Is AA the only US airline with power on almost all planes?

Old Jun 30, 08, 4:51 pm
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
Thanks steve32 and KBMIFlyer!
Old Jun 30, 08, 5:47 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by Mountain Trader View Post
So with a Macbook, what do you need to connect to on-board power? Is it the same for all airlines?

Thanks for your help!
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...?nplm=MB441Z/A

http://mikegyver.com/IdeasnProducts/...car/index.html
Old Jul 1, 08, 10:56 am

The most recent review on the Apple site linked above (June 23, 2008) reports that the Apple converter supplies some power but the battery still drains to empty.

Anyone with hands-on experience either way with the Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter?
Old Jul 1, 08, 6:03 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I use it all the time (The Apple adaptor) and experience ZERO battery drain. I use a Macbook, though. Maybe Macbook Pro's have a slight battery drain. Sometimes when I run an external USB hard drive from my Macbook, the battery power drains about 1% every 10 minutes or so. It would take a LONG time to drain to nothing at that rate, though.
Old Jul 11, 08, 1:53 pm
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
OK - so i found the power supply when I flew last night - but it looked like a car cigarette lighter power supply!

so i guess i have to buy an adaptor? are there any planes that have regular 2 or 3 prong sockets?
Old Jul 11, 08, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by jaf View Post
OK - so i found the power supply when I flew last night - but it looked like a car cigarette lighter power supply!
Take a look at the AA.com technology page
Old Jul 12, 08, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so i guess i have to buy an adaptor? are there any planes that have regular 2 or 3 prong sockets?
Not in AA's fleet. All AA planes use the cigarette-light type power supply. Reason: It's low-voltage DC, not 120V AC, and so easier to distribute safely throughout the plane. The fact that they can use this cheap and reliable plug type is one of the reasons AA has more outlets in more classes on their planes than most other airlines. (Cigarette lighter type plug receptables are less prone to loosening up than 120V AC outlets.)

There are three types of power ssystems used on planes: This one, emPower (which is also DC but a different plug, used on UA among others), and household-type AC plugs.

The best solution is to get a "universal" power adapater (that supports all three) for your laptop, such as iGo Juice 70 (airline power systems limit you to about 75 watts typically, so if your laptop can't use the 70, you may have other issues besides the plug type!), and travel with that instead of with the power supply that came with your laptop.

(A universal power supply with swappable plugs will take a lot less space in your carryon than adding an adapter to your existing supply, since the nature of the "adapter" you'd need to add is an AC inverter, which is neither cheap nor small. Because the cigarette-lighter interface is DC and your existing laptop power supply is AC, you can't just use a plug adapter.)
Old Jul 14, 08, 3:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by PHL View Post
I use it all the time (The Apple adaptor) and experience ZERO battery drain. I use a Macbook, though. Maybe Macbook Pro's have a slight battery drain.
I had the same experience with my MacBook. But since I got a MacBook Pro, I have found that using the power port usually only slightly extends my battery life (even with brightness turned down).

Has anyone found a way of reducing battery drain when the the MacBook Pro is connected to the power port?
Old Jul 14, 08, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by nbevan View Post

Has anyone found a way of reducing battery drain when the the MacBook Pro is connected to the power port?
Yea, take out the battery,but should the airplane lose power somewhere in midflight you'll lose your work. But then again

really, the best way is to remove the battery. Once in a while, right before they push off the gate, the power will cycle. Probbably something to do with the engines turning on. As such your batteryless laptop will lose power. I've had that happen to me a few times.
My Compaq is power hungry so I have to remove the battery anyway. I've got an el cheapo cigarette lighter adapter I picked up at Pep Boys for 20 bucks. Works fantastic even in cars. Oh and if you take out the battery you can use the lappy to charge your BB or WM6 phone.
Old Oct 25, 08, 8:02 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
I had the same experience with my MacBook. But since I got a MacBook Pro, I have found that using the power port usually only slightly extends my battery life (even with brightness turned down).

My latest experience with the MacBook Pro 15" is:

1. On a recent 777 flight the Macbook Pro showed that battery status was retained while connected to the power port, but as soon as I disconnected the power port, the status went right down to what it would have been with just battery power. The same happened again when I switched to my spare battery. The Macbook Pro would not operate from the power port with the battery out.

2. Connecting to a second 777 flight, the charge I had managed to get in the lounge was retained with the power port connected.

There was no obvious difference between the two aircraft, so the only explanation that I can think of is that some aircraft deliver a higher current than others, which is sufficient for the MacBook Pro.
Old Oct 25, 08, 10:37 pm

Programs: Marriot Plat Elite, AA EXP, Nat Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post
I never had much success on the 737's getting them to work
One time the power port did not have the green LED lit so I reached under and found the wire leading from the box and felt a small molex connector that attached the box wire to the wire from the seat, unplugged it and plugged it back in and the light came on. I guess it only needed resetting. I am an electrical engineer that's why I thought of it. The ports only supply 75W from what I have read(maybe I should measure it) so large screen laptops will not charge but just run. I have read that some guy had to remove his battery so it would not try to charge then the jack worked to run the laptop.
Old Oct 25, 08, 10:43 pm

ok - this is going to be a very stupid question - i'm almost embarrassed to ask (esp being an exec plat) ... but where exactly are the power ports?? I often forget to look or don't need to use them, but the few times I have looked under the seat I've been unable to find them.
It is 15V DC from a cigarette lighter type jack which I have not seen on any other carrier. Most cigarette lighter adapters will take the 15V since cars put out 12+V. My Dell has the cig. light. plug that swaps with the AC plug on the power supply"brick" and I have used my cig. light. USB charger also.
Old Oct 25, 08, 10:51 pm

My latest experience with the MacBook Pro 15" is:

1. On a recent 777 flight the Macbook Pro showed that battery status was retained while connected to the power port, but as soon as I disconnected the power port, the status went right down to what it would have been with just battery power. The same happened again when I switched to my spare battery. The Macbook Pro would not operate from the power port with the battery out.

2. Connecting to a second 777 flight, the charge I had managed to get in the lounge was retained with the power port connected.

There was no obvious difference between the two aircraft, so the only explanation that I can think of is that some aircraft deliver a higher current than others, which is sufficient for the MacBook Pro.
What were your seat #'s. Maybe it was just enough voltage on the 2nd flight to run it and on the 1st flight you were farther from the generators so the voltage was just a little lower below the threshold that the computer needs. I have a frat bro who is a liason eng. on the 777 line in Everett. I should ask him, although all the seats and stuff are put in by someone else I think.
Old Oct 26, 08, 2:36 pm
BAK

Programs: AA/HH/SPG Gold
According to the reviews at the first link, the MagSafe is not really adequate for MacBook Pro. Especially on the AA planes, the battery still gets drained fast. Seems like, I will need to be packing a second battery.
Old Oct 26, 08, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
The solution to the problem is CO's new 737s they have a universal standard outlet and it provides plenty power for my c2d 15" full sized or my hp mininote

Search this Thread