Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium
international connection

Hi everyone,

I've literally read this thread and others but have a questions regarding international connections from Delhi. My parents are flying from Memphis to Delhi on American and then Jet to KTM. I bought the tickets via AA and upgraded to business. They are going to overnight in Delhi for their next day 12pm flight on Jet to KTM.

1. Can they check their luggage all the way to KTM or do they need to pick up their stuff and recheck the next day?

2. Which baggage rules apply (American or Jet) for how many they can check in?

Thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by chicagoyeti
Hi everyone,

I've literally read this thread and others but have a questions regarding international connections from Delhi. My parents are flying from Memphis to Delhi on American and then Jet to KTM. I bought the tickets via AA and upgraded to business. They are going to overnight in Delhi for their next day 12pm flight on Jet to KTM.

1. Can they check their luggage all the way to KTM or do they need to pick up their stuff and recheck the next day?

2. Which baggage rules apply (American or Jet) for how many they can check in?

Thanks!
They will have to pick up and clear that night.

If they are doing J onto KTM they should get their luggage taken care of as well. Even economy IIRC (last month) was free as well for my one bag.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium
Thanks for the quick reply. They are flying coach on Jet from Del to KTM. I'm guessing they will have to pay to check a second bag. When I called Jet they said American Airlines baggage rule would apply so I was not sure. I trust flyertalkers.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:00 pm

Programs: CO Plat; UA 1K; EK Gold
Originally Posted by chicagoyeti
Thanks for the quick reply. They are flying coach on Jet from Del to KTM. I'm guessing they will have to pay to check a second bag. When I called Jet they said American Airlines baggage rule would apply so I was not sure. I trust flyertalkers.
just tell them to show the AA boarding passes they get from the US.
India based airlines (esp, Jet and Kingfisher as well as AirIndia) are very good at honoring baggage allowances for international pax. Of course, they wont accept anything unreasonable.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I connect at DEL a lot, but only domestically so I am only speculating about an international connection, but it is still worth checking with AA. If the connecting time in DEL is just overnight, this may qualify as a connection rather than stopover and you may be able to check the bags through.

In most countries such interlining happens quite smoothly. The US doesn't allow it, and everyone has to walk their luggage through the customs. I don't know if India has similar rules. But I would call AA and inquire.

If you do have to check them in again, the advice to keep the boarding passes is good. Tell the check-in desk that you are connecting from an international flight. It can only help.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
I connect at DEL a lot, but only domestically so I am only speculating about an international connection, but it is still worth checking with AA. If the connecting time in DEL is just overnight, this may qualify as a connection rather than stopover and you may be able to check the bags through.

In most countries such interlining happens quite smoothly. The US doesn't allow it, and everyone has to walk their luggage through the customs. I don't know if India has similar rules. But I would call AA and inquire.

If you do have to check them in again, the advice to keep the boarding passes is good. Tell the check-in desk that you are connecting from an international flight. It can only help.
You must claim your bags when arriving in India. Plus it is not advisable to count on the airlines to interline your bags in DEL. A wise traveler will transfer their own bags from AA to their domestic airline.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.6MM, HH Silver, Marriott Silver
Ugh... DEL

I need to go back to India again next month and am considering flying from LHR to BLR just to avoid the chaos of DEL. The outbound flight is not a problem.

The DEL domestic to Int'l transfer is a disaster. Last time through DEL, I had a 3 hr connection window and barely made it through the baggage claim, check-in and security. (I would normally fly ORD to DEL as the most direct route.) The flight boarding from DEL to ORD was equally as puzzling as the gate team decided to borad group 6 first. I did speak with AA Customer Service about this choatic boarding process and they saif they'd look in to it.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by jpm-indy
The DEL domestic to Int'l transfer is a disaster.
I've been doing it at least twice a year for 5 years; never a problem besides the well-advertised chaos.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt GP Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by snod08
just tell them to show the AA boarding passes they get from the US.
India based airlines (esp, Jet and Kingfisher as well as AirIndia) are very good at honoring baggage allowances for international pax. Of course, they wont accept anything unreasonable.
As long as the passengers can prove to the airlines that they are coming in from an international flight, the international allowances apply. I have traveled by connecting to other airlines, which were on a different PNR and never had any problem, as long as I show them the boarding pass of the intl. flight.

If the TA does not allow it because of a different PNR, ask for the duty manager and they will approve it.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:09 am

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
First time through DEL

I have been re-routed from HKG to BKK to DEL on CX then on to ORD on AA and home to GCM after being stuck for a few days.

A few questions:

Do I have to pick-up my bags in DEL or will they go right through to GCM?

Do I have to clear immigration in DEL or can I just go in transit?

Any other tips?

Thanks
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Originally Posted by caymancanuck
I have been re-routed from HKG to BKK to DEL on CX then on to ORD on AA and home to GCM after being stuck for a few days.
A few questions:

Do I have to pick-up my bags in DEL or will they go right through to GCM?
Do I have to clear immigration in DEL or can I just go in transit?
Any other tips?

Thanks
re: in theory, your bags should go right thru. If you check your bags all the way to GCM, you won't be able to pick them up anyway. However, in June 2009 my wife and i checked our bags on Jet Airways in KTM thru to SFO, via DEL and ORD. the Jet Airways baggage handlers refused to deliver them for 3 days to AA, even though they are partners. Eventually the AA staff had to go over to Jet and carry them back to AA. We got the two bags delivered to us by AA four days after we got home. good luck.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Does AA have any Hindi-speaking FA's on the DEL flight? Thanks.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Xero
Does AA have any Hindi-speaking FA's on the DEL flight? Thanks.
Nope. Though the F/J menu and the safety instruction video is in Hindi.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Just a reminder that the Delhi airport is strict on paperwork. They will not let you in the terminal without an printed itin and boarding pass.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jpm-indy
I need to go back to India again next month and am considering flying from LHR to BLR just to avoid the chaos of DEL. The outbound flight is not a problem.

The DEL domestic to Int'l transfer is a disaster. Last time through DEL, I had a 3 hr connection window and barely made it through the baggage claim, check-in and security. (I would normally fly ORD to DEL as the most direct route.) The flight boarding from DEL to ORD was equally as puzzling as the gate team decided to borad group 6 first. I did speak with AA Customer Service about this choatic boarding process and they saif they'd look in to it.
Yes, they board coach first but then they wait on the jetway. First and bus board the actual plane first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.