777 J Seating Question

Old Jun 21, 08, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, UA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
777 J Seating Question

I have an upcoming flight on AA from DFW-NRT in J -- "C", really. My "company" doesn't allow us to buy tickets until nearly the last minute, and I just got upgraded from the wait list. Thus, only 13 A and J (last row of business, window seats over the wing) and all the middle seats are available.

Having only flown in the old business class, I don't know which would be better in the new one -- a middle seat, or a window at the rear of the business class cabin. Your opinions would be appreciated.

-z

Edit: meant to add that Seatguru suggests that the back row can be noisy due to the bassinet behind. No comments on Seatguru about the middle seats.

Last edited by zski1; Jun 21, 08 at 8:57 am Reason: seatguru comments
Old Jun 21, 08, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PLT
I would choose the window, seems like you have more room next to the window.
As far as the noise in the last row? Noise canceling headphones are great
Old Jun 21, 08, 9:45 am

under airport control are usually the 8 seats. I had 8H i think it was, aisle from dfw-nrt. it was like having my own little private area. get to airport early and see if u can snag it. if ur flying from another airport earlier in the day, see if they can do it for u, as it was done for me the day before (overnight connection in dfw) in FAT
Old Jun 21, 08, 11:40 am

The last row of business can be noisy due to little kids seated in the first row of coach. With a middle seat you have two people to bother for trips to the lav (or I guess 0.5 per trip but two to select from..)
Old Jun 21, 08, 11:56 am

Programs: AA 2MM
True that the last row of J gets a fair amount of noise from coach, but I, personally, would avoid a middle seat at all costs. Just comes down to more noise (Bose headphones, here), or a pax on either side of you.

Chanp's suggestions of asking for 8 H/J at airport is a good one.
Old Jun 21, 08, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
With either seat, you need to climb past/over your seatmate to get up. But with the middle, there's a better chance that one of the two will be awake when you need to get up.

That said, I'd probably take the window too, at least get the view.
Old Jun 21, 08, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I reserved a window and will hope to snag 8H or look for another seat to open up.

-z
Old Jun 21, 08, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by MDSD View Post

Chanp's suggestions of asking for 8 H/J at airport is a good one.
why thank u let us know how it goes! oh oh, if u like japanese food, remember FEBO and/or pre order the japanese meal option before hand, i loved it. there are a limited amount of japanese meals aboard. also, tell us what u think of the AC and dont forget u can get into the sakura lounge and get a free massage on the way home

Last edited by chanp; Jun 21, 08 at 10:28 pm Reason: lounges
Old Jun 22, 08, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chanp View Post
why thank u let us know how it goes! oh oh, if u like japanese food, remember FEBO and/or pre order the japanese meal option before hand, i loved it. there are a limited amount of japanese meals aboard. also, tell us what u think of the AC and dont forget u can get into the sakura lounge and get a free massage on the way home
thanks, i will have to look into pre-ordering a meal.

the return won't be for awhile, and may not be on AA, so don't hold your breath for a reply! on the other hand, i have a 5 hr layover in NRT so maybe I will check out both the AC and sakura lounge.

-z
Old Jun 22, 08, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
I was surprised FEBO was not mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:17 am
Original Poster

I'm sure that everyone was holding their breath for an update <sarcasm off>, but a couple more J seats opened up. I had a choice between 10A and 11D; I took 11D for now; the window would be nice but I'd rather avoid vaulting over the person next to me. Called and got a Japanese meal, can't wait for the trip!

thanks for all your help.

-z
Old Jun 24, 08, 7:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The aft J cabin is very close to the engines, and aftmost seats close to the babies at Y bulkheads; noise cancelling is really helpful. As to seatmates, well, that is the luck of the draw. Bon voyage!

Originally Posted by zski1 View Post
I'm sure that everyone was holding their breath for an update <sarcasm off>, but a couple more J seats opened up. I had a choice between 10A and 11D; I took 11D for now; the window would be nice but I'd rather avoid vaulting over the person next to me. Called and got a Japanese meal, can't wait for the trip!

thanks for all your help.

-z
Old Jun 25, 08, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Hmm - at nearly the last minute (I leave tomorrow), 8J (window on the row with only 2 seats) is open. I have 11D (aisle in mid-cabin). is there any room to maneuver at the bulkhead if the person in the aisle is sleeping, or would I still have to vault? FEBO should not be an issue, as I ordered a Japanese meal. Currently, there is no one assigned to 11E...

-z
Old Jun 25, 08, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA PLT (MR Gld; Hertz PC), AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT GLD, GP Plt, Mets fan.
Hmm - at nearly the last minute (I leave tomorrow), 8J (window on the row with only 2 seats) is open. I have 11D (aisle in mid-cabin). is there any room to maneuver at the bulkhead if the person in the aisle is sleeping, or would I still have to vault? FEBO should not be an issue, as I ordered a Japanese meal. Currently, there is no one assigned to 11E...

-z
there's no edge to the bulkhead row window seats re climbing over the aisle seat (same space, due to NGBC seat design, in all rows). Assume that if the flight is so full someone will take 11E; go by how you plan to spend the flight -- if you're going to sleep most of it, take 8J; if you're going to be awake, 11D.
Old Jun 26, 08, 12:31 pm

Go with the aisle

-z
You will not like 8J...cramped, dark, and tough to pass your flying partner in 8H. Even if someone is assigned 11E you will not notice them assuming you are flying one of the 28 (out of 42) 777s that have been upgraded to the new J seats.

Search this Thread