Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MSNBC.com columnist bashes elites, airlines, flyertalk

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

MSNBC.com columnist bashes elites, airlines, flyertalk

MODS, I apologize if this belongs in another forum.

This Christopher Elliott fellow certainly seems to have it out for elite status programs, and even throws a little jab directly at flyertalk:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25192959/

Lots of DYKWIA going around, I guess.

Last edited by millions; Jun 16, 2008 at 6:26 pm
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Hm.....
First, it’s the way airlines today are adding amenities to their premium cabins while quietly removing basic services from their economy-class sections.

Adding amenities? I guess he hasn't flown a domestic premium cabin recently. If he had, he would be shocked with the food service we get these days (compared to the mid 90s).

Now, I don't fly Y much anymore (except on Eagle), but I would think that folks like the fact that they can buy a halfway decent sandwich on longer flights, instead of being stuck with lousy airline food.

Come to think of it, it seems that people complain less about "lousy airline food" when the airlines don't serve complimentary food domestically (even to/from Hawaii). I would bet that AA has had a dramatic decline in the number of customer complaints about the food, since AA serves food on so few routes nowadays.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:15 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Seems pretty reasonable and accurate to me. He has taken a few cases and tried to make them general rules...but there really is a lot of DYKWIA around. We've all seen it.

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
I wonder if the columnist is an elite with some airline. Does he check-in in the economy line? Does he deny an upgrade? Does he not use the elite security line?

It's stupid to think that airlines should not reward their best flying customers. Yes, there are some elites that think they are God. But these people do not represent the entire group.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Wow this is very surprising coming from Chris Elliott. I typically read his articles and find them to be helpful and insightful. This completely changed my view of him.

Chris, I thought you were fair and unbiased in your travel reviews, but apparently you are just a clown. Why don't you quote THAT in your next article?

You say that elites are ruining air travel, but then all you do is talk about the actions of a few idiotic travelers. Great way to stereotype there. I'm not THE most seasoned traveler out there but, I've never come across anyone acting the way you talk about in the article. I'm sure it happens, but it's pretty rare.

And what exactly is wrong with a company rewarding their top travelers who already have given them a good amount of revenue? Does this not happen in other industries?

Airlines cutting down on food and other amenities in coach? Please, give me a freaking break. Study after study has shown that passengers are WILLING to pay less for their ticket and give up things like food in exchange. In essense, with everything that airlines are doing with regards to meals and fees are just market responses to consumers preferences and demands. Sure, let an airline feed every single passenger gourmet dinner and charge more for tickets in exchange. I'm sure that won't run them out of business pretty fast. It's an airplane, not a banquet. If you want food, bring a sandwich with you and eat it. Or, pay the extra $$$ and fly up front.

Why don't you do a little more thinking before you write something as illogical and unfounded as this?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:42 pm

Wow, this has to be one of the worst pieces of journalism regarding the airline industry.

So, this buffoon makes a case that Elites are destroying the airlines yet his points center around Naomi Campbell (which has no correlation to elite behavior, heck she might not even be elite on anything), a German passenger op-uping himself, and a group of Pakastani passengers in FC who complained about sitting on the tarmac.

Last, what does the fact there is food, booze, and 1 bathroom in FC for 12 people have to do with elites???? I thought he wrote at the beginning that most people understand FC, but wasn't his article about elites?

Bravo Chris Elliott. Bravo.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, United Silver, National Exec
I'm sorry but I find this article to be ridiculous. This guy is just trying to stir up the pot.

The vast majority of airline travelers are occasional fliers. For those of us who fly a lot and pay the airlines a substantial portion of their revenues and a majority of their profits, I think it's only fair that we be afforded a few extra perks like occasional upgrades and expedited boarding.

For those who pay for First Class, well more power to them. It's clear that the airlines are hurting; when passengers are willing to pay 10 times or more the average fare for a little more space and a mediocre meal, more power to em! Much like the rest of the world, the "haves" pay for a lot more than the "have nots". If they stop paying the big ticket prices you can be assured that the cost for the occasional traveler will go even higher.

Sure there are occasions when passengers misbehave. Kind of like life in general. I certainly don't think that this bad behavior can be associated only with forward cabin "elite" travelers. I've seen plenty of less-than-appropriate manners in the back end of a plane.

My two cents...
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 8 MM; Hilton Diamond
I am sure this columnist is looking forward to his first airplane flight.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Not really about AA, and (as the OP suspected) already being discussed at greater length in these two threads in Newsstand (the first moved from TravelBuzz):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835137
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=835092
Old Jun 16, 2008, 7:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by ESpen36
Hm.....

Adding amenities? I guess he hasn't flown a domestic premium cabin recently. If he had, he would be shocked with the food service we get these days (compared to the mid 90s).

Well, let's be fair. AA did add about four diced dried pineapple cubes to the warm nut mix in F on the Hawai'i runs this year. ^^^
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
I have to agree that that was a pahetic excuse for an article.

I'm just a "lowly" Platinum, and rarely even try for an upgrade to First Class (though when I have tried, I have a very good record of achieving it).

Everyone knows that there is no food served in Coach, except for expensive snacks. There are plenty of restaurants in the terminals in which to buy food, and the GAs and FAs have no problem at all with people bringing it on board with them to eat.

I do that plenty of times--have to with the tight connections I usually have on my mileage runs. I also bring a bag or two of snack food, and some fruit. My carry-on also has a side pocket for carrying a bottle of something--TSA has no problem with the empty bottle going through their security, and again, GAs and FAs have no problem with the bottle being full of water from a terminal water fountain for me to work on while I'm waiting for the drink cart to make it's way to me.

Everyone knows what it's going to be like in coach, so it's up to themselves to be pro-active and bring what they feel will help make it better for themselves. Those who don't, too bad for them.

Steve
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Well, let's be fair. AA did add about four diced dried pineapple cubes to the warm nut mix in F on the Hawai'i runs this year. ^^^
That's true. I really like the "tropical mixed nuts." I wish they served those special nuts on Caribbean routes.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyupfront

For those of us who fly a lot and pay the airlines a substantial portion of their revenues and a majority of their profits, I think it's only fair that we be afforded a few extra perks like occasional upgrades and expedited boarding.
Profits...? Haven't seen much of that lately...

Originally Posted by steve32

Everyone knows what it's going to be like in coach, so it's up to themselves to be pro-active and bring what they feel will help make it better for themselves. Those who don't, too bad for them.
Used to be that proactive meant that you brought along some sandwiches, a blanket and a pillow on a long car trip in case you broke down to make things bearable while you waited to be rescued. Nowadays, you have to bring along some sandwiches, a blanket and a pillow just to survive a trip in coach.

Guess that's what they call progress.

Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, *wd gold
whoa!

Who stepped on his Gucci loafers in the jetbridge when he was trying to think of a story to fill his column?
Old Jun 16, 2008, 8:41 pm
BLG

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA Lifetime Blue, Marriott Gold, and many others
Originally Posted by ESpen36
That's true. I really like the "tropical mixed nuts." I wish they served those special nuts on Caribbean routes.
I've worked in the media world all my life. Trust me -- there is no business on earth where status is more defined by where you sit on the plane. The fact that he tells us that he sits in the back is his own admission that he has no status whatsoever within his own company. My guess is that he's jealous of those he works with who ride up front. I'm actually surprised that he admitted his lack of work status in public!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.