Save your CC receipts for BuyOnBoard when flying coach

Old Jun 21, 08, 11:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Save your CC receipts for BuyOnBoard when flying coach

Miles didn't post for last leg of trip. Request for mileage credit was denied, no record of me being on flight, GA and FA kept my boarding pass,

I faxed the receipts for buying wine on my credit card. They show the date and the to/from, in this case ORD/SAN. Bingo! About 5,200 miles! (1724 miles with AADER and Plat bonus)

There are times when a paper trail is a good thing. (Probably a good thing my upgrade didn't clear.)
Old Jun 22, 08, 12:39 am

Programs: AA EX PLT
brilliant.
i will always use my cc from now on.
Old Jun 22, 08, 1:00 am

Why not just ask for a refund/voucher for the ticket? WN missed me being on a flight and when I asked for the $$$ they miraculously found me on the flight.
Old Jun 22, 08, 5:59 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Hawk XPII View Post
Why not just ask for a refund/voucher for the ticket? WN missed me being on a flight and when I asked for the $$$ they miraculously found me on the flight.
Elegant in it's simplicity. Yet I see airlines saying that billing and frequent flyer programs are different units, and if billing can see that you flew, then no refund, and it's the frequent flyer program's issue for not posting.

Yet... still a good way to kick-start the process.

Steve B.
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
double brilliant

Originally Posted by spurg View Post
brilliant.
On the odd situation where I am in coach I do use my cc and save the receipts. I save all receipts. Even ones I find on the floor. Expense account!
Old Jun 22, 08, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hawk XPII View Post
For WN this may work... but remember with AA, if you miss a flight or do not board, they reserve the right to take your money and charge you as a no-show. If it is a refundable fare, you have to call in before your flight. In this case, you would be waiting the 7 days after the flight to see if your miles posted.

I like the credit card for food purchase plan better.
Old Jun 22, 08, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Total Rewards PLT, Starbucks GLD
[atxtraveler beat me to it...]

There's no way I'd let a GA or FA keep my BP - that is, if it differed from my PDFed OLCI BP.
Old Jun 22, 08, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Originally Posted by aamilesslave View Post
There's no way I'd let a GA or FA keep my BP - that is, if it differed from my PDFed OLCI BP.
The GA gave me back the whole boarding pass with the little stub torn off when the card reader wouldn't accept it (cardboard type issued 10 days earlier at beginning of international trip). I handed stub to FA upon discovering someone was already in my seat. She just wanted me in a seat, any seat, right now, and I wanted my exit row. She found me a seat and wandered off with the BP stub.

Anyway, the miles posted. If I'd been upgraded, which is what I thought happened when the card reader bounced out the BP, there would have been no drinks receipts, although presumably there would be a record of the upgrade. Maybe.

Worst case I suppose I could have disputed the charges with my CC company, since how could I be drinking on the ORD-SAN flight if AA says I wasn't on it. But it was really about the miles, as always.
Old Jun 22, 08, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by spurg View Post
brilliant.
Another good reason to always use a CC is that twice I have had the FA say the CC reader was not working (or she did not know how to use it) and just gave me my snack and/or drink gratis when I told her I had no cash (which I hardly ever do).It's been a while since this has happened so perhaps they have straightened this out.
Old Jun 22, 08, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
It's odd you had this problem. A few month ago, I was on a return flight from Minneapolis. My flight was delayed and an agent at MSP (Thank you, Jamie!) put me on a diverted flight. Since this was not a standard process, I did not get a boarding pass for this flight. A couple months later, I called AA and my flight miles were deposited.

Search this Thread