Is AA the only US airline with power on almost all planes?

Old Oct 26, 08, 3:03 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
The solution to the problem is CO's new 737s they have a universal standard outlet and it provides plenty power for my c2d 15" full sized or my hp mininote
Maybe, but CO is not a good choice for me for several other reasons.
Old Oct 26, 08, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Maybe, but CO is not a good choice for me for several other reasons.
I understand, but still the technical side of the model 737 CO is using has a good power system.
Old Oct 27, 08, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by AADJ View Post
What were your seat #'s. Maybe it was just enough voltage on the 2nd flight to run it and on the 1st flight you were farther from the generators so the voltage was just a little lower below the threshold that the computer needs. I have a frat bro who is a liason eng. on the 777 line in Everett. I should ask him, although all the seats and stuff are put in by someone else I think.
Sounds plausible. On my first flight I was in 13E, and the second 9A. I also returned in 9A, again with no problems. I was also OK on an MD80 in 5A, but have had mixed experience in the past.

I will keep a note of the seats in future, to see whether there is a pattern.
Old Oct 27, 08, 9:58 am

Programs: DL Gold, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, National EE
Regarding taking the battery out... I've found that with my particular laptop (Dell Precision M6300) I get a power error if I try to boot up/wake up the computer with a less than large enough power supply (such as my universal Auto/Air/AC unit).

However, if I power up the computer without plugging in the adapter (let it get to the Windows startup screen), then plug in the adapter, I can run as long as I want but. Charging of the battery seems to be either disabled or at a much reduced rate (sometimes it actually charges though!).

Just a hint for those who may want to try it without having to remove their batteries.
Old Oct 27, 08, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
I had the same experience with my MacBook. But since I got a MacBook Pro, I have found that using the power port usually only slightly extends my battery life (even with brightness turned down).

Has anyone found a way of reducing battery drain when the the MacBook Pro is connected to the power port?
I like 21F on Mad Dogs, and use a Kensington adapter for my MacBook. The first few times I used it, all was well, then I couldn't get it to work at all on one plane. It would work for just a few seconds when I'd plug it in, but then not at all (and my battery was low on juice, so didn't have time to figure out what was wrong).

The next time I flew I had more juice in the battery and had the same problem. This time I had the brainstorm to reduce screen brightness and that did the trick. I even found if I reduced enough that the 75W was enough to recharge the battery slowly.

Since then I always reduce the screen brightness before boarding the plane.
Old Oct 27, 08, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD
Originally Posted by AADJ View Post
One time the power port did not have the green LED lit so I reached under and found the wire leading from the box and felt a small molex connector that attached the box wire to the wire from the seat, unplugged it and plugged it back in and the light came on. I guess it only needed resetting. I am an electrical engineer that's why I thought of it. .
I am an engineer, but not an electrical one, so I did the next best thing first time this happened to me...I brought it the attention of the FA ...who promptly went to the front galley (it was mad dog, if I remember right) and flipped whatever power switch it was that turns these on. She acknowledged forgetting to do so earlier...

The point is that there is a master switch that the FA's can somehow control.
Old Oct 28, 08, 8:30 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by phillykp View Post
I am an engineer, but not an electrical one, so I did the next best thing first time this happened to me...I brought it the attention of the FA ...who promptly went to the front galley (it was mad dog, if I remember right) and flipped whatever power switch it was that turns these on. She acknowledged forgetting to do so earlier...

The point is that there is a master switch that the FA's can somehow control.
Good point. I didn't do that because the other one in my row was on so I knew the master switch was on.
Old Oct 28, 08, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by nbevan View Post
Sounds plausible. On my first flight I was in 13E, and the second 9A. I also returned in 9A, again with no problems. I was also OK on an MD80 in 5A, but have had mixed experience in the past.

I will keep a note of the seats in future, to see whether there is a pattern.
Maybe it wasn't the seat location. If you were in row 3 on one flight and 33 on another it might make sense. It was just a theory.
Old Oct 28, 08, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum
After flying AA some and using those coach plugs, all I can say is United has E+ but sure sucks with cabin power plugs.

Search this Thread