Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WAS Co-Terminals: IAD & DCA, what about BWI?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

WAS Co-Terminals: IAD & DCA, what about BWI?

Does AA consider BWI to be a co-terminal with IAD and DCA?

I found a fare on ITA where in the fare rules it says that BWI and WAS (IAD/DCA) are co-terminals. When I pulled up the same exact fare on AA.com, the rules only state that DCA and IAD are co-terminals.

I assume that AA.com is more authoritative on the matter?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
I assume that AA.com is more authoritative on the matter?
In theory, and probably from a legal standpoint, but it's buggy.

You may want to use Travelocity; it pulls the COMPLETE fare rules from Sabre, and those are golden. Or...

City pair, fare basis designator and travel date please!

Incidentally, you're not confusing co-terminals (which are ONLY used for FARE CONSTRUCTION, and are now renamed "THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT") with the airports where AA allows you to standby from, correct?
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BWI-ABQ 10 June Fare Basis: O7RDN

Originally Posted by AA.com
THE PSGR MAY CHECK-IN AND STANDBY FROM/TO ONE OF THE AIRPORTS LISTED BELOW. CITY - AIRPORT CHI - MDW/ORD HOU - HOU/IAH NYC - EWR/JFK/LGA WAS - DCA/IAD DFW - DFW/DAL
Originally Posted by ITA
NOTE - THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT-
BWI-WAS FLL-MIA OAK-SFO OAK-SJC SFO-SJC NYC-EWR
NYC-ISP NYC-HPN EWR-ISP EWR-HPN HPN-ISP LAX-ONT
LAX-BUR LAX-SNA ONT-BUR ONT-SNA BUR-SNA LGB-ONT
LGB-SNA LGB-LAX LGB-BUR

....UNLESS RESTRICTED BY THE FARE CHARGED/ WHEN
TICKETED FROM/TO CHI/HOU/NYC/WAS/DFW THE PSGR
MAY CHECK-IN AND STANDBY FROM/TO ONE OF THE
AIRPORTS LISTED BELOW.
CITY - AIRPORT
CHI - MDW/ORD
HOU - HOU/IAH
NYC - EWR/JFK/LGA
WAS - DCA/IAD
DFW - DFW/DAL
Old Jun 2, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Originally Posted by Doppy
BWI-ABQ 10 June Fare Basis: O7RDN
Kind of answers your own question I think.

WAS is defined as DCA and IAD while BWI is on its own.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

duplicate
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Doppy,

You are confusing standby rules (which is what it's in your quote from AA.com and the second half of the quote from ITA) and fare construction rules (f.k.a. co-terminals, which is the first half of what you're quoting from ITA). They're both accurate, just two different things!

And yes, BWI and WAS are two separate fare cities.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA GLD, soon-to-be PLT in 2 weeks!
Also, if you look for fares on aa.com (or any other site I have come accross) if you enter WAS as either the departure or arrival cities you can use either DCA or IAD.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 7:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, HHonors Silver, Pre✓®
I know before a lot of AA promo codes used BWI/IAD/DCA as the same destination.. for conferences and such. But yeah, fare rules are different. When I fly home to BWI area.. if I can't get good fare I'll search the other two.

Not that BWI's name of "Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport" confuses anyone wanting to fly to either major city You don't see too many airports with multiple major city names in them.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, National Emerald Club
BWI is definitely not a co-terminal. I used to live right next to DCA but would often fly out of BWI because of the $369 o/w fares bwi to dfw because they were competing with AirTrain on the route. As many know the dca to dfw o/w fares could be $800 or more.

Once in awhile you will get a clueless or extremely nice GA who will let it slide and re-book you into dca or iad when you check-in if you ask nicely. This only happened about 20% of the time though and that was more than a year ago.

BWI has a completely different fare structure system than the otheres due to all the LCC competition.
Old Jun 2, 2008, 8:35 pm

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Originally Posted by hillrider
Doppy,

You are confusing standby rules and fare construction rules
OK, what are those rules, and what does "THE CITY PAIRS BELOW ARE CONSIDERED THE SAME POINT" mean in the rules?

I asked this once before on this forum, and got conflicting answers. One person said you could fly standby to another city if it is a "pair" with the destination on your ticket. (I've tried that, and it did not work.) Another person said you can use a city pair as the start and finish of an open-jaw round trip ticket, e.g., LAX-DFW-BUR. (But that doesn't seem to work. When I try it on aa.com, the ticket gets priced at available fares for each leg, i.e., LAX-DFW at one fare and DFW-BUR at another.)

So what are city pairs, and how do you use them???
Old Jun 2, 2008, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hillrider
And yes, BWI and WAS are two separate fare cities.
But doesn't the first part of the ITA blurb seem to suggest that they are not if they're the "same point"? Or are you saying that they can be considered the same point but also different for fare construction purposes (e.g. a BWI-outbound ticket that required a roundtrip could have the return requirement satisfied with the return to DCA on a different fare)?

Originally Posted by 777-DCA
Also, if you look for fares on aa.com (or any other site I have come accross) if you enter WAS as either the departure or arrival cities you can use either DCA or IAD.
or BWI.

"WAS" = IAD, DCA, and BWI on AA.com, ITA, and united.com, just to name three.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.