AA Checked Baggage at ORD - Security

Old Jun 23, 08, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

AA Checked Baggage at ORD - Security

This morning, about 0800, I checked in at Terminal 3 for an AA flight. Used the kiosk without a problem, telling it I was checking one bag. Most of the kiosks were full but not all - relatively busy but I've seen worse.

The agent called my name a minute later and I walked over to her with my bag. She put the tag on and told me to take it to the orange sign. Walked over there and got on that line. As there was a line, another agent walked over and directed about half of us over to the left and put our bags right onto a conveyor belt.

The issue is that no one along the way asked me for ID. At every other airport that I can remember in recent years has asked me for ID when checking a bag. But no one did this morning at O'Hare.

Slip-up or is O'Hare routinely like this? Exactly what is the TSA policy on checking ID when checking luggage.
Old Jun 23, 08, 2:39 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by exiled2tx View Post
The issue is that no one along the way asked me for ID.
The other day at LHR I checked in, checked a bag, went through security, went to the lounge, boarded my flight ... without showing any ID at any step along the way. Straange.
Slip-up ...
I think so.
Old Jun 23, 08, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriot Silver, Hertz #1Gold
Originally Posted by exiled2tx View Post

The agent called my name a minute later and I walked over to her with my bag. She put the tag on and told me to take it to the orange sign. Walked over there and got on that line. As there was a line, another agent walked over and directed about half of us over to the left and put our bags right onto a conveyor belt.

The issue is that no one along the way asked me for ID. At every other airport that I can remember in recent years has asked me for ID when checking a bag. But no one did this morning at O'Hare.

Slip-up or is O'Hare routinely like this? Exactly what is the TSA policy on checking ID when checking luggage.
From my last recollections at ORD, I don't ever remember being asked for ID when giving my bag to the X-ray people after it has been tagged. This goes for MIA, as well.
Old Jun 23, 08, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA (PLT/3MM/Admirals Club), AS (MVPG), UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors, Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by lial View Post
From my last recollections at ORD, I don't ever remember being asked for ID when giving my bag to the X-ray people after it has been tagged. This goes for MIA, as well.
Yes, but the AAgent should have asked for ID before attaching the tag to the bag. That's where the slip-up seems to have occurred.

Search this Thread