Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

Useful info for AA passengers to Delhi and beyond (consolidated)

 

Old May 15, 09, 11:39 am
  #166  
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Posts: 10,525
Originally Posted by mikeef View Post
This was my third trip to DEL in the past few years and my second in a month, and I've just decided that the best way to deal with it is to go with the flow (which is very difficult for me, since I am an anal SOB). I've given up on trying to figure out this airport.
Wise words
dstan is offline  
Old May 15, 09, 12:20 pm
  #167  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Posts: 13,511
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
I believe I was on the same return flight from DEL after spending a week in DEL, BLR and BOM.

This was my first visit to India but based on my experience the "go with the flow" model can be applied throughout the country, not just to DEL airport.


We just spent the month of January in Bombay. Taking two Type-A personalities and asking us to deal with Indian bureaucracy put a lot of gray hair on our heads! We found BOM, however, to be far more civilized than DEL.

Oh, one other general hint: If you are in the middle section of J (which is 2-3-2), pick the aisle seat on the HJ side of the plane, since the lav is on the AB side. The middle seat will climb over the other person.

Mike

Last edited by dstan; May 16, 09 at 1:02 am Reason: redacted response to deleted post
mikeef is offline  
Old Jun 3, 09, 1:57 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SNA, LAX
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 1,291
What is with the boarding order at DEL? Makes absolutely no sense. Board Y first, then J and F!! In the end everyone ends up waiting in the jetway anyway!
riteshraja is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 9:37 am
  #169  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,683
Mrs.Grates3 and I flew 292 in J on 5/28. Some seats in F open, but J only had 2 middles empty, and coach was VERY VERY full, including about 80 children.
We are returning on 6/15 with the Mrs in F (award ticket) and me (sigh) in Bizclass "C" inventory again. I will try for the elusive 2X upgrade.... and report back to y'all of course.

First we've got to get to DEL from KTM, no small feat considering all the strikes happening almost every day in Nepal now. We were stuck in one for 1.5 hours yesterday.... couldn't move except on foot and barely made it to the Biratnagar airport in time.
btw - Buddha Air has a really brand new ATR42, quite nice 40 min flight to KTM.
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 9:51 am
  #170  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
Mrs.Grates3 and I flew 292 in J on 5/28. Some seats in F open, but J only had 2 middles empty, and coach was VERY VERY full, including about 80 children.
We are returning on 6/15 with the Mrs in F (award ticket) and me (sigh) in Bizclass "C" inventory again. I will try for the elusive 2X upgrade.... and report back to y'all of course.

First we've got to get to DEL from KTM, no small feat considering all the strikes happening almost every day in Nepal now. We were stuck in one for 1.5 hours yesterday.... couldn't move except on foot and barely made it to the Biratnagar airport in time.
btw - Buddha Air has a really brand new ATR42, quite nice 40 min flight to KTM.
Senor Grates3 - I was in J on the ORD-DEL flight on 5/28 as well. Not sure if you have dealt with the DEL airport or not before, but when you return to the airport looking for that 2x upgrade, get there a little earlier than you might otherwise as this would really have to be done at the check in counter. The supervisor there (cannot remember his name) is extremely nice and seems to be the go to guy for all such type questions. Hopefully Y is oversold on your flight!! GOOD LUCK!
Pony Soup is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 10:09 am
  #171  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Pony Soup View Post
Senor Grates3 - I was in J on the ORD-DEL flight on 5/28 as well. Not sure if you have dealt with the DEL airport or not before, but when you return to the airport looking for that 2x upgrade, get there a little earlier than you might otherwise as this would really have to be done at the check in counter. !! GOOD LUCK!
Dang, i wish a could have said a big Tejas hello!
thanks for that advice...

We stayed overnight at the Radisson before going to KTM the next day, so I am a little bit familiar with DEL. However, I've never been in transit there. I will try to check luggage thru Jet Airways KTM-DEL then AA293. Those two segments are unlinked and on two separate tickets. After arriving at DEL, how do I check in with AA without leaving security?
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 10:35 am
  #172  
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: JFK/LGA
Programs: AA PLT/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH Diamond
Posts: 4,984
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
Dang, i wish a could have said a big Tejas hello!
thanks for that advice...

We stayed overnight at the Radisson before going to KTM the next day, so I am a little bit familiar with DEL. However, I've never been in transit there. I will try to check luggage thru Jet Airways KTM-DEL then AA293. Those two segments are unlinked and on two separate tickets. After arriving at DEL, how do I check in with AA without leaving security?
I am not sure if you can do an international to international connection at DEL without going land side. You cannot do a domestic to international (or vv) connection air side- two separate terminals. If you need to transit between the terminals arranging a car service in advance is a good idea. And if needing to go landside i am pretty sure you will need a visa.

I imagine the KTM flights use the international terminal but I would double check.
pauleeepaul is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 10:40 am
  #173  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul View Post
I am not sure if you can do an international to international connection at DEL without going land side. You cannot do a domestic to international (or vv) connection air side- two separate terminals. If you need to transit between the terminals arranging a car service in advance is a good idea. And if needing to go landside i am pretty sure you will need a visa.

I imagine the KTM flights use the international terminal but I would double check.
thanks,
Yes, Jet Air to KTM used the int'l terminal, so I suppose the return is the same. Fortunately, we got 6 mo. visas instead of transit visas, so we are ok for going landside. Maybe we should check bags just to DEL and recheck with AA to be safe?

btw - i can't believe the size of the new DEL int'l terminal they are building for the Commonwealth Games next year - looks like an attempt to oneup LHR T5.
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jun 8, 09, 2:29 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA
Posts: 135
FYI, Mr. Grates!

Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
thanks,
Yes, Jet Air to KTM used the int'l terminal, so I suppose the return is the same. Fortunately, we got 6 mo. visas instead of transit visas, so we are ok for going landside. Maybe we should check bags just to DEL and recheck with AA to be safe?

btw - i can't believe the size of the new DEL int'l terminal they are building for the Commonwealth Games next year - looks like an attempt to oneup LHR T5.
<OT>

If you decide to check your bags to DEL and arrive at the Int'l terminal:

Pick up your bags after the Swine Flu station and customs, then exit to landside, handing the remaining portion of the entry form to the guards at the exit. After walking down the "welcome lane" (where all the taxi and car people are lined up on the sides!), you should see an exit to your left where there are guards with guns. I believe the signs there are directing you to private parking or something. Exit there, go up the stairs that are immediately to your left as you exit and cross the street to enter the check in area. You will need a print out of your AA itinerary to enter. Once inside, you can go to the AA counter and check in, which is fairly swift for J, though I recommend doing this as early as you can.

AA will give you an invite to the lounge. To get there, you must fill out the exit forms and proceed through customs. When you exit that area, security is directly ahead of you. If you have time for the lounge, do not enter the secured area. Turn right, go up stairs, and the AA affiliated lounge is straight ahead, but the unlabeled one on the right. Someone is sitting at a normal sized wooden desk and will take your card. Not much to see here and generally quite crowded, but you can get some drinks.

For the 12:15am departure, I would leave to go through security at approx 11pm. There is a dedicated area for J & F security: use it. Pretty easy, security - no need to take off shoes. Make sure to get all carryon priority aacess tags stamped by the xray guy as this is required for boarding. Once through, find the gate and grab a seat, but not too close. Time to relax.

When it is time to start boarding, don't go anywhere. They won't tell you this at check in, but they will start with Group 1 and proceed with the coach cabin. Both trips, I watched as DYKWIA pax demanded to board their J seats..a bit amusing. In any event, be prepared for three additional security checks after passing through the first door.

1) Security Questions/ Passport Check
2) Bag Search
3) Handheld Metal Detector (split M/F lines)

Finally, you are ready for the flight! And don't worry, you will walk pass all of the Y pax who have been checked and now wait in the hot, over crowded jet bridge for the premium cabins to board! Enjoy!
Pony Soup is offline  
Old Jun 14, 09, 10:42 am
  #175  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Pony Soup View Post
<OT>

If you decide to check your bags to DEL and arrive at the Int'l terminal:

Pick up your bags after the Swine Flu station and customs, then exit to landside, handing the remaining portion of the entry form to the guards at the exit. After walking down the "welcome lane" (where all the taxi and car people are lined up on the sides!), you should see an exit to your left where there are guards with guns. I believe the signs there are directing you to private parking or something. Exit there, go up the stairs that are immediately to your left as you exit and cross the street to enter the check in area. You will need a print out of your AA itinerary to enter. Once inside, you can go to the AA counter and check in, which is fairly swift for J, though I recommend doing this as early as you can.

AA will give you an invite to the lounge. To get there, you must fill out the exit forms and proceed through customs. When you exit that area, security is directly ahead of you. If you have time for the lounge, do not enter the secured area. Turn right, go up stairs, and the AA affiliated lounge is straight ahead, but the unlabeled one on the right. Someone is sitting at a normal sized wooden desk and will take your card. Not much to see here and generally quite crowded, but you can get some drinks.

For the 12:15am departure, I would leave to go through security at approx 11pm. There is a dedicated area for J & F security: use it. Pretty easy, security - no need to take off shoes. Make sure to get all carryon priority aacess tags stamped by the xray guy as this is required for boarding. Once through, find the gate and grab a seat, but not too close. Time to relax.

When it is time to start boarding, don't go anywhere. They won't tell you this at check in, but they will start with Group 1 and proceed with the coach cabin. Both trips, I watched as DYKWIA pax demanded to board their J seats..a bit amusing. In any event, be prepared for three additional security checks after passing through the first door.

1) Security Questions/ Passport Check
2) Bag Search
3) Handheld Metal Detector (split M/F lines)

Finally, you are ready for the flight! And don't worry, you will walk pass all of the Y pax who have been checked and now wait in the hot, over crowded jet bridge for the premium cabins to board! Enjoy!
Very good advice so far, Pony Soup. We checked our bags with 9W in KTM all the way thru to SFO, so it will be interesting to see if they arrive ok.
Mrs. Grates3 and I are in the Welcome lounge waiting another 2 hrs for departure. We arrived from Kathmandu about 5pm, so had a lot of time to kill. The CIFS guard at the door wouldn't let us in until 9pm, so we cooled our heels across the street in the food court/waiting area (aircon! so nice, but the only thing nice).

I did not get the 2X upgrade, in spite of the supervisor chatting about it. (oh well, maybe the FAs will let me have brkfst with the Mrs. in up the inner sanctum of T7 F. (hope does spring eternal). I will report back on that experience, or non-experience as the case may be.
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 09, 8:14 am
  #176  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
Very good advice so far, Pony Soup.


Originally Posted by billgrates3 View Post
I did not get the 2X upgrade, in spite of the supervisor chatting about it.
Pony Soup is offline  
Old Jun 16, 09, 12:48 pm
  #177  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Buffalo, New York
Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by Pony Soup View Post

When it is time to start boarding, don't go anywhere. They won't tell you this at check in, but they will start with Group 1 and proceed with the coach cabin. Both trips, I watched as DYKWIA pax demanded to board their J seats..a bit amusing. In any event, be prepared for three additional security checks after passing through the first door.

1) Security Questions/ Passport Check
2) Bag Search
3) Handheld Metal Detector (split M/F lines)

Finally, you are ready for the flight! And don't worry, you will walk pass all of the Y pax who have been checked and now wait in the hot, over crowded jet bridge for the premium cabins to board! Enjoy!
Not the way it worked in my case. Was on this flight 2 weeks ago, in F. They announced F and J boarding first (ahead of Y pax, who had clogged up all access points...quite a challenge getting through)...went through all the security and searches as described above, and proceeded to my seat. Guessing they then called main cabin starting with Group1.
Howgart is offline  
Old Jun 16, 09, 6:24 pm
  #178  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SFO/OAK
Programs: AA PPro 3.3MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
Posts: 2,683
Originally Posted by Howgart View Post
Not the way it worked in my case. Was on this flight 2 weeks ago, in F. They announced F and J boarding first (ahead of Y pax, who had clogged up all access points...quite a challenge getting through)...went through all the security and searches as described above, and proceeded to my seat. Guessing they then called main cabin starting with Group1.
This was exactly how it worked for us... lots of Y pax waiting in the hot/humid jetway while we passed them into the plane... a very odd system.

Btw - re: the 2X upgrade on AA293 6/15/09, there were only 3 pax in F, including Mrs.Grates3. The supposedly nice supe didn't go for my plea to sit next to/near Mrs.Grates3... probably cuz there were at least 5 empty seats in J, including the one next to me (I was in 10A). Y was full, including the usual loud screaming kids.
billgrates3 is offline  
Old Jun 16, 09, 11:17 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Texas
Programs: AA
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by Howgart View Post
Not the way it worked in my case. Was on this flight 2 weeks ago, in F. They announced F and J boarding first (ahead of Y pax, who had clogged up all access points...quite a challenge getting through)...went through all the security and searches as described above, and proceeded to my seat. Guessing they then called main cabin starting with Group1.
Wouldn't surprise me if the "boarding" process/order at DEL has been officially changed. I watched a number of PA pax wait near the entrance and then proceed to let others know that they felt they should be called first. I have spoken with AA Customer Relations regarding my entire MR trip and made a point to suggest that they convey the order that they will invite pax into the jet bridge to their J/F and PA customers upon check in, just to avoid any frustration from those who want to board first and weren't aware they would get to the plane before the Y pax. Perhaps they have heard from others too and decided to change.
Pony Soup is offline  
Old Jan 21, 10, 2:31 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Programs: OW Emerald/AA EXP, DL Plat, SPG Plat,
Posts: 4,859
Any recent experiences?

will be doing this trip in a couple of weeks.

Have already read dstan's summary on it over in Trip Reports.
skye1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread