FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Ticketing Question- TIA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/838827-ticketing-question-tia.html)

Ross0 Jun 26, 2008 11:56 am

Ticketing Question- TIA

Alright- here’s a question for the board.

1) Friend has a fully refundable ticket from A-B today with a return from B-A tomorrow.
2) Friend has a non-refundable ticket from A-C on Sat. with a return from C-A on Mon 7/6.
3) Friend grabbed a cheap last minute fare (last seat) from B-C tomorrow night grabbing the same return from C-A on Mon 7/6. This ticket is on hold through tomorrow night.

The problem:
Friend would ideally like to buy option 3 and cancel the B-A return tomorrow and cancel the non-refundable ticket #2 and just apply that to another future flight. However, Friend will not know (depending on work schedule tomorrow) if he can take the C-A flight tomorrow night, until tomorrow. Unfortunately, at some point in the next 24 hours AA is likely to cancel #3 since AA will see him with a duplicate itinerary on C-A on Mon 7/6 (one ticketed, one on hold).

Any suggestions for what Friend can do in order to keep option #3 alive until tomorrow?

The easiest thing would’ve been if Friend selected a different C-A flight, but he didn’t and it’s too late now and the fair is gone.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Blumie Jun 26, 2008 12:01 pm

I don't think we can answer this question without knowing how fast and in which direction the train from Station B was traveling.

To avoid having duplicate reservations cancel each other out, your "friend" should not include his/her advantage number in one of the two reservations.

HNL Jun 26, 2008 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 9942719)
I don't think we can answer this question without knowing how fast and in which direction the train from Station B was traveling.

To avoid having duplicate reservations cancel each other out, your "friend" should not include his/her advantage number in one of the two reservations.

The trains will pass in El Paso

But to the OP - Remove the AAdvantage Number from the reservation and use a different email and phone number for the contact info. Then it will not be flagged as Duplicate and the hold should stay.

Ross0 Jun 26, 2008 12:05 pm

Yeah I told him not to put his #, but unfortunately he did and its too late, can't re-ticket now. Any other ways?

Thanks

HNL Jun 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Drats - that blumie edited his message to include the AAdvantage number info as I was responsing too. I'm moving slow today.

Blumie Jun 26, 2008 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 9942747)
Yeah I told him not to put his #, but unfortunately he did and its too late, can't re-ticket now. Any other ways?

Have him rebook the on hold reservation without his number.

Blumie Jun 26, 2008 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 9942752)
Drats - that blumie edited his message to include the AAdvantage number info as I was responsing too. I'm moving slow today.

Sorry! BTW, it's been a long time since I've had a duplicate reservation canceled after I made it. I've had aa.com refuse to make a duplicate reservation on many occasions, but once made, I don't recall the last time aa canceled them out on me.

Ross0 Jun 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 9942755)
Have him rebook the on hold reservation without his number.

He can't rebook, the fare is gone. If he could rebook he would just rebook and select a different return flight (he's flexible on that day).

I've had multiple itineraries canceled for being dupes.

Blumie Jun 26, 2008 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Ross0 (Post 9942896)
He can't rebook, the fare is gone. If he could rebook he would just rebook and select a different return flight (he's flexible on that day).

I've had multiple itineraries canceled for being dupes.

SOL

mvoight Jun 26, 2008 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by HNL (Post 9942732)
The trains will pass in El Paso

But to the OP - Remove the AAdvantage Number from the reservation and use a different email and phone number for the contact info. Then it will not be flagged as Duplicate and the hold should stay.

How do you remove an AA number from a res?
It doesn't look like aa.com will let you do this, and calling AA might make them suspicious

HNL Jun 26, 2008 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 9943250)
How do you remove an AA number from a res?
It doesn't look like aa.com will let you do this, and calling AA might make them suspicious

You're correct that aa.com does not provide for this. I thinking in terms of a) when booking the flight, remove the aadvantge number from the text box before saving/holding/purchasing the flight; b) call AA and have them remove the number. If one had concerns then have the agent replace it with a partner program number.

Ross0 Jun 26, 2008 3:18 pm

Right- too late to change it now online.

steve32 Jun 26, 2008 9:01 pm

Especially when I'm planning out a more complex MR, I'll routinely hold the reservations without logging in, so that I can grab what I see and have it waiting for me while I continue hunting for a better price/routing. I've had to cancel held reservations and then go back through the reservation list and "remove" them from the list because the list was getting too long and unwieldy.

I also routinely only hold reservations at first, and go away for at least a few hours while I think about it and clear my short-term memory. Then I come back and re-check all the details to make sure I got it right (by actually reading everything rather than my brain only half reading the details because I've spent the last however many hours looking at very similar itineraries) before pulling the trigger. I'll also often do another quickie search to see if something changed in my favor in the intervening time.

And when I do pull the trigger, I'll go back and cancel the other held reservations that I don't want to use to clear the inventory back for others to grab.

Then I'll add my FF #.

I've saved hundreds of dollars by being able to take later/better routings, and not losing the change fee on non-refundable tickets.

Steve