After all, business is business.

Originally Posted by sambb
Can someone please describe the RDU AC to me?
I have some important business colleagues that want to meet me there for some work. Wondering what to expect.
Is there a quiet restaurant there instead at RDU? Any reccs for 2 hours of business?
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
I am intrigued by the idea of a nearby restaurant.. chop house is not our thing.. any other suggestions?
Just north of the airport is Brier Creek shopping center, which has lots of your standard issue chain restaurants...it's about a 3 minute drive once you leave the airport. Brier Creek Commons

Going the other direction, in the same vicinity as the Umstead hotel there is also a Ruth Chris steakhouse and a Bonefish Grill. The Arboretum at Weston

And my personal favorite restaurant in the area, the RDU Airport Hooters, located about 2 mins past the Chop House.

Depending on what you want, for a business meeting I'd reconsider the Chop House. It's definitely nicer than a chain restaurant but not too quiet or stuffy. You could probably just hop on the Thrifty rental car bus (I think it's Thrifty), ride it to the rental office, then just walk across the street to Chop House.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:43 pm

Programs: EXP 1MM
I am intrigued by the idea of a nearby restaurant.. chop house is not our thing.. any other suggestions?
Depending on the time of day, there are other choices within 2 miles of the airport, e.g. Hooters and other fast food type places, a small deli (lunch only), Angus Barn, etc. Within 5 miles has many more choices including a food court at the old Outlet Mall (since refurbed and renamed) or a number of restaurants at Brier Creek.

J...
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2.2 MM, Admirals Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Avis Presidents, National Exec
Larger than SNA, maybe about the size of AUS (but not as nice). It's one of the more run-down ACs.

As everyone has stated, as long as it isn't before the London flight it'll be peaceful.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM
Originally Posted by BrianV
Larger than SNA, maybe about the size of AUS (but not as nice). It's one of the more run-down ACs.

As everyone has stated, as long as it isn't before the London flight it'll be peaceful.
How is RDU run-down? It was relocated to a new space around 2004 before the demolition/reconstruction of the north concourse started. The furniture is in much, much better shape than the broken, worn down chairs in the LHR Flagship Lounge last summer. It is clean with a working computer, conference room and great staff. Of course I'm being a bit defensive of my home AC. I'm curious why you categorize RDU as run-down.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta
How is RDU run-down? It was relocated to a new space around 2004 before the demolition/reconstruction of the north concourse started. The furniture is in much, much better shape than the broken, worn down chairs in the LHR Flagship Lounge last summer. It is clean with a working computer, conference room and great staff. Of course I'm being a bit defensive of my home AC. I'm curious why you categorize RDU as run-down.
Maybe its the crowd. I think the LHR flight was about to leave in 1-2 hours or so when I went there last weekend.

Reluctantly, I did buy the membership, and decided to do it at RDU as I thought it might help them being in a relatively small airport. (I got a company discount which made it less than an EXPs annual fee, but they didnt check for any IDs )

However, they were packed. I was barely able to find a chair to even sit at, let alone put my luggage aside and sit comfortably with noone in close proximity. There were tons of kids, and they finally opened up the conference room for more people coming in to sit. Some were sitting in the lobby next to the printers.

But I suppose it was the time of day. The place was clean and well maintained. Decent looking bar and clean coffee area.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by vrbaba
Maybe its the crowd. I think the LHR flight was about to leave in 1-2 hours or so when I went there last weekend.

Reluctantly, I did buy the membership, and decided to do it at RDU as I thought it might help them being in a relatively small airport. (I got a company discount which made it less than an EXPs annual fee, but they didnt check for any IDs )

However, they were packed. I was barely able to find a chair to even sit at, let alone put my luggage aside and sit comfortably with noone in close proximity. There were tons of kids, and they finally opened up the conference room for more people coming in to sit. Some were sitting in the lobby next to the printers.

But I suppose it was the time of day. The place was clean and well maintained. Decent looking bar and clean coffee area.

Yup, the AC gets completely packed before the LHR flight, because it has all of the F and J passengers. Try visiting in the morning before 11am...will be almost empty.
Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by ByeByeDelta

Agree. There is nothing "run down" in the RDU AC. Its nothing special but not run down.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
In any event, we are only months away from the new north concourse of Terminal 2 and a new AC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.