FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Is it possible to combine family accounts (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/836719-possible-combine-family-accounts.html)

Dirk1609 Jun 20, 2008 1:14 pm

Is it possible to combine family accounts

We have two accounts with AA and both have miles in them. We are no longer using one at all, our effort to combine, and want to move over the 20,000 + miles before they expire. I know SPG allows you to combine or transfer the points, any way to do the same with AA?

Thank you

milksheikh Jun 20, 2008 1:30 pm

If they are in the same name, yes. But my guess from the title is no.

CO FF Jun 20, 2008 2:10 pm

It's possible to xfer miles from one account to another -- but it requires payment of a fee to AA. Details are on aa.com of course...http://www.aa.com/aa/i18nForward.do?...asingMiles.jsp

SanDiego1K Jun 20, 2008 3:31 pm

You can pay $25 and move AA miles to Hilton at a ratio of 2 Hilton points for 1 AA mile. 40K Hilton points gets you a night at any of their top hotels, other than the handful in the Waldorf collection.

hull22 Jun 20, 2008 4:02 pm

I don't see why AA would let you combine accounts for free when they offer mileage transfer to friends and family for a fee.

3Cforme Jun 20, 2008 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by hull22 (Post 9913527)
I don't see why AA would let you combine accounts for free when they offer mileage transfer to friends and family for a fee.

AA does this as a convenience for those members who 'by mistake' happened to open a 2nd AAdvantage account in their name.

giggy Jun 20, 2008 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K (Post 9913405)
You can pay $25 and move AA miles to Hilton at a ratio of 2 Hilton points for 1 AA mile. 40K Hilton points gets you a night at any of their top hotels, other than the handful in the Waldorf collection.

Then you could pay another $25 and transfer the Hilton points back to your AA acct. :D

TheBeerHunter Jun 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by giggy (Post 9913663)
Then you could pay another $25 and transfer the Hilton points back to your AA acct. :D

So -- by transferring to Hilton and then back to an Aadvantage account, one could circumvent the more substantial fees involved in transferring miles between accounts? And perhaps also get around the annual cap of miles? Or have they been smart enough to not allow this?

jridge Jun 20, 2008 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by TheBeerHunter (Post 9913856)
So -- by transferring to Hilton and then back to an Aadvantage account, one could circumvent the more substantial fees involved in transferring miles between accounts? And perhaps also get around the annual cap of miles? Or have they been smart enough to not allow this?

You can do it, but your miles are severely devalued in the process. In other words, you end up with fewer total AA miles than you started with.

deant Jun 20, 2008 7:49 pm

As jridge said, you could do this but at a significant devaluation. For example, 100,000 AA miles would become 200,000 HHonors points. You could then transfer them back to AA and get about 30,000 miles.

Good way to devalue your miles by 70%. Plus pay the minor transfer fees.

mvoight Jun 20, 2008 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 9913640)
AA does this as a convenience for those members who 'by mistake' happened to open a 2nd AAdvantage account in their name.

But, the OP appears to be trying to combine accounts from multiple people.

leroix Aug 8, 2008 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 9913640)

Has anyone actually done this before? I see in the AAdvantage FAQ on AA.com that you can have multiple acct's with the same name and address combined-- What I want to know, is if the lifetime total miles of the two accounts add together. So if I had 100k LT miles in account A and 50k LT miles in account B-- I merge B into A-- Will my new account A lifetime miles show 150k?

Gandhi90s Aug 8, 2008 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by leroix (Post 10174195)
Has anyone actually done this before? I see in the AAdvantage FAQ on AA.com that you can have multiple acct's with the same name and address combined-- What I want to know, is if the lifetime total miles of the two accounts add together. So if I had 100k LT miles in account A and 50k LT miles in account B-- I merge B into A-- Will my new account A lifetime miles show 150k?

In general, yes (unless fraud is suspected).

JDiver Aug 8, 2008 9:46 pm

Purchased miles, flown miles, bonus miles, dining miles - all miles transferred into your account - count for lifetime status. Even miles taken on from assimilated airlines - e.g. TWA. As Gandhi90s says, unless...

As to combining two people's accounts as per the OP, it might be better, in terms of mileage devaluation, to accumulate 5,000 more miles in the one with 20k sitting there in peril of extinction and then use them to purchase an award ticket, or something like that.

Originally Posted by leroix (Post 10174195)

mvoight Aug 9, 2008 2:06 am

Originally Posted by deant (Post 9914331)
As jridge said, you could do this but at a significant devaluation. For example, 100,000 AA miles would become 200,000 HHonors points. You could then transfer them back to AA and get about 30,000 miles.

Good way to devalue your miles by 70%. Plus pay the minor transfer fees.

Huh? Isn't it 5 HH points for 1 AA mile?
So, that would be 40K miles at the end, correct?

Or is it realy 6:1 now?