FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   90 minutes enough for ORD Int->Dom connection? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/838390-90-minutes-enough-ord-int-dom-connection.html)

NASATimp Jun 25, 2008 10:14 am

90 minutes enough for ORD Int->Dom connection?

This would be from AA99 (LHR-ORD) to AA1184 (ORD-EWR). The first flight lands at 10:20 AM; the second departs at 11:50 AM.

Thoughts?

HNL Jun 25, 2008 10:18 am

Originally Posted by NASATimp (Post 9936163)
This would be from AA99 (LHR-ORD) to AA1184 (ORD-EWR). The first flight lands at 10:20 AM; the second departs at 11:50 AM.

Thoughts?

Generally you'll be ok as there are not many international arrivals at that time. What cabin will you be sitting in on AA99? That will be the driver for how quickly you can clear immigration. If you have checked luggage there will be a wait for baggage reclaim and customs.

NASATimp Jun 25, 2008 10:26 am

Flying economy, and I will have two checked bags. US citizen, if that makes a difference (I am not sure if the US or non-US lines are faster for passport control).

HNL Jun 25, 2008 10:34 am

You *should* be ok with 90 minutes. There are separate US and Visitor lines. There are 2 big sections of stations. If your's look s super crowded look around the big wall in the middle of the hall and see if the other side is less busy/open.

billgrates3 Jun 25, 2008 10:40 am

the real problem is if your flight is delayed even by a few minutes, and that can easily happen on West bound flights with head wind conditions, or when AA takes a long time to get the bags to customs as they often do. I've missed connecting flights in JFK and LAX when coming from LHR when I had almost 2 hour layover time due to relatively small delays.
I've never connected in ORD, but I suspect there is a very long walk to customs and back to the gate, just like there is at LAX.

NASATimp Jun 25, 2008 10:55 am

In those situations does AA put you on the next flight?

I could just book the next flight anyway, but I have a night-before-the-wedding dinner (it has an elaborate Indian name that I forget) in NJ at 6pm, which is exactly when the next one arrives. No earlier flights from Heathrow, unfortunately.

3Cforme Jun 25, 2008 11:01 am

All are welcome to today's thread on minimum connect time.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...ting_Times_(AA)

One is placed on the next available flight in the class of ticketed service, with standby prioritization noted today in a whiny thread. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838163

Next available is not necessarily next.

NASATimp Jun 25, 2008 11:09 am

I did look at the minimum connect time guide linked above, but it didn't tell me much more than that 90 minutes was indeed the legal Int->Dom minimum for ORD.

I certainly can't complain about prioritization of service...I remember missing an early-morning LGA-ORD flight last year and seeing 20 names on the standby list and then watching mine pop to the top (only the first 3 names on the list got on the flight). I was PLT then and only GLD now, but still more of an advantage than plain vanilla I suppose.

Mark_T Jun 25, 2008 11:35 am

I did that transfer a couple of weeks ago.

Took me 40 mins from the time the door opened to me standing at the gate for the next flight and that included collecting bags.

Do remember you can drop the bags off again soon as you exit the customs hall as there is a conveyor belt on the left as you exit so you don't have to carry them with you to the domestic terminal.

Won't take much of an in flight delay or a longer queue at immigration and the ample 90 mins stars to feel a bit tighter.

NASATimp Jun 25, 2008 12:11 pm

I went for it--thanks for the advice, guys.

aktchi Jun 25, 2008 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by NASATimp (Post 9936780)
I went for it--thanks for the advice, guys.

Should be ok. Here's what you can do to improve the odds:

Immigration lines can fill up fast, so try to get there quickly. Try to sit near the front of the plane, get out as soon as possible, don't pause for washrooms etc. (go in the plane about 30-40 min before landing), walk as fast as you can to the immigration line.

After you pick up your bags, drop them with AA counter immediately after Customs, before leaving the terminal. If the doors open and you see people waiting for passengers, you've gone too far, so turn back!

Take the tram to Terminal 3 (a few minutes), then security.

benzguy80 Jun 25, 2008 1:26 pm

The time you described for this connection is IME doable, even if your flight is a few minutes late.

As the others have said, making haste once the seat belt sign goes out is key. There is a substantial amount of walking involved from the jetway to customs, then you'll need to drop bags and head directly for the tram to the other terminal (3).

I also suggest making sure all travelers in your party have the requisite paperwork filled out before landing and make sure they don't bring any food or other items that will require explanation at Customs.

Checking the Departures information on-the-run to make sure of your gate is advisable, of course.

good luck!

brp Jun 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80 (Post 9937181)

As the others have said, making haste once the seat belt sign goes out is key. There is a substantial amount of walking involved from the jetway to customs,

This is one of the big advantages of most immigration locations- the long distances involved. We're both in good shape and walk fast...usually bypassing many people in the process. The longer the better for us to avoid the lines ^

Cheers.

Mark_T Jun 25, 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by benzguy80 (Post 9937181)
Checking the Departures information on-the-run to make sure of your gate is advisable, of course.

I always register for the flight updates to my cell phone so I get the gate while still on the taxi in from landing.

I often find that changes hit my cell before they appear on the boards during IIROPS as well.