Wiki Posts
Search

The Quality of FAs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by tt7
I guess you've never encountered the galley curtains drawn and a handwritten note pinned to them saying "Do not enter"? Even I was taken aback by that one (at the rear galley on a JFK-LHR flight).
I've seen a similar note on an int'l flight- but on the curtains around the row 17 crew rest seats - and I don't see a problem w/it. There are pax that don't understand that FAs do get a break on long flight.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by clarkef
I respectfully disagree. I never understood the logic of judging folks by their attire but that's a side point. As the airlines are so fond of telling us, their responsibility is to get us from point A to point B. Period. The mystique and magic has long since gone out of air travel. It is nearly commoditized and to suggest that one needs to dress up for air travel is outdated at best.

If dressing up for air travel is a value of yours than great. Although I know many people who would sneer at the notion that jeans are ever presentable attire for out in public. But that's the rub. We all take what we do as a baseline for appropriate.

Personally, I much prefer to dress defensively, particularly when traveling domestically. I figure I want to clear TSA as soon as possible out of respect for my fellow travelers (to me that's more caring about others then my attire). Slip on shoes, no lace-ups, and no jackets or blazers, all of which hinder and slow our procession through TSA. Moreover, should there be a delay or other irregular ops (my parents flights from the VI was cancelled today), I want comfortable clothing that I can be delayed in without be an pain to others.
And I respectfully disagree with you. Read it again.

I DID NOT say I judge people by what they wear, only that what one wears can send a message about how you regard the person or situation you are encountering.

I DID NOT say I "dress up" for travel, nor did I say I consider jeans to be "dressed up". I DID say I make an effort to be presentable and that I consider my travel outfits to be relatively casual.

I DID NOT say or imply that I or anyone should dress in a manner that will slow down transit times during security--just how long does it take you to remove a blazer and put it in the bin, anyway?

Finally, I DID NOT say anything about the "magic of air travel"...very few people who've traveled as much as most of us here have any such silly illusions.

Now I suppose you'll come back and parse all of the above into things you disagree with...don't bother--I'm off this thread.

cheers!
Old Jun 23, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by bdemaria
I've seen a similar note on an int'l flight- but on the curtains around the row 17 crew rest seats - and I don't see a problem w/it. There are pax that don't understand that FAs do get a break on long flight.

Yes, but all too often F/As on US airlines will close those same galley curtains and hide behind them the entire flight - while on break or not. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a midnight galley crasher, but on the foreign carriers I've traveled on, they seem much more receptive to interacting with their pax than do US carriers.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
I have noticed that when people dress up, they have a special sense of Pride with them...kids behave better, adults are a little more mannered than the ones who are just in shirts/jeans. Of course it's not to say that all 'casual' pax are rude and inconsiderate, but it's just an observation that I have seen. Just like I'm sure a pax can tell the difference in service from a FA who properly wears their uniform during the flight from one who doesn't have their blouse shirt buttoned all the way up, or a male not wearing his tie.
Interesting observation. I'll pay a bit more attention to observe for that. Though with the flip-flops/sandels, that's at least partly TSA's fault as they hassle you less through security if you are wearing those.

I typically dress in khaki slacks and either a button-down shirt or a golf shirt (collar, and two of the three buttons of the V closed), and plain black or plain white Nike air sole shoes (had them custom made from the website so they didn't have a bunch of different colors across them). Sometimes I also wear my lightweight khaki photo combat vest, to carry as much as another small carry-on, and shed it once I'm at my seat.

Steve
Old Jun 23, 2008, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SWA Rapid Rewards, Alaska Air Mileage Plan, AAdvantage, CX Marco Polo
Originally Posted by steve32
Interesting observation. I'll pay a bit more attention to observe for that. Though with the flip-flops/sandels, that's at least partly TSA's fault as they hassle you less through security if you are wearing those.

I typically dress in khaki slacks and either a button-down shirt or a golf shirt (collar, and two of the three buttons of the V closed), and plain black or plain white Nike air sole shoes (had them custom made from the website so they didn't have a bunch of different colors across them). Sometimes I also wear my lightweight khaki photo combat vest, to carry as much as another small carry-on, and shed it once I'm at my seat.

Steve
As for flip-flops/sandals - I would go in favor of closed shoes on board a flight for a couple of reasons 1) in case you have to evacuate a flight in an emergency, they're probably better 2) if you have horrible looking, scaly feet (like me). The female SQ F/As now change to more sensible shoes from their sandals for safety reasons, IIRC.

I, too, am a believer in dressing appropriately, which means that even if I'm casually dressed, I look neat and presentable. After all, you are in public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.