Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 People, Same Ticket Price, Different Tax?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
2 People, Same Ticket Price, Different Tax?

Recently I reserved 2 identical tickets on AA, sitting side-by-side in Economy. I am Plat, the other pax (my mom) has no status. I used a $300 voucher to pay for most of my ticket, we used a credit card to pay for everything else. It all happened in one phone call.

I just received the e-ticket confirmation, with this cost summary:
Me, fare $318.14, tax $43.36, total $361.50
Her, fare $318.14, tax $65.86, total $384.00

My guess is that the $22.50 difference in tax is related to my using a voucher (7.5% of $300 is $22.50).

Is that correct?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
From what I understand, this has something to do with the price of your ticket and the value of the voucher because the do not charge tax on tickets paid with vouchers (up to the voucher amount, of course). Are both flights connecting - $40 tax is a bit high?
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CO Gold
Yes, when you use certain types of vouchers, taxes get waived. Certainly the 7.5% federal excise tax. If the voucher is > than the ticket price, certain other taxes get waived as well. See the voucher FAQ thread for more discussion.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by badjuju
Are both flights connecting - $40 tax is a bit high?
AUS -> DFW -> ATL r/t

Thank you for the pointer to the Voucher FAQ, acf573!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.