Wiki Posts
Search

Prices lower today?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, Marriott GLD, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Prices lower today?

I was wondering if anyone else has noticed prices a bit lower today. I've been watching a MIA - DCA midweek flight in August for a few weeks now, and it always hoovered at the $300-$350 range. Checked today and it was $198 + tax. Also checked a MIA - LAS flight in November that has been around $400-$425. Today its a little over $300. Is it just flights out of MIA? Has anyone else noticed this? Just curious.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
ive been looking at europe and asia, still the same or higher
Old Jun 13, 2008, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Probably just Revenue Management doing their jobs, prices and availability in different buckets can and do change quite often if you watch specific dates and routes close enough.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 11:02 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
On any given day some prices will go down. Interestingly, some will go up, and some will stay the same. Happens every day.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I agree, not a very uncommon occurrence. But I was watching some tickets for SAN-BOS all week for some family to come out to visit, and they came down pretty substantially overnight (some lower fare classes were opened up). Perhaps a bit odd that it should happen on a Friday, though.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by brenc3
I agree, not a very uncommon occurrence. But I was watching some tickets for SAN-BOS all week for some family to come out to visit, and they came down pretty substantially overnight (some lower fare classes were opened up). Perhaps a bit odd that it should happen on a Friday, though.
There's nothing odd at all about it happening on Friday. The Revenue Management forcasting model and optimizations happen on a nightly basis 7 days a week. You're entering the 30-60 day booking window for domestic flights so adustments are being made in response to expected demand.

This does not sound at all like a fare structure decrease, rather the lower fare avaiablity is opening up.

Not suprising. Airline bookings are starting to drop off from August onward. The economy, the fare increases, etc are starting to be seen in the demand for air travel. Demand held up well the first half of the year, but is softening in the 2nd half of the year.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by cyncyn129
It always hoovered at the $300-$350 range.
You could really clean up at that fare.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 3:49 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
You could really clean up at that fare.
Well, nature does abhor a joke vacuum...or is that vacuum joke?

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.