Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by danimal96
I am guessing it is a long-shot, but just curious...
From what I have heard, it seems to be a really long shot. Maybe someone here can check data and validate that.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 5:26 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by danimal96
I'm wondering if anyone has ever had an op-up on AA 292/293? I am AA Platinum, and will be traveling in paid J on Sunday 4-Dec. Has anyone ever been bumped into F? I am guessing it is a long-shot, but just curious...
Less likely if J continues to be as wide open as it is right now on your flight. My guess would be ultimately extremely unlikely. But I did see there is availability in First for upgrade. If there was ever a flight that was worth it to upgrade -- it's this one.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by dieswaytoofast
I'll be doing this (ORD -> DEL -> BLR; AA -> 9W; Biz. to DEL, Coach to BLR) on Oct. 11th, and this does bring up a couple of questions

1) I assume that they will check my bag through to BLR now (no need for the overnight chaos). Correct?

2) How does the luggage work in DEL? Pick it up at baggage claim, exit customs and immigration, and then
* Is there a transit desk that I can drop the bag off at?
* Do I have to go to the domestic checkin section?
* If so, do I need to exit the terminal at any point? (and go through the chaos of standing in line to get back in?)

3) Do I line up with everyone else at security (a-la most U.S. airports)? Or, is there a separate line/section for international arrivals (a-la Heathrow. well, kinda)

4) The connection time in BLR is now 2:10 (1745 to 1955). Assuming no fog (big if. *big* if!), is that enough time?

The point to all of the above is that I either check a bag or just carry-on. I usually just carry-on, but this is a bit of a weird trip, and it would just make my life easier to check (sigh)

Does anyone have answers to these questions? I will be doing ORD-DEL-HYD next week (domestic on 9W) and am wondering if it is a good idea to check a bag.

Thanks.

VF
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
I suppose its a long shot but is there a F lounge at DEL?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by VillageFlyer
Does anyone have answers to these questions? I will be doing ORD-DEL-HYD next week (domestic on 9W) and am wondering if it is a good idea to check a bag.

Thanks.

VF

Here are my answers to the best of my ability (I do this route 4-5 times a year and just finished one a couple of weeks ago)

1) I assume that they will check my bag through to BLR now (no need for the overnight chaos). Correct?

If there is a connecting flight available, they will issue you baggage tags all the way to BLR or HYD but you still need to do customs here.
2) How does the luggage work in DEL? Pick it up at baggage claim, exit customs and immigration, and then YES
* Is there a transit desk that I can drop the bag off at? NO
* Do I have to go to the domestic checkin section? YES
* If so, do I need to exit the terminal at any point? (and go through the chaos of standing in line to get back in?)
You will only have to exit the terminal if your connecting flight is not in Terminal 3. Typically the budget carriers are in other terminals

3) Do I line up with everyone else at security (a-la most U.S. airports)? Or, is there a separate line/section for international arrivals (a-la Heathrow. well, kinda With Everyone Else
Old Dec 3, 2011, 11:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by psyflyer
There is a Kingfisher First lounge (not long for this world sadly) that serves as both a F and J lounge

The beverages offered, along with free wifi and food are on par with F lounges. The decor is Lady Gaga

The size of the lounge is small

There are showers available
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dieswaytoofast
I'll be doing this (ORD -> DEL -> BLR; AA -> 9W; Biz. to DEL, Coach to BLR) on Oct. 11th, and this does bring up a couple of questions

I just flew ORD - DEL - BOM. In Delhi I had to pick up my luggage after Immigration and clear customs, which was a beeze. My connecting flight on 9W left from the same terminal. Turn right after customs and find a small opening with a guard to get into the domestic area. It's not very obvious. Bring a print out of your itinerary to make access to the domestic airport easier!!

2) How does the luggage work in DEL? Pick it up at baggage claim, exit customs and immigration, and then
* Is there a transit desk that I can drop the bag off at?
* Do I have to go to the domestic checkin section?

you will have to collect your luggage, go through customs and check in with your connecting airline. If your connecting flight is not leaving from the same terminal you have to go to a different building. I've done it before, but don't know if there is a shuttle bus.

3) Do I line up with everyone else at security (a-la most U.S. airports)? Or, is there a separate line/section for international arrivals (a-la Heathrow. well, kinda)

yes

4) The connection time in BLR is now 2:10 (1745 to 1955). Assuming no fog (big if. *big* if!), is that enough time?

2 hours was plenty of time for me to have dinner and connect. You will probably get another dinner on the 9W flight, I did.

The point to all of the above is that I either check a bag or just carry-on. I usually just carry-on, but this is a bit of a weird trip, and it would just make my life easier to check (sigh)

you should be ok with checking a bag. I had a few minutes to exchange some money right there by the luggage carrussels before the bags arrived.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat 4mil miles, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by psyflyer

Outbound from Delhi there is a shared lounge., If you are connecting to a domestic flight with 9W they will not let you into their lounge. At least they would not let me in. There is a AMEX Platinum club
Old Dec 3, 2011, 1:49 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
With regards to the shuttle between the domestic budget terminal (1D) and T3 it is free and ostensibly runs ever 15 minutes. For convenience I just take a prepaid taxi for something like 200 Rs. No airline checks bags between the terminals, even for domestic connections.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.