FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is AA the only US airline with power on almost all planes? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/838969-aa-only-us-airline-power-almost-all-planes.html)

riteshraja Jun 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Is AA the only US airline with power on almost all planes?

I dont fly any other then AA for 99.9% of my travels. Recently I have had to take CO and UA for some segments and realized how good I have it on AA. Almost all flights I take have power whether its a MD80, 737, 757 etc on AA.

UA and CO dont seem to have power in Y even on their larger planes. Given all the talk about comparing AA vs UA vs CO this one thing on AA makes it over the top for me. Rather watch something on the laptop screen rather then a 2.5" ipod or iphone.

ricktoronto Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

Every plane has power. Some used to fly , some used for ovens, lighting, TV, intercom and the like. I flew in a Gypsy Moth once, It had none and you had to wear a leather helmet and turn the prop by hand. AA is not there (yet). The new Eagle. Literally. It will be a real eagle.

My laptop and iPod have batteries in them and work for a while without power.

Seatguru.com will show you who and what seats have power on a lot of airlines, if you mean in seat power for your own personal use.

Note CO does in some widebody planes.

britenbsas Jun 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja (Post 9944756)
Almost all flights I take have power whether its a MD80, 737, 757 etc

Fortunately, ALL of the flights I have been on have had power :D

riteshraja Jun 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ricktoronto (Post 9945013)
.. I flew in a Gypsy Moth once, ..

Do you mean AC? :)

mvoight Jun 26, 2008 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by riteshraja (Post 9944756)
I dont fly any other then AA for 99.9% of my travels. Recently I have had to take CO and UA for some segments and realized how good I have it on AA. Almost all flights I take have power whether its a MD80, 737, 757 etc on AA.

UA and CO dont seem to have power in Y even on their larger planes. Given all the talk about comparing AA vs UA vs CO this one thing on AA makes it over the top for me. Rather watch something on the laptop screen rather then a 2.5" ipod or iphone.

Virgin America's website says it has AC power, so you don't even need an adapter.

steve32 Jun 26, 2008 8:28 pm

You are correct.

I use them to run my DVD player. (Load limit is 75W, which will work for most laptop computers; though not mine as mine is really a "portable" that "Hoovers" up a whopping 145W! :eek:, being a Dell Inspiron 9100 I bought for doing heavy duty graphics and 3-D picture renderings when on trips, more than a year before I found FlyerTalk and started flying a lot. My AC adapter is literally nearly the size of a brick.)

Easiest way to compare features, like power ports, is the comparison charts on www.SeatGuru.com

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/domestic_economy.php

http://www.seatguru.com/charts/domestic_first_class.php

AA's coach exit rows I think all have power (except the RJs and turboprops), as well as all business and first class seats, which is what most of us see.

It's usually every other row has power in AA coach (again, except the RJs and turboprops), so it does pay to double-check www.SeatGuru.com to be sure to have it.

Steve

makfan Jun 26, 2008 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 9945108)
Virgin America's website says it has AC power, so you don't even need an adapter.

Yep, VX has AC power with standard (US) outlets in every row (2 outlets per 3 seats in Y and 1 outlet pet seat in F IIRC). It's quite handy for those of us with the newer Macs, where the airplane adapter only powers the system (and sometimes does not provide enough power to avoid draining the battery slowly).

In my experience, AA provides the largest number of DC power ports of any major US carrier.

Steph3n Jun 26, 2008 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 9945221)

In my experience, AA provides the largest number of DC power ports of any major US carrier.

I never had much success on the 737's getting them to work :(

makfan Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by steve32 (Post 9945133)

It's usually every other row has power in AA coach (again, except the RJs and turboprops), so it does pay to double-check www.SeatGuru.com to be sure to have it.

Steve

Be careful with the 763s. SeatGuru's power port indicators do not match AA's "Our Planes" map. The "Our Planes" diagram is correct, as I found out when I picked 22B because SeatGuru said it had power. It did not. They seem to have relocated many of the power ports to the mini-cabin (rows 10-13) during the NGBC seat upgrades. All mini-cabin rows (both the side and the middle sections) have at least one power port now.

dstan Jun 26, 2008 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 9945241)
Be careful with the 763s. SeatGuru's power port indicators do not match AA's "Our Planes" map. The "Our Planes" diagram is correct, as I found out when I picked 22B because SeatGuru said it had power. It did not. They seem to have relocated many of the power ports to the mini-cabin (rows 10-13) during the NGBC seat upgrades. All mini-cabin rows (both the side and the middle sections) have at least one power port now.

Hope you sent that info to SeatGuru so that they can update their seatmap!

Edited to add: Are you saying that Version 1 is incorrect? Or just that you had Version 2?

makfan Jun 26, 2008 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by dstan (Post 9945372)
Hope you sent that info to SeatGuru so that they can update their seatmap!

Edited to add: Are you saying that Version 1 is incorrect? Or just that you had Version 2?

I think I sent it to SeatGuru, but I can't swear that I did. This came up early in a string of six weeks of trips so the memory is a little fuzzy.

Neither SeatGuru Version 1 or Version 2 matches what AA shows for its 763 seat map (as far as power goes). The times I have been in Y on a 763 seemed to match the AA seat map under About Us -> Our Planes. I don't even know what the difference is between Version 1 and Version 2 now that NGBC seats are completely installed.

SeatGuru also shows both versions of the 763 as having lie-flat swivel seats. I think we can all agree that these seats don't swivel. They do mention on Version 1 that the power port assignments can vary.

dstan Jun 26, 2008 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by makfan (Post 9945642)
Neither SeatGuru Version 1 or Version 2 matches what AA shows for its 763 seat map (as far as power goes). The times I have been in Y on a 763 seemed to match the AA seat map under About Us -> Our Planes. I don't even know what the difference is between Version 1 and Version 2 now that NGBC seats are completely installed.

Here's what I see for the 763 (align SeatGuru v1 and v2 in adjacent tabs and switch back and forth to see the differences more easily):

Code:

Power                AA        SGv1        SGv2
Row 12                all        none        ABHJ
Row 13                all        none        ABHJ

Row 22                CEG        all        none
Row 23                CEG        all        none

Row 28                all        none        none

Other
biz class        ?        NGBC        NGBC
rows 43,44        yes        no        yes
mid-cabin
galleys                2        1        2

As you noted, v1 also says: "Beware that the power ports in economy are not consistent across all aircraft. Some of the older planes have no power in economy." Too bad they can't be more definitive, but there may just be too many variations for some reason.

r415 Jun 27, 2008 1:40 am

Y on the 777s also doesn't seem to always be correct in the rear cabin, as far as powerports go. See <http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...wer+777&page=2>

bernardd Jun 27, 2008 2:59 am

Originally Posted by dstan (Post 9945724)
As you noted, v1 also says: "Beware that the power ports in economy are not consistent across all aircraft. Some of the older planes have no power in economy." Too bad they can't be more definitive, but there may just be too many variations for some reason.

IIRC the ex-TWA aircraft, particularly the 757's, generally didn't have power in Coach, though I think most of those have gone now?

Shawn02139 Jun 27, 2008 3:20 am

boy, my habit of flying AA burned me on this trip. I used to pack 3 batteries for travel, but once i became an aa loyalist, just brought my igo juice.
But b/c AA was late, I was rebooked on UA from BOS>LAX (5 hours work lost); and surprisingly the Cathay (dragonair) flight in business class from HKG>DLC didn't have power either.

on this dimension, i really think aa is the best...