Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whither the A300s?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Count me in - I've flown in all of AA's and AE's current fleet except for the A300s. Doesn't do much when A300s doesn't fly to the West Coast
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Count me in - I've flown in all of AA's and AE's current fleet except for the A300s. Doesn't do much when A300s doesn't fly to the West Coast
They use to be used on Transcon's.
U are not missing anything
Old Jul 16, 2008, 7:53 am

better hurry up- thye are all gone next year from the fleet, announced today
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by eireman
better hurry up- thye are all gone next year from the fleet, announced today
I'll pass .
Old Jul 16, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
I'll pass .
In their current state, you haven't missed a thing. Just read a report that yesterday, on the walkaround inspection at JFK, the FO found a leak in a wheel well causing the plane to be taken out of service and a six hour flight delay. This is about par for the A300.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kappa
In their current state, you haven't missed a thing. Just read a report that yesterday, on the walkaround inspection at JFK, the FO found a leak in a wheel well causing the plane to be taken out of service and a six hour flight delay. This is about par for the A300.
I've been on 12 A300 flights in the past 12 months

6 were on time
2 were delayed by 5+ hours for mechanical issues
4 were delayed 1-2 hours for mechanical issues

However it's still a nice ride and beats any of the narrowbodies. There are definately running jokes in BOG, SJU, and MIA about trying to avoid AB6 flights but I schedule them on purpose to enjoy them while they last.

There are a few AB6s that have the LCD monitors instead of the old CRTs - these planes are much nicer and are just as nice as any AA aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by JDiver
You are all wrong! AA is going to refurbish this beauty (photo link) and this one (photo link) for it's "fly AA, feel the history" campaign.

(I've actually flown in the latter model when a restored one in AA markings was being flown in the US, an Buchanan Field, Concord CA in the late 1960s - fuel gauges are housed on pods on each engine - makes for interesting fuel monitoring.)

I once flew NW and got to experience the end of an era, it was an ORD-MSP flight on NW right arround 9/11 and I look out and see a 727, get on, old style Bins, etc. Well the Captain announces that its the last flight of the plane in NW livery, its going out of service when we get to MSP. They gave free drinks in Y (did not effect me I was in F) to celebrate. A nice touch.

The last 6 years has really been the end of an era. 727, dc-10, L-1011, and in the next year the last 733/5 and 300s. Only a few dc-9s and MD-80s will be left. Everything I flew on as a kid in the early 70s will be gone.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 4:07 pm

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
*Takes a deep breath*
One of my primary concerns when choosing an airline.It is the type of aircraft they fly for a given route.You always try to have the best if possible.As you know being based in Caracas doesn't give much of an option.But well since the pleasure of going to vacations in US is greater than my fear for the Repairbus.So here i am;trying so hard to choose,i got the AB6 for 3 and half hours.AA flies with the 757 too.But because i am making connections in US and the schedule,that's what Ive got.

You just have to hope for the best^.At least i am getting a 738 on my connecting flight.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 5:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Repairbus! ^ A gem, should be immortalized as a fly in amber.

The name certainly fits, with moman's 5:5 experiences.

Originally Posted by mvtm
*Takes a deep breath*
<snip>But well since the pleasure of going to vacations in US is greater than my fear for the Repairbus. <snip>

You just have to hope for the best^.At least i am getting a 738 on my connecting flight.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 6:58 pm

AA has now taken 3 A-300s out of service--#s 55,56, and 78. The last A300 left the fleet on 8/20 and is stored along with her sister ships at ROW. The first one had the following statistics TT 53,688 (total time in hours) and TC 20989 (total cycles--i.e. a take off and a landing). One of the ways the age of an airplane is evaluated is with these two statistics, and compared to other aircraft, this is a rather young (adult) aircraft. NW recently has sent a 747 to the desert that had about TT of 110,000 hours and some DC 9s with TT up to 105,000 hours: when structural tests were performed on the DC-9, the fuselage was found to be solid for over 200,000 hours. Here is the URL for the planes AA and other carriers that have changed owners:
http://www.airwaysmag.com/att.html?t...=145&junk=.pdf

However I heard from an AA captain that this first A-300 that was retire had some structual damage that required large amounts of $$$ to fix.

I never have liked the A-300s, in part because of the low ratio of first class seats to coach seats (i.e. the ease of getting an upgrade). Nor have I liked the first class cabin.
Old Aug 26, 2008, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I'll miss them if only because I was almost guaranteed to get at a mininum 4,000 extra miles for each flight flown. One time, unsolicited I got 10,000 miles for a 4.5 hour delay while at the gate. The FA's were very liberal with the booze on the ground that day (it was a flight to MBJ).
Old Aug 26, 2008, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by spin88
Fuel usage? This is a TEXAS airline, saving fuel is un american...
When I read that, this thread is what immediately your quote reminds me of.

As for the A300's, I spent this summer and the summer of 2007 buying up as many advance-purchase $150 r/t JFK-MIA econ tickets just to earn extra miles ... I just hope that I can do this again next summer. :-)
Old Aug 27, 2008, 12:48 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by spin88

Only a few dc-9s and MD-80s will be left. Everything I flew on as a kid in the early 70s will be gone.
Alas, there's still more than a few MD-80s left out there
Old Aug 27, 2008, 8:03 am

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by ty97
Alas, there's still more than a few MD-80s left out there
But nobody was flying on MD-80s in the early 70s.
Old Aug 27, 2008, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Going to miss the A300

I have flown the A300 from JFK, EWR, MIA, and SJU a bunch of times. Even had to take it from EWR to LHR. I have had my fair share of delayed/cancelled A300 flights. I still like the A300 F cabin better than the 757 or 738. Also, the oversized middle overhead bins can fit pretty much any bag. I'll take a widebody over a narrowbody any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.