Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Excuse the Cart" at DFW (Dallas/Fort-Worth)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
"Excuse the Cart" at DFW (Dallas/Fort-Worth)

Anyone who transits DFW is familiar with the passenger service carts and the constant drone of the drivers: "Excuse the Cart Please".

Do you feel obligated to step aside for a cart? Why should a cart have more rights than people to occupy the common passageway?

I do not begrudge someone a cart ride. But a rider is surely NOT entitled to a speedier transit due to everyone else having to step aside. Driving through an empty passageway? Go as fast as you can! Driving through a crowded area? Go with the crowd, and wait your turn!

Why can't the cart travel with the flow of traffic, instead of demanding everyone to step aside? Here's a novel idea: carts should have to move aside and give passengers-on-foot the right-of-way!

Do you step aside for carts at DFW? I certainly don't. Whenever I hear "Excuse the cart", my reply is always "Nope ... excuse the pedestrian ... and wait your turn!".
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA - ExPlat 1MM Marriott - Platinum, Hertz - Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Why should a cart have more rights than people to occupy the common passageway?
The same reason why I give way to an 18 wheeler as I ride my motorcycle down the roadway...He's bigger than me and I really don't want to be roadkill.

Seriously, take a look at the people that are riding in the carts. In most cases, it is individuals who have earned the privelege to be there (read: Your Grandmother). Granted there are some that don't need to be on there, but just step to the side and go about your way. This is much ado about nothing.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Do you step aside for carts at DFW?
Yes. The ones I see are typically occupied by disabled or elderly passengers. I think they deserve the right of way, much like handicapped placards entitle one to preferential parking. The sooner they get to their gate, the sooner the cart will be available for someone else that may be in need.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:36 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
I don't have to be asked. I notice them before they're upon me and move aside willingly. I agree with those above who've noted that the folks in the carts have typically earned the ride. I've been offered rides on those carts as well, so clearly not all of the people deserve them...but most do

Cheers.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 10:48 pm

The same people riding the carts are the ones who need extra time boarding the plane. The faster they are at their intended gate, the faster they are boarded, and the faster we all push off. Of course not everyone deserves a ride on them, but there is a purpose, or more importantly a need for those carts to move about rapidly.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Why is it that DFW is the only airport with this phenomenon? They have always irritated me...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Well if you compare DFW to the UA hubs at DEN, ORD, and SFO, all of those have moving walkways that take the pedestrians out of the line of fire for the most part.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; DL Gold
Wow, that's hubris...
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
While the cart passenger might not be entitled to a speedier transit than other passengers, the driver might have something else to do than to creep along behind passengers on foot. Common courtesy dictates not blocking someone else's path. I am just glad that I am capable of walking easily between gates, and do not need the services of a cart and driver.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Why is it that DFW is the only airport with this phenomenon? They have always irritated me...
As I recall, London-Heathrow also has those carts. My Mom needed one, and my Dad and I were allowed on also. They forgot to install the speed governors on those things! They were flying down the hallways probably at 15mph or more--it was crazy. It did make up for the fact that we had to wait at the BA lounge for quite a while for it.

Steve
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:58 am
tt7

I guess SquareDanceGuy and I are in the minority.

It has nothing to do with whether the people on the cart have "earned it", or are "entitled to it" or "deserve it", as some would seem to suggest. Who is on the cart is utterly irrelevant. The only time this really is an issue is when the cart is coming from behind you and unless you make a habit of walking backwards, it's impossible to know who's on the cart.

If you see it coming towards you, then it makes sense to do your best to step aside. This is no different from having myriad people walking towards you where there's generally a collective effort on everybody's part to judge who's going to walk where and to set your line accordingly.

There are few things in life more irritating than being in the middle of trying to get from gate A to gate B and having some cart driver come up behind you and yell at you to get out of the way. Do I step aside - yes, I do. Does that mean I like doing that or feel I should - no, not really. It's not my fault the airport was poorly designed. If anybody is 'deserving' of the jointly occupied space, it is those who are walking, not those who are riding on the cart, whoever they may be. If I'm in your way, I'm sorry and I'll do my best to help by getting out of your way as soon as I realize you're there - but please don't come up behind me and start yelling at me to get out of the way.

This is an issue at many airports, not just DFW. The H and K concourses at ORD are another prime example.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 1:34 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Anyone who transits DFW is familiar with the passenger service carts and the constant drone of the drivers: "Excuse the Cart Please".
Transit on Continental through IAH just once. I promise, you will never complain about the (relatively non-existent, in comparison) carts at DFW.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS
I have seen carts at DFW, IAH, MIA(more limited than DFW/IAH but still have seen it several times for handicapped travelers having to make that long trek)
I don't think I have seen at others I have been, but mostly been hit and run at those airports with no time to observe.

Yes move out of the way, it is out of respect as much as anything else, if you were having to use a walker do you want people running over you because you are going slow?
Old Jun 23, 2008, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
DXB has this problem big time.

And I've never seen anyone old or disabled-looking on them. Just fat lazy arabs.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:23 am

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
When the carts are approahcing, I find the bright, flashing yellow light on the bottom front of most of the carts blinding.
I have a touch of photophobia and I have to block my line of sight with my hand, or look down, so I don't have a temporary loss of vision.
Some of DFW's carts have switched to a raised, less intense yellow light. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.