50K miles on Jan 2: Is it too late?

 
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:40 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Posts: 6,101
50K miles on Jan 2: Is it too late?

As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
aktchi is offline  
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:42 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: NYC, USA
Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 10,439
The current elite qualification year is Jan 1 through Dec 31, 2008.

I don't recall hearing about AA's being lenient about the dates.

If you don't think you will have sufficient miles by Dec 31, you should plan to fly more before that date.
ESpen36 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:43 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WAS - (BWI/DCA/IAD)
Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Posts: 3,086
I don't think there is an official policy but more on a case-by-case basis. It can't be too many miles from 12/31-1/2, so a quick run somewhere will ensure you make PLT.
777-DCA is offline  
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:44 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Posts: 928
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
The current elite qualification year is Jan 1 through Dec 31, 2008.

I don't recall hearing about AA's being lenient about the dates.

If you don't think you will have sufficient miles by Dec 31, you should plan to fly more before that date.

I do have a question along those lines. I tend to fly on Dec. 31 for a variety of reasons. Say I'm flying my last segments or miles on Dec. 31 to maintain status. What if say weather or mechanical reasons or no crew or whatever gets me stuck in an airport until Jan. 1. It's not my flight, it's AA or Mother Nature's. Would AA give ORC for making status or should I darn well make sure I've requalified before Dec. 31? thanks
zipadee is offline  
Old Jun 25, 08, 11:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: DFW; Allen, TX
Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Posts: 1,083
Originally Posted by zipadee View Post
I do have a question along those lines. I tend to fly on Dec. 31 for a variety of reasons. Say I'm flying my last segments or miles on Dec. 31 to maintain status. What if say weather or mechanical reasons or no crew or whatever gets me stuck in an airport until Jan. 1. It's not my flight, it's AA or Mother Nature's. Would AA give ORC for making status or should I darn well make sure I've requalified before Dec. 31? thanks
Don't leave it to chance... make a run between now and then.
atxtraveler is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:11 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Posts: 3,075
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
Why would there be a grace period and how would they handle it? If there were, would you be happy with the miles you fly on 1 and 2 January not counting toward next year's qualification, or would you expect to double dip?
Hagbard Viking is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:15 am
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Posts: 6,101
Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
Why would there be a grace perio...would you be happy with the miles you fly on 1 and 2 January not counting toward next year's qualification, or would you expect to double dip?
Good point, I wasn't thinking that far ahead.
aktchi is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:41 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: DC Metro (WAS--DCA/IAD/BWI)
Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Posts: 2,532
If one is planning on re-qualifying by a NRT-DFW flight late December 31st, you best be planning something else.

The leeway I've read about is within a couple hundred miles of re-qual come 11:59:59pm on Dec. 31st. Not thousands of miles for a flight several days later.

YMMV

Steve
steve32 is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:44 am
  #9  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,480
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
If one is planning on re-qualifying by a NRT-DFW flight late December 31st, you best be planning something else.

The leeway I've read about is within a couple hundred miles of re-qual come 11:59:59pm on Dec. 31st. Not thousands of miles for a flight several days later.

YMMV

Steve
I would fully expect, though, that in the case of IRROPS, they would extend the courtesy of counting the flight that was supposed to take place within the qualification year. I surely wouldn't count on it 100% though

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:19 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: WAS - (BWI/DCA/IAD)
Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Posts: 3,086
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
If one is planning on re-qualifying by a NRT-DFW flight late December 31st, you best be planning something else.

The leeway I've read about is within a couple hundred miles of re-qual come 11:59:59pm on Dec. 31st. Not thousands of miles for a flight several days later.

YMMV

Steve
Better to know you made PLT by making 1 extra run than hoping AA will be nice and cut you a break.
777-DCA is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:24 am
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 13,558
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
It's too late! If you want to guarantee status, you need to hit 50k by year's end; if the answere is no on January 2nd, there's no way to recover!
ContinentalFan is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 7:19 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: ORD
Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
Posts: 6,101
I think the answer is clear enough. Thanks for all replies!
aktchi is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:36 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: (insert city name here) hotel
Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Posts: 483
Jan 1 is too late so cram the last miles in beforehand. Now, if you're flying on 12-31 and there's a delay, etc. You might find a sympathetic rep that will assist you but don't count on it. If the 'bill' is due on 12.31, that means 12.31, not 1.1. On 1.1, you're late and it will be reflected accordingly.
purpleskiesfly is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:40 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 28,174
This may be a FlyerTalk record: The start of 'I'm not going to have enough miles by year-end' threads on June 26.
3Cforme is offline  
Old Jun 26, 08, 9:44 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SJC/VCE
Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Posts: 10,159
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
No such grace period. Furthermore, given the generosity of AADER I would find it particularly unlikely for AA to make an exception this year.
bdemaria is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread