Is AA the only US airline with power on almost all planes?

Old Jun 27, 08, 9:08 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platnium, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, IHG Embassador
Originally Posted by dstan View Post
Hope you sent that info to SeatGuru so that they can update their seatmap!

Edited to add: Are you saying that Version 1 is incorrect? Or just that you had Version 2?
I thought according to Seat Guru, AA was eliminating all version 1 763. I chose exit row seat 21H or 20H just for this purpose every time I fly on this plane to SA. I need the power to watch my DVDs. It's the onlt thing that saves me on this route. I flew on 12G last month on my GIG-MIA flight and it had no power port. The FA was nice to allow me to move to 11H where the power port was working and I'd notice that 10H was not working.
Old Jun 27, 08, 9:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2MM
I must agree that the power ports is a big reason why I prefer AA. Most of my flights are 3+ hours (usually cross country) and I love using the laptop the entire time to work, watch DVD's, or play games. Might be neat to play on the internet too someday since they just had the JFK-LAX test this week.
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:17 am
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
USAirways has power in all seats of the A330 (they own 9, used for transatlantic trips).

They have power in all seats of their "East" A319 and A320 aircraft. I say "East" because after the merger with America West, there are now "West" A319/A320's in the fleet that do not have power in any seat. It's hard to know if you're getting on one with or without power anymore since all the aircraft are integrated throughout the fleet.

None of their Boeings have power in any seat, with exception to the 767 where there are standard outlets in Envoy (business class).
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
yep, AA's powerport availability is the best out of the legacies.

But, I wish they've started installing AC ports instead so I wouldn't have to lug around my DC adapter. I guess I'm too spoiled?
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by NYC1K View Post
I thought according to Seat Guru, AA was eliminating all version 1 763.
Don't see where SeatGuru says or implies that.

(My prev post was incorrect on one point - v2 is also NGBC, not OGBC. Should have known since they've all been converted, but misread the rollovers).
Old Jun 27, 08, 11:10 am
jaf

Programs: AA (Exec Plat), UAL (Premier Exec), SPG (Platinum), Hyatt (Diamond), Marriott (Plat), Hertz (Prez)
ok - this is going to be a very stupid question - i'm almost embarrassed to ask (esp being an exec plat) ... but where exactly are the power ports?? I often forget to look or don't need to use them, but the few times I have looked under the seat I've been unable to find them.
Old Jun 27, 08, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by jaf
ok - this is going to be a very stupid question - i'm almost embarrassed to ask (esp being an exec plat) ... but where exactly are the power ports?? I often forget to look or don't need to use them, but the few times I have looked under the seat I've been unable to find them.
Follow the armrest down the front towards the floor. The power port is under the bottom edge of the seat. It has a plastic flap covering the DC power socket (same color as the small box, so sort of camoflaged), and usually has a small green LED light next to the socket indicating that it is live.

Steve
Old Jun 27, 08, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta, Amtrak
Originally Posted by jaf View Post
Don't be embarrassed, they aren't real easy to find.

The are located in an area under and between the seats you are occupying in economy. An easy way to think of it is they are almost behind your knee between the seats, below the armrest. They have a small cover over them. If they are working, you will see a small green light coming from the jack.

Also keep in mind, they aren't in every row. Most planes have them in the first 10 rows or so, the exit rows, and then every third row otherwise.

First has them in every row, and their is a jack for every occupant, as opposed to coach where you may have to share with your neighbor.
Old Jun 27, 08, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
yep, AA's powerport availability is the best out of the legacies.

But, I wish they've started installing AC ports instead so I wouldn't have to lug around my DC adapter. I guess I'm too spoiled?
Get one of these... $35 shipped. Lighter compared to the regular power adapters.
Old Jun 27, 08, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by riteshraja View Post
Get one of these... $35 shipped. Lighter compared to the regular power adapters.
Sweet! I can use this as my main power source since it comes with an AC plug as well. Thanks for the tip - just bought one right now!
Old Jun 27, 08, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (2.6+ MM), UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold.
Nice addition but...

As I spend most of my time in the back of the bus, the power port is a nice addition, and I travel with my trust Dell XPS-M1210, which is pretty small (12.1" screen). Even so, if the person in front reclines, and I have someone sitting next to me (so make that 99.99999% of the time) I cannot effectively type on the machine and cannot really angle the screen at a reasonable angle. Good for entertainment, crap for actually trying to do anything productive with in a regular coach seat.....
Old Jun 27, 08, 4:47 pm
PHL

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by kebosabi View Post
Or you could spoil yourself and get a MacBook. The airplane power adaptor is just a small cable with an adaptor for EmPower and lighter-style (like AA) plugs. No DC converter. The downside - it won't charge your MacBook while it's plugged in. Not a big deal for me since, when I get to my destination, I plug back into a regular power outlet.
Old Jun 27, 08, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont fly any other then AA for 99.9% of my travels. Recently I have had to take CO and UA for some segments and realized how good I have it on AA. Almost all flights I take have power whether its a MD80, 737, 757 etc on AA.

UA and CO dont seem to have power in Y even on their larger planes. Given all the talk about comparing AA vs UA vs CO this one thing on AA makes it over the top for me. Rather watch something on the laptop screen rather then a 2.5" ipod or iphone.
CO does have power outlets on many of the aircraft in the fleet--standard US sockets--at least down to the exit row. The widebody fleet is being retrofitted.
Old Jun 28, 08, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus
Great.. EBAY sent me a free shipping code that expires on Monday
They also sent me a 10 percent off (up to $100 in savings) recently.
Old Jun 28, 08, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by PHL View Post
Or you could spoil yourself and get a MacBook. The airplane power adaptor is just a small cable with an adaptor for EmPower and lighter-style (like AA) plugs. No DC converter. The downside - it won't charge your MacBook while it's plugged in. Not a big deal for me since, when I get to my destination, I plug back into a regular power outlet.
So with a Macbook, what do you need to connect to on-board power? Is it the same for all airlines?

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread