Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Quality of FAs

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:21 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I have to say that I had my first disappointing experience in quite a while yesterday with an AE FA. I happened to be first in line and catering was still onboard finishing up, so I and everyone else waited patiently outside the doorway. Caterer came out and so I stuck my head in and politely inquired "Set?", to which the FA gave me an annoyed and condescending sounding "Not yeh-et". Caterer even told us we could go in. More patient waiting, then the FA finally told us we could board - no greeting/welcome. OK, fine, the guy's having a bad day - we've all been there.

But when the elderly couple next to me began asking, politely, for info on a possible misconnect (the flight was delayed), the FA was very short with them, telling them they should have seen the GA outside. Of course, that's correct, but I did my best to offer them some advice about their LGA connection and he could have easily done the same. On deplaning, they again asked, very politely, if perhaps someone could call ahead to their connecting flight, and the FA was again curt, telling them to see the GA, then giving an exasperated "Sheesh!" (or "God!", don't remember which) after they'd passed. In retrospect, I thought it was pretty unprofessional.

Again, I realize that we all have bad days, and that FAs are onboard primarily for our safety, but the bottom line is that the couple was polite, if worried and uninformed, and the FA could have been much more helpful and patient with them. I'm posting because I'm debating whether or not it'd be worth it to email CR about this, as sluggo suggested, or just chalk it up to one isolated mediocre experience among many excellent and outstanding others. Happy to hear thoughts, flames, etc.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Just came back from STX via SJU. We were able to upgrade our party of four--what a nice bonus. ^ The two FAs in Business were, unfortunately, the exception to the generally outstanding service that we've received over the past year or two as EXP/PLT. Not to go into any details, but one of the two FAs (the Purser, no less) started to snap at my wife when the first drinks were offered. More problems later. Seriously, we are easy-going folks who don't feel "entitled." Any upgrade is truly a bonus, as said above. That particular FA had no business being on that flight, in that position, on that day. Maybe a comment she made that we overheard toward the end of the flight sums it all up: "I can't wait to get off this flight--I'm just ready to go home." Well, we all have jobs, and maybe some folks are better at doing them well all the time than others. If you don't like your work, maybe it is time to look at alternatives.

I'm looking forward to my next outstanding FAs, and I truly appreciate them. Today's team: Poor.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
However, as pointed out earlier, the 80's FA is gone, through no fault of their own. But alas, so has the 80's passenger.

Sweat suits vs suits. T-shirts vs shirts. Flip flops vs shoes. Shorts vs pants. Shorts vs dresses. Rude slogan/designer(?) t-shirts vs ties. IPOD vs hats (yes, hats AND gloves). A sense of entitlement vs a sense of wonder. Move it vs excuse me. Attitude vs adventure.

Perhaps respect should go both ways.
Clothing attire has nothing to do with attitude; it's a preference and should not be used to gauge a person's behavior. They simply have to be clean.

And respect should go both ways. I've seen rude passengers and I've seen rude flight attendants. One of the most irritating was on an overnight flight where the FAs did not seem to care there were sleeping passengers - nothing but loud conversations, cackling, you name it.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 3mm Plat
Passengers may change. But they are the customers. FAs are being paid. Passengers are paying.

This is not to excuse attitude on the part of a passenger. A rude customer is a rude customer ... still to be dealt with in a precise and professional way.

There is absolutely NO excuse for FA's generalizing from one customer to the next, not even having a bad day.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: My opinions are not those of AA or any affiliates of AMR Corp.
Originally Posted by Teacher49
There is absolutely NO excuse for FA's generalizing from one customer to the next, not even having a bad day.
and....There is absolutely NO excuse for PAX generalizing from one FA to the next, not even having a bad day...

Treat someone as you would expect to be treated yourself. When you give respect, you will receive respect.

You walk into a department store with a terrible attitude, more times than none, you will receive terrible attitude, even when they are trying their best not to bring their attitude down to your level. paying customer or not.

Is throwing around your Elite status, or making comments that you're the 'paying' customer suppose to make one do better? I can guarantee that no matter what industry you go into, when you throw attitude like that at the employee, you will not get better service. Sure, things will get done, but not at the quality that it could have been.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sluggoaafa
and....There is absolutely NO excuse for PAX generalizing from one FA to the next, not even having a bad day...

Treat someone as you would expect to be treated yourself. When you give respect, you will receive respect.

You walk into a department store with a terrible attitude, more times than none, you will receive terrible attitude, even when they are trying their best not to bring their attitude down to your level. paying customer or not.

Is throwing around your Elite status, or making comments that you're the 'paying' customer suppose to make one do better? I can guarantee that no matter what industry you go into, when you throw attitude like that at the employee, you will not get better service. Sure, things will get done, but not at the quality that it could have been.
I think we all understand this. Our problem is when we are not rude, when we are respectful, and then we still get a ration of attitude from the FA. Perhaps the FA had a problem with another passenger, another crewmember, or just a bad day generally, but that does not excuse the FA taking it out on us. A professional would not do so, and I think most AA FAs do not do so most of the time, but if it is happening enough to cause comment in this group (which is, after all, AA's biggest fans) it is a substantial problem.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Like the OP, I too did JFK-LAS-JFK in F this week. Outbound on Tuesday and inbound today, Saturday. The FA's on both flights were great, friendly and courteous. Overall service was very professional. Cabins were full on both flights. Sorry to hear about the OP's experience.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I think it is a bad start when you hear more than once from the FAs that they are there primarily for your safety bla bla bla... I think it is implied that they are there for safety. In these tough times for the airline industry it will be the service that sets companies apart. In comparison to their foreign competition, the US airlines are seriously lacking.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM HHonors Diamond
In my 50+ segments so far this year on AA, poor service has been the rare exception.
Old Jun 21, 2008, 9:09 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, NW WorldPerks, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gemac
I think we all understand this. Our problem is when we are not rude, when we are respectful, and then we still get a ration of attitude from the FA. Perhaps the FA had a problem with another passenger, another crewmember, or just a bad day generally, but that does not excuse the FA taking it out on us. A professional would not do so, and I think most AA FAs do not do so most of the time, but if it is happening enough to cause comment in this group (which is, after all, AA's biggest fans) it is a substantial problem.
Very well stated... my gripe would be with FAs who are actively rude, much more so than inattentive or absent FAs. And, I can only think of one minor instance in my 100 segments on AA over the last year+ where I thought an FA was rude to a passenger in an unprovoked way. IME, the vast majority are professional and pleasant (and hopefully good in an emergency... but I don't want to find out!).
Old Jun 22, 2008, 6:41 am

Programs: EXP AA 5.7MM, Diamond HHonors, a bit of Marriott, a bit of United, a bit of this and that
Originally Posted by diaspora04
In my 50+ segments so far this year on AA, poor service has been the rare exception.
And it is those rare (and unfortunate) exceptions that pretty much most posters in this thread alluded to, myself included. Overall, the quality of service has gone up over the past few years, I think, but the "exceptions" are what customers remember much more often and thus their memories will quite often become negative ambassadors.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 7:40 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by badjuju
Clothing attire has nothing to do with attitude; it's a preference and should not be used to gauge a person's behavior. They simply have to be clean.
Unfortunately, I find that when I wear a T-shirt on a plane, I typically get treated worse by the FA than if I am wearing business attire. Maybe it is becuse I am still in my 20s and look young. But unfortunately you do get judged on what you wear by FA's, in my experience.

It's gotten to the point with me that I always wear a 'button-up' collared shirt when I fly, especially if it is First Class, just so I don't get treated poorly. I have actually gotten used to 'dressing up' for my flights now, and kind of enjoy it, but the reason I started doing it is unfortunate.

And I would like to point out I always try to be friendly & respectful with the FA (taking off earphones when talking, please thank you, etc), and am not a demanding person
Old Jun 22, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by badjuju

And respect should go both ways. I've seen rude passengers and I've seen rude flight attendants. One of the most irritating was on an overnight flight where the FAs did not seem to care there were sleeping passengers - nothing but loud conversations, cackling, you name it.
I think you're quite wrong, and that many here would say so as well.

How you present yourself very much projects an attitude, intended or not. Dressed sloppily, you're sending a message that you don't have much regard for your surroundings or those in it (in the context of a public place v. your home, for instance)--this is not really a good first impression to give those who will serve you during a flight.

I typically wear chinos or nice jeans (unfaded and without holes) with a long-sleeve button up dress shirt and lightweight blazer--this is quite comfortable and also presentable. I find that I'm also usually better dressed than most others in F, which is sad considering that I'm ralatively casual when traveling (v. a suit and tie).

As to the OP's point, I couldn't attest to the difference between "then" and now...I wasn't flying "then"!

cheers!
Old Jun 22, 2008, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Unfortunately, I find that when I wear a T-shirt on a plane, I typically get treated worse by the FA than if I am wearing business attire. Maybe it is becuse I am still in my 20s and look young. But unfortunately you do get judged on what you wear by FA's, in my experience.

It's gotten to the point with me that I always wear a 'button-up' collared shirt when I fly, especially if it is First Class, just so I don't get treated poorly. I have actually gotten used to 'dressing up' for my flights now, and kind of enjoy it, but the reason I started doing it is unfortunate.

And I would like to point out I always try to be friendly & respectful with the FA (taking off earphones when talking, please thank you, etc), and am not a demanding person

Yes, there are bad FAs and bad passengers. There will always be both. It is what it is. FAs are not all alike in their attitude but we ARE all alike in our LOVE of the well dressed passenger.

Take it how you will but we (FAs) love it when someone is sartorially splendid. We comment about our passengers ALL the time. It's just what we do. If there's a jerk from minute 1 he/she is well known to all the FAs and cockpit in about 5 minutes flat after the mouths start running and the interphone system starts getting used to relay the info.
When someone is well dressed and gives us a nice jacket or coat we usually parade it through the galley to the tune of "check THIS out". When you are well dressed you stand out to us.

I can do a quick walk down the aisle from first to coach on the 777 and tell you all the people who look sloppy, appear drunk, are good looking, and well dressed, without having stopped moving.

I've had FAs coming up from coach walk through the cabin really fast and say "hey that guy/girl in 6A looks great".

People reading is fun. We definitely like you better from the get go if you look like you care about yourself. It might be shallow, but that's how it is. Dress like you're going to a rock fight and we'll be talking about you.....just not the same way.
Old Jun 22, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, WN RR
Is throwing around your Elite status, or making comments that you're the 'paying' customer suppose to make one do better?
Um, yes. When I'm paying you to perform a service, I do expect you to recognize that fact and to put forth an effort. I think you may have just unwittingly illustrated an attitude among some AAgents that's been described here by some.

I do realize not all FAs are surly and rude. But then, I just got off two circuits (BNA-ORD-ICT r/t) with real gems of FAs. As a status customer who booked these flights months ago, I was able to secure exit row both legs. For the record, I happen to have a fair amount of emergency training and I do consider myself able to perform the roles typically required of exit row pax.

On the first flight, as my husband was turning off his cell phone per the pilot's directions, the FA snapped at him to "stop texting and answer her questions". The FA on the return flight scolded me in a nasty tone for not stopping her midsentence to tell her I couldn't understand her - due to the screaming children in rows directly ahead of and behind me and the air jets blowing loudly over my head - and for making her repeat herself. Then she scolded me again for not making sufficient eye contact with her, even though I had demonstrably read the requested materials and answered security questions in the affirmative.

As the baggage agent retrieved my gatechecked 22" rollaboard on the first segment, she told me I "needed to stop packing dead bodies in my luggage" in a surly tone. Excuse me? If this is someone unable to lift a 20-lb suitcase without lecturing the person paying her to do it, perhaps she needs to find a new assignment.

Right now I'm stranded in Chicago, having had my flight back to BNA unceremoniously cancelled without any warning or explanation and having been hung up on twice by the staffers on the Gold Elite AA 800 number - and I have to tell you, it may be a while before I book another flight on American. (Having had enough difficulty with AA, I bailed on the second segment of my return trip and have taken a rental car to another airport to return home via a competing airline.) This was a r/t reward ticket trip and the service has been unforgettable. Just wish I meant that as a positive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.