50K miles on Jan 2: Is it too late?

Old Jun 25, 08, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (current EXP, occasional PLT, 0MM); UA; DL
50K miles on Jan 2: Is it too late?

As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
The current elite qualification year is Jan 1 through Dec 31, 2008.

I don't recall hearing about AA's being lenient about the dates.

If you don't think you will have sufficient miles by Dec 31, you should plan to fly more before that date.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
I don't think there is an official policy but more on a case-by-case basis. It can't be too many miles from 12/31-1/2, so a quick run somewhere will ensure you make PLT.
Old Jun 25, 08, 10:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ESpen36 View Post
The current elite qualification year is Jan 1 through Dec 31, 2008.

I don't recall hearing about AA's being lenient about the dates.

If you don't think you will have sufficient miles by Dec 31, you should plan to fly more before that date.

I do have a question along those lines. I tend to fly on Dec. 31 for a variety of reasons. Say I'm flying my last segments or miles on Dec. 31 to maintain status. What if say weather or mechanical reasons or no crew or whatever gets me stuck in an airport until Jan. 1. It's not my flight, it's AA or Mother Nature's. Would AA give ORC for making status or should I darn well make sure I've requalified before Dec. 31? thanks
Old Jun 25, 08, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by zipadee View Post
I do have a question along those lines. I tend to fly on Dec. 31 for a variety of reasons. Say I'm flying my last segments or miles on Dec. 31 to maintain status. What if say weather or mechanical reasons or no crew or whatever gets me stuck in an airport until Jan. 1. It's not my flight, it's AA or Mother Nature's. Would AA give ORC for making status or should I darn well make sure I've requalified before Dec. 31? thanks
Don't leave it to chance... make a run between now and then.
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:11 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
Originally Posted by aktchi View Post
As my trips are presently planned, I shall earn 50K miles by Jan 2. Is there usually a grace period in deciding the status, or is Jan 2 too late and I should cram in some extra miles before Dec 31? Thanks.
Why would there be a grace period and how would they handle it? If there were, would you be happy with the miles you fly on 1 and 2 January not counting toward next year's qualification, or would you expect to double dip?
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hagbard Viking View Post
Why would there be a grace perio...would you be happy with the miles you fly on 1 and 2 January not counting toward next year's qualification, or would you expect to double dip?
Good point, I wasn't thinking that far ahead.
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:41 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
If one is planning on re-qualifying by a NRT-DFW flight late December 31st, you best be planning something else.

The leeway I've read about is within a couple hundred miles of re-qual come 11:59:59pm on Dec. 31st. Not thousands of miles for a flight several days later.

YMMV

Steve
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post
If one is planning on re-qualifying by a NRT-DFW flight late December 31st, you best be planning something else.

The leeway I've read about is within a couple hundred miles of re-qual come 11:59:59pm on Dec. 31st. Not thousands of miles for a flight several days later.

YMMV

Steve
I would fully expect, though, that in the case of IRROPS, they would extend the courtesy of counting the flight that was supposed to take place within the qualification year. I surely wouldn't count on it 100% though

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:19 am

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by steve32 View Post

YMMV

Steve
Better to know you made PLT by making 1 extra run than hoping AA will be nice and cut you a break.
Old Jun 26, 08, 1:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's too late! If you want to guarantee status, you need to hit 50k by year's end; if the answere is no on January 2nd, there's no way to recover!
Old Jun 26, 08, 7:19 am
Original Poster

I think the answer is clear enough. Thanks for all replies!
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:36 am

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Jan 1 is too late so cram the last miles in beforehand. Now, if you're flying on 12-31 and there's a delay, etc. You might find a sympathetic rep that will assist you but don't count on it. If the 'bill' is due on 12.31, that means 12.31, not 1.1. On 1.1, you're late and it will be reflected accordingly.
Old Jun 26, 08, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
This may be a FlyerTalk record: The start of 'I'm not going to have enough miles by year-end' threads on June 26.
Old Jun 26, 08, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
No such grace period. Furthermore, given the generosity of AADER I would find it particularly unlikely for AA to make an exception this year.

Search this Thread