AA's Website Incorrectly Saving Acct Number?

Old Jun 23, 08, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (1MM)
AA's Website Incorrectly Saving Acct Number?

When I check my account balance on AA's website, I always un-check the "Remember my AAdvantage Number" box. The last few days, I have noticed that AA is automatically filling in this information when I come back to the website.

Has anyone else experienced this? Other than clearing out the browser history, is there any way to turn this unwanted feature off?
Old Jun 23, 08, 9:24 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Are you sure it's AA.com and not the Form Filler capability of your browser? I use firefox, and I do have it remember my number. However, when I log in to my wife's account, I turn off AA.com's Remember, and it never stores it. What browser are you using?

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 08, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Are you sure it's AA.com and not the Form Filler capability of your browser? I use firefox, and I do have it remember my number. However, when I log in to my wife's account, I turn off AA.com's Remember, and it never stores it. What browser are you using?

Cheers.
After my initial post in this thread:

I cleared out all of my internet history, files, etc. Then I went to AA.com, unchecked the "Remember Me" box, and logged in. I then logged out, closed my browser, and went back to AA.com. My account number is incorrectly saved on AA's website.

I have never used auto complete, and when I checked the status, none of the boxes are checked.
Old Jun 23, 08, 9:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle View Post
My account number is incorrectly saved on AA's website.
Well, it is certainly possible. Given that it doesn't happen uniformly (I have used FireFox as well as Internet Exploder on AC PCs), it is certainly not a consistent defect on the site. What did the Web Services people say?

Cheers.
Old Jun 23, 08, 9:35 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

click "logout" in the top nav. That will clear your aa.com cookies. See if that does the trick. If not, then I.m with brp that it's a browser issue rather than the aa website.
Old Jun 24, 08, 8:32 am

Programs: AA-PLT/2.37MM (PTD), HHonors, SPG
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle View Post
When I check my account balance on AA's website, I always un-check the "Remember my AAdvantage Number" box. The last few days, I have noticed that AA is automatically filling in this information when I come back to the website.

Has anyone else experienced this? Other than clearing out the browser history, is there any way to turn this unwanted feature off?
I experienced the same problem while checking my schedule at the DFW AC on Sunday. The previous visitor to the aa.com site had their AAdvantage number displayed on the log-in page so I made a point of unchecking the remember-me box when I logged in.

However, after logging off the site, my member number was still displayed. I unchecked the box, logged in, logged out again -- and it was still there.

I quit the browser, restarted it and went to aa.com. This time my member number was not displayed. I believe it's a glitch on the Web site but, given that it's a public computer, it's possible someone was bored enough to mess around with the browser settings.
Old Jun 24, 08, 9:01 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Alka View Post

I quit the browser, restarted it and went to aa.com. This time my member number was not displayed. I believe it's a glitch on the Web site but, given that it's a public computer, it's possible someone was bored enough to mess around with the browser settings.
Browser settings on the AC computers cannot be set by the user as it's admin only.

Cheers.
Old Jun 24, 08, 9:07 am
Original Poster

They apparently have added another step in the log out process. When you sign off, you get another screen that requires you to choose not to remember your AA account number. That was not a required step until recently.

Why AA chose to add this "feature", I have no idea.
Old Jun 24, 08, 9:15 am

The same thing happens to me. Even though I uncheck the box to save my AAdvantage number when I log in, it still remembers it. The only way to clear this out is to actually logout (which I never used to do seeing that we are talking about my own computer, not a public computer.) I suspect this change was part of the recent aa.com upgrade, and will likely trip up folks who use public machines. Not a smart move, and aa should switch this one back for security reasons....
Old Jun 24, 08, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, SPG Gold, MR Gold, HH Gold
I've noticed the same thing in the last couple of weeks. I always uncheck the "remember me" box, because I sign in with multiple numbers (I book travel for my entire family).

But recently, I've noticed that there is an additional step when logging out. Now, you have to click "Do not remember me" on the log out screen. Otherwise, your number will remain in the memory, even if you initially unchecked the box.

Who knows?!

Search this Thread