Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:29 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by hillrider
Apparently they stopped the service (according to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-thread-2.html ; I should have--but didn't--check)
Bummer. That thread is indeed more recently updated than my most recent visit to DEL.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by theblakefish
I know that the 2 local Sheraton properties offer transport, but does the Le Meriden?
LeMeridien generally charges for transport. Charging for transport is something also generally done by the other Starwood properties in and around DEL although there are some exceptions most of which are specific rate-affiliated inclusions of free transport in one or both directions.
Old May 12, 2009, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Just got off my second (and final) ORD-DEL run. A few things worth noting:

Once again, the customs agent in DEL was slower than molasses. Then, he decided that I didn't look like my passport picture, so he called another customs agent in on the act. The other agent agreed. I told him that it was me and he needed to just return the passport to me. He did. Later on, I met a woman in line at the gate who had the same issue.

The lounge is still a pit. They are still doing construction on it, meaning that it is smaller than usual.

While boarding, the GA boarded Groups 1 and 2, after which he boarded J and F. Since I had no luggage, I wasn't particularly concerned with overhead space, but it would have been nice to get on the plane and settle in.

Mike
Old May 12, 2009, 7:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by mikeef
While boarding, the GA boarded Groups 1 and 2, after which he boarded J and F. Since I had no luggage, I wasn't particularly concerned with overhead space, but it would have been nice to get on the plane and settle in.
Do you mean he actually boarded Groups 1 and 2 first or did he just start them down the jetway for the AA security process, with J/F ultimately boarding the aircraft first? If the former, then that would certainly be a new twist!
Old May 12, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: United Milage Plus, Sky Team
Originally Posted by dstan
Do you mean he actually boarded Groups 1 and 2 first or did he just start them down the jetway for the AA security process, with J/F ultimately boarding the aircraft first? If the former, then that would certainly be a new twist!

Probably the former. As that is what happened to me.
Old May 13, 2009, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I went through DEL, they "boarded" J/F last. They processed gate "security" for everyone else first, who found themselves stuck in a jetway for a while which was quite hot as the A/C had broken down. J/F was called last but was allowed to board first, bypassing everyone standing in the jetway. Given the circumstances, it was outstanding service.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

He actually boarded them first, which got them to the jetbridge security and on the plane first. None of us in line had ever seen that before.

Mike
Old May 13, 2009, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by hillrider
When I went through DEL, they "boarded" J/F last. They processed gate "security" for everyone else first, who found themselves stuck in a jetway for a while which was quite hot as the A/C had broken down. J/F was called last but was allowed to board first, bypassing everyone standing in the jetway. Given the circumstances, it was outstanding service.
Me, too. That seems like the standard protocol at DEL.

It does sound like mikeef's experience was, indeed, different and quite contrary to the way things are supposed to work. Unless there was some delay in prepping the J and F cabins, perhaps someone just forgot to stop Groups 1 and 2 at the end of the jetway.
Old May 13, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA2, DL2, Amtrak2, US2, SPG1, MAR2
Me, too. That seems like the standard protocol at DEL.

It does sound like mikeef's experience was, indeed, different and quite contrary to the way things are supposed to work. Unless there was some delay in prepping the J and F cabins, perhaps someone just forgot to stop Groups 1 and 2 at the end of the jetway.
On my return from DEL in J on 5/1 we went through the gate last, but I did not see anyone (i.e. coach passengers) in or around the jetway as I went through security and boarded. But I did see some in the coach section of the plane when I boarded...though not a lot.
Old May 13, 2009, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA, HH Gold, SPG Gold, blah blah blah
He actually boarded them first, which got them to the jetbridge security and on the plane first. None of us in line had ever seen that before.

Mike
I was with Mike on this flight, even had a chance to chat a couple words with him

It was a little bit of both actually --- by the time we boarded there was already a long line inside the jetbridge as they padding down everyone again, but they opened new tables for the First/Business pax and we could go from there. But yes, as Mike said many of the group 1/2 pax were already on the plane.
Old May 13, 2009, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by wndrer73
I was with Mike on this flight, even had a chance to chat a couple words with him

It was a little bit of both actually --- by the time we boarded there was already a long line inside the jetbridge as they padding down everyone again, but they opened new tables for the First/Business pax and we could go from there. But yes, as Mike said many of the group 1/2 pax were already on the plane.
I'd suggest shooting an email to Customer Relations to inquire what the proper protocol should be. Perhaps some 'retraining' is required at DEL regarding who is supposed to board first (as opposed to who enters the jetway first).

The published order is F/J, then EXP, then PLT, then the remainder of Priority AAccess, then the remaining Groups:
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...ityaaccess.jsp
Old May 15, 2009, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wndrer73

Nice to meet you!

Mike
Old May 15, 2009, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suggest shooting an email to Customer Relations to inquire what the proper protocol should be. Perhaps some 'retraining' is required at DEL regarding who is supposed to board first (as opposed to who enters the jetway first).

The published order is F/J, then EXP, then PLT, then the remainder of Priority AAccess, then the remaining Groups:
http://www.aa.com/aa/pubcontent/en_U...ityaaccess.jsp
A few of us up at the gate were chatting about it, and we figured that there were so many people in coach that they decided to get coach moving and would start separate lines for F and J once they were partway through coach. It never works out that way, of course, since everyone simply goes to the next available desk.

This was my third trip to DEL in the past few years and my second in a month, and I've just decided that the best way to deal with it is to go with the flow (which is very difficult for me, since I am an anal SOB). I've given up on trying to figure out this airport.

Mike
Old May 15, 2009, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
I was on AA293 ex DEL on May 11 in J, they just asked all PAX with Priority Access on their BP to board first and rest is same as others mentioned...long line on jetbridge fr secondary patdown and then divided in two lanes further down the bridge, Gen Boarding/Priority Access.
I did a quick turnaround 05/09-05/11. Left ORD on time and landed almost an hr ahead of sch on May 10th, cleared Health Desk prior to immigration in 2 min, Immigration in a jiffy and proceeded to Radio Cab beyond customs, paid INR 200(~$4) for cab to Radisson Hotel. There I ordered a nice sandwich/tea and freshen up a bit/changed in restroom. Took the Black Yellow can INR150 (~$3) about 10:15 pm IST and at airport in 10 min. Checked in no time and proceeded to what they call a Lounge. No questions asked at immigration desk. Landed at ORD 20 min late due to late dep from DEL, weight issues, had to unload some cargo. No questions asked by CBP at ORD.

In order to be fresh, I took a shower at ORD prior to boarding for DEL (05/09) and then again on return(05/11)

So a quick turnaround to DEL for a pure MR is OK as long as you have low expectations, sturdy butt, good deodrant/cologne and you already have an Indian VISA, else getting a VISA will add to the cost(~$65-150) of MR.
In all the whole trip was ~$905( including parking/cab fare/hotel food) for 37398 EQM (DFW-SNA-ORD-DEL-ORD-DFW)
If anybody needs any more info, feel free to PM
Old May 15, 2009, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP

This was my third trip to DEL in the past few years and my second in a month, and I've just decided that the best way to deal with it is to go with the flow (which is very difficult for me, since I am an anal SOB). I've given up on trying to figure out this airport.

Mike
I believe I was on the same return flight from DEL after spending a week in DEL, BLR and BOM.

This was my first visit to India but based on my experience the "go with the flow" model can be applied throughout the country, not just to DEL airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.