Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Should we have sticky where people can post current AA.com promo codes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)

My question is inspired by my need for one, but I was thinking wouldn't it be nice anyway to have a sticky where we could maintain a list of AA.com promo codes?
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:08 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Inasmuch as they're available on AA.com, and the interesting ones are routinely posted here, I'm not sure that a sticky would serve a useful purpose...it would be long and cluttered with all of the expired promotions.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 2:49 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Inasmuch as they're available on AA.com, and the interesting ones are routinely posted here, I'm not sure that a sticky would serve a useful purpose...it would be long and cluttered with all of the expired promotions.
Cheers.

Not to mention the fact there was at one time a thread of discount codes here which was removed by the site admins - no doubt at the request of AMR.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
It just seems that the only purpose that this would serve is to keep people from posting "Can I get a promo code to xxx?" threads. I've always posted DF codes as they've come up as I've noticed others doing as well. Unless there is some serious PM action happening behind the scenes to the OPs of these threads, I think that people are pretty forthcoming with them meaning that there is no need to ask about.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP (1.5MM), Hilton/SPG/Marriott Gold
Seems like for a current list, we should use the Wiki.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:26 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
Not to mention the fact there was at one time a thread of discount codes here which was removed by the site admins - no doubt at the request of AMR.
I was thinking that the intent of the OP was for legit codes (available to all) and not scammed codes. In the latter case, it wouldn't stay around even if it was started.

Cheers.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
I was thinking that the intent of the OP was for legit codes (available to all) and not scammed codes. In the latter case, it wouldn't stay around even if it was started.

Cheers.
Aren't the "legitimate" codes the ones found at aa.com?

Targetted codes are sent to specific people
Meeting codes are easily found by those attending specific meetings, usually by going to the website of the meeting, or when signing up for meetings.

I know there are people that do google searches and find codes, but these are people planning on getting a discount simply for traveling to a city where there happens to be a meeting. It might be only 5 pecent, but if you aren't going to the meeting/convention that the code is for, you shouldn't be using it.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:36 pm

What with Dealfinder not supporting Macs I have been appreciative of those who have posted a few codes in the past several months. I don't think it's worthy of a sticky, but I hope people keep posting them.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
There's a middle ground between meeting-specific codes and public codes listed on AA.com.

I'm thinking, for example, of the ones that AA gave out at Dallas Mavericks and Stars games this past season. I suppose you could call those targeted, technically, but the target group was simply anyone who happened to attend the game that night...
Old Jun 3, 2008, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by swag
There's a middle ground between meeting-specific codes and public codes listed on AA.com.

I'm thinking, for example, of the ones that AA gave out at Dallas Mavericks and Stars games this past season. I suppose you could call those targeted, technically, but the target group was simply anyone who happened to attend the game that night...
Correct: If you were at the game, you were given the code.
If you didn't attend the game you weren't entitled to the code, so there would be no reason to put it in a sticky
Old Jun 3, 2008, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I see the idea has not exactly taken this forum by storm. My thought was, people are making all these requests in scattered posts anyway, a sticky would collect them in one place.

As pointed out by brp, I did not mean anything illegal. Just legit stuff that is hard to find when you need it.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I really don't see the need for it. AA.com or bust..
Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aktchi
I see the idea has not exactly taken this forum by storm. My thought was, people are making all these requests in scattered posts anyway, a sticky would collect them in one place.

As pointed out by brp, I did not mean anything illegal. Just legit stuff that is hard to find when you need it.
What, specifically, are your referring to?
What kind of codes?
Targeted codes are sent directly to those entitled to them.
Codes for use by all are on aa.com already.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by alien
What with Dealfinder not supporting Macs I have been appreciative of those who have posted a few codes in the past several months. I don't think it's worthy of a sticky, but I hope people keep posting them.
I should certainly hope not.

Every DealFinder user has explicitly accepted the T&Cs of DF, which clearly state (emphasis added):
"You are eligible to receive exclusive DealFinder offers and discounts from American Airlines. These offers may not be distributed or published. To receive these messages you must read the terms and conditions and agree not to share the information."
Let's stop abusing the rules and begin policing ourselves. If we don't, it'll only hurt all of us (and we certainly have enough examples of that).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 4, 2008, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I should certainly hope not.

Every DealFinder user has explicitly accepted the T&Cs of DF, which clearly state (emphasis added):

Let's stop abusing the rules and begin policing ourselves. If we don't, it'll only hurt all of us (and we certainly have enough examples of that).

-FlyerBeek
I very, very strongly second this excellent suggestion from FlyerBeek.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.