AA Miles question.

Old Jun 26, 08, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
AA Miles question.

Hi.. I am new to the forums, and also relatively new to flying. I have been reading the website for quiet a while, and just finished my platinum challenge, so first let me say, thank you to the website and everyone for helping me get that . So to my question, I called AA because I was unsure if I was allowed to fly my girlfriend to Seattle under my AA number, I was of course told no, not a big deal. I started flying for work in march (I now fly every week to the east coast) and have earned 70k miles, am I able to use those miles to pay for a ticket for my girlfriend to fly out with me when I am in Florida for a month, or is it the same as her using my AA number? (unable to use it for anyone but myself). Thanks again for everything! It is quiet nice flying with all of my co-workers who didn't take my advice, and seeing them get on-board with groups 5 and 6 (cause I'm mean :P) ).
Old Jun 26, 08, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Welcome to FT and congratulations on achieving PLT!

You can use your miles to buy an award ticket for anyone - family, friends, anyone you choose. What you cannot do is earn miles by adding your AAdvantage number to someone else's ticket (for obvious reasons).
Old Jun 26, 08, 10:58 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.05MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Starwood, a bit of Continental, a bit of this and that
Welcome to FT! And congrats on completing the challenge.

When you use your miles to procure a ticket for your girlfriend, she will be flying in her name and, if she has one, with her own AA number. You probably do know that award tickets do not accrue mileage. Be that as it may, I'd open up an AA account for her (or let her do it) and link her AA number to the ticket. Over the years I have found out that in case of an IRROP a segment of the original flight is sometimes rebooked and it will then accrue mileage--and your girlfriend (but not you) would earn miles.

I hope that answers your question.

Search this Thread