Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whither the A300s?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2008, 4:31 am

AA has now taken the second of the MD-80s out of service this month, as N297AA has followed N400AA to ROW on 6/18/08. Still all the A300s are in the active fleet.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:22 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ESpen36
I suspect that pretty quickly, the remaining AB6s will be deployed to SDQ and SJO pretty much exclusively to haul t-shirts and other cAArgo up from CAFTA-DR factories.

I agree with the earlier comment--there are simply too many seats on the AB6 for AA to sell the seats profitably. The average passenger on an AB6 pays hundreds of dollars less than the average passenger on an ERJ.
A300's will be retired from the SDQ station soon. SDQ-JFK route is now operated with 763s and SDQ-MIA will be completely 757s.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Thanks for the updates - can anyone say if these flights tend to be manned out of the SJU crew base - if they still have one donw there. it is years since I went there on AA.
The only crew base in SJU is for Eagle. If there was an AA mainline base, I was never aware of it. The flight from JFK-SJU will be flown most likely by a JFK international based crew.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:54 pm
asl

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by davidthomson
They have got to make you laugh!!! These planes have turned out to be the biggest maintenance hogs in history. They really are pieces of crap. Just check out AAs record MIA-BOG Rt over this year and see how many delays and cancellations there have been. It is ludicrous.
Lest we forget that it was an A300 that went down in Queens (NYC borough) in 2001. From what I remember hearing, while the fault wasn't with design of the plane, allegations were that aircraft's rudder/tail-fin controls were calibrated in such a manner that it exacerbated the pilots efforts to combat the wake turbulence.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:57 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Grief! How old are those A300s? Air France were operating them in 1974 as memory serves. They have practically vanished from the skies of Europe as they are from a very different era.
I see A300's at many airports ... even here in MCI almost every time I'm there. Most of them are in FedEx and UPS livery and many are actually quite new.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, IC RA, HH Gold
Originally Posted by asl
Lest we forget that it was an A300 that went down in Queens (NYC borough) in 2001. From what I remember hearing, while the fault wasn't with design of the plane, allegations were that aircraft's rudder/tail-fin controls were calibrated in such a manner that it exacerbated the pilots efforts to combat the wake turbulence.
I spoke with an air traffic controller who works at JFK. AA 591's flight path was above that of the JAL 747 ahead and was not a factor in the crash.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 7:22 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by HNL
The A300s are gone completely from MIA-MCO too.
You sure about that? I just booked MIA-MCO for 02 Sep and the seat map was showing an A300. A chance to fly that aircraft is part of the reason for my circuitous routing of MEX-MIA-MCO-DFW.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
having taken the crown from NW...

having taken the crown for old fuel hog AC from NW, AA is going to keep the A300s and all of the md80s and park the 777s. why look at a new fleet when you can have the oldest in the sky... Fuel usage? This is a TEXAS airline, saving fuel is un american...

you guys are just not thinking right here... look at the ads "fly AA, feel the history." AA can run...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:37 am

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
A300 - a “maintenance mess” and “overtime machine”

Originally Posted by AAJetMan
You sure about that? I just booked MIA-MCO for 02 Sep and the seat map was showing an A300. A chance to fly that aircraft is part of the reason for my circuitous routing of MEX-MIA-MCO-DFW.
Hard to believe that someone with your miles hasn't flown the A300. When it was new I used to love it for its seating. But now I absolutely refuse to fly it.

The flights on which it is used are by far the worst system-wide for long delays and frequent cancellations The stories I hear from AMT at JFK and MIA about their condition leave me shaken. They call it a “maintenance mess”, but also the “overtime machine”.

I can never forget AA 587. The A300 cannot go soon enough for me!
Old Jul 15, 2008, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
In the long run, the A300-600s will probably converted to freighters and disposed of to a freight operator / air courier (e.g. UPS currently operates 67 A300-600s.)

I doubt they will join their MD-80 brethren and sistren* at RIAC (photo link.)

(*Yes, I am having a bit of fun with the language and am aware there is no such word; thank you.)

Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
AA has now taken the second of the MD-80s out of service this month, as N297AA has followed N400AA to ROW on 6/18/08. Still all the A300s are in the active fleet.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You are all wrong! AA is going to refurbish this beauty (photo link) and this one (photo link) for it's "fly AA, feel the history" campaign.

(I've actually flown in the latter model when a restored one in AA markings was being flown in the US, an Buchanan Field, Concord CA in the late 1960s - fuel gauges are housed on pods on each engine - makes for interesting fuel monitoring.)

Originally Posted by spin88
having taken the crown for old fuel hog AC from NW, AA is going to keep the A300s and all of the md80s and park the 777s. why look at a new fleet when you can have the oldest in the sky... Fuel usage? This is a TEXAS airline, saving fuel is un american...

you guys are just not thinking right here... look at the ads "fly AA, feel the history." AA can run...
Old Jul 15, 2008, 11:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
Are they going to ressurect the original FAs for this as well?
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
Originally Posted by kappa
Hard to believe that someone with your miles hasn't flown the A300. When it was new I used to love it for its seating. But now I absolutely refuse to fly it.
When you're based out of DFW, which doesn't fly the AB6, it's quite easy to rack up miles and never fly it.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 1:51 pm

Programs: PLAT -- 2.7Million
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
When you're based out of DFW, which doesn't fly the AB6, it's quite easy to rack up miles and never fly it.
Exactly.
I'm going out of my way (mex-mia-mco-dfw) to catch a ride on a domestic wide -- the A300, albeit a brief ride.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by KD5MDK
Same here. Never been on an AB6 or a 762.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.